Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: New and need some advice  (Read 759 times)

Offline pearidgemomma

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
New and need some advice
« on: August 06, 2010, 01:49:02 PM »
Hello, Dec. 10, 2009 I shattered my kneecap and endured two surgeries to repair.  I have retained less than 3/4 of the patella, and found out later that I had torn the quad muscle and patella tendon off as well.  I am finally walking unaided, and can bend close to 90 degrees (took forver, but rather proud of that!).  My main thing is that I still have lots of pain, and will attempt a second opinion (if allowed), since I am currently told that I "shouldn't be in pain".  I ice down every day, and try to not over do it, but as a single mom of teenagers, that is very hard to accomplish.  Need some advice, and has anyone ever had something like this happen?  I have meet several knee replacements, ACL repairs etc., but no one around here who did what I did to my knee, I fell directly on it  :(
Trish

Offline dm

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 19
  • I hate my knee!! :(
Re: New and need some advice
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2010, 02:12:44 PM »
I can't say as I've had the same injury, but I have had repeated injuries, and I would make a couple comments.
One, if all they do is make the generic comment, "you shouldn't be in pain" they obviously aren't thinking, they aren't in your skin.
two, there could be adhesions - scar tissue making things stick together and cause pain, with all that damage, keeping things from moving as they should. Has this possibility been considered?
three, the tendons take a LONG time to heal, and it's only been 8 months since you detached them. I'd ask about hardware, and I'm wondering if you've had any recent xrays to show if you've had any hardware migration, if a fixative device has shifted, and something's rubbing, then that could cause problems. They had to reattach your tendons somehow - screws, wire, etc, which is probably still there, is my guess.

Pain control - in addition to ice, you could ask about topical pain relief like voltaren, an nsaid gel you apply to the joint, or lidoderm patches, an anesthetic patch you apply to the joint. They aren't systemic pain control, nor narcotic, so they aren't as likely to cause issues with other things. Neither are super potent, but dial down what you feel a couple notches. Worth asking about if it bothers you that much.

You might try heat instead of ice with the possibility of hardware in the knee, and see if that gives any better pain relief. Some find that ice with metal inthere is more painful. Just a thought.
multiple arthroscopies 2/00,3/01,6/01,1/03, 12/07,10/10. chondromalacia, severe medial joint space narrowing following 3 partial menisectomies, chronic pain problems, kneecap problems, OCD lesion, failed mfx.

support