Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Pain in ankle after HTO  (Read 2758 times)

Offline and4400

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
Pain in ankle after HTO
« on: August 11, 2010, 03:24:57 AM »
Hi I just wondered if any of you had alot of pain in your lower leg after surgery. I had an open wedge HTO done about ten days ago, and i've got quite a bit of pain in my ankle area. My guess is that the blood pooled up and is causing the pain. Any insight would be great. Andy
osteochondritis dissecans  RT. knee
Debridement Oct 06
Bone grafts 3x3cm defect MFC(harvest ACI)Dec 06
Scope Apr 07
ACI done July 07
Scope May 08,Scope Dec09
surgery #8 Oats(MFC) Open wedge HTO July 10'

Offline Bigfuzzie

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
Re: Pain in ankle after HTO
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2010, 05:58:07 PM »
I had a HTO done on July 7, and I recall having a ton of pain in the bones of my foot.  Not until I started to walk did I have pain in my ankle.  The pain in my foot has gone away, and the ankle is getting better as time goes on.  Good luck

Offline bluey27

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2011, 04:34:39 AM »
Hi
I had a HTO on Feb 2009 and had a lot of ankle pain (which I  think is a common side effect) . It went away as I healed and is not there today.  Also had tingling and numbness in my big toe.  I think it has to do with the nerves that are cut during the op.  Hope all goes well and don't forget to do your exercises as much as you can.
Brad

cdubb

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2011, 04:40:13 PM »
I am 9 weeks out of a TTO (tibial tuburcle osteotomy) and had terrible ankle pain. It hurt way more than the knee.  My docs PA's told me that it was likely periosteitis (inflammation of the lining of the bone) from blood tracking down the bone lining and pooling there.  I did have bruising all the way into the lower leg, ankle and foot, so that makes sense. It really was more of a burning though.  At 9 weeks out, I still nerve type, hypersensitivity, redness and burning foot issues, but they are improving. I think the foot issue was the same thing I had going on early on post op with the ankle.  I found ice to be very helpful and I was icing the ankle as often as the knee and I still ice the foot/ankle as often as I ice the knee.