Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Peroneus Brevis Tendon Transplant  (Read 1060 times)

Offline LoisAnnie

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Peroneus Brevis Tendon Transplant
« on: August 05, 2010, 07:49:56 PM »
Hi, I am new to this site so I hope it is OK to post this.  During a hip replacement operation, my sciatic nerve was cut three quarters
of the wiay through.  I consequently suffered foot drop and numbness to my foot and leg.  I then had a nerve graft to repair the
sciatic nerve.   The upshot of all this is, now, nearly five years later,  I have altered feeling in my leg and foot and I can move my
toes just enough to clear the ground, except my big toe, which still doesnt move.   My surgeon has now suggested a double tendon
transplant, which he says will lift my foot further up and also move my big toe, which will enable me to walk without tripping and
having to lift my foot up to clear the floor.

Has anyone else had this tendon transplant operation?   did it help like it was supposed to?   I understand there will be six weeks
non weightbearing while the leg is in plaster and quite a long recovery period of physio.   I have come quite a long way since this
happened, and I am just scared I might regret having this operation.   I would be grateful for any comments anyone might have
to help me decide what to do.

Thank you

Offline TricKnee

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
Re: Peroneus Brevis Tendon Transplant
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2011, 07:53:45 PM »
I am in a similar situation and wondered if you had the surgery?

Offline LoisAnnie

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
Re: Peroneus Brevis Tendon Transplant
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2011, 08:07:25 PM »
Hi TricKnee,  I didn't have the double tendon transplant in the end, because I have recovered up to a point, I decided to go for a less
invasive operation instead.   If I hadn't had any improvement at all, I think I would have risked it.  I had a tendon tie instead, which was
the tendon to my big toe was tied to the tendons that move my other toes, in the hope that the big toe would then move up with the
other toes.   Unfortunately this didnt happen, I could have another operation, but have decided against it.

Drop foot and nerve injury is awful and I do sympathise with you.  I am sorry I cannot really answer your question.   I wish you luck.

support