Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: MRI results....confused  (Read 2645 times)

Offline chandra

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
MRI results....confused
« on: July 23, 2011, 10:47:20 PM »
HI.

I have got my MRI results on my right knee. It says that there is subchondral stress edema on my lateral side of the knee cap with chondromalcia.

Can any body please let me know what is subchondral stress edema? Is it bone bruise? will it heal? Because it's been almost a year since I am having pain.

Offline Vickster

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 370
  • Neelie knee!
Re: MRI results....confused
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2011, 10:59:43 PM »
I think most likely a bone bruise, these seem to be the words used (but check with your OS!) - these can take a long time to heal - I had this in my femur, was told could take a year to heal - I had 2 MRIs about 9 months apart, clear on the 1st scan, not obvious to my untrained eye on the second one, although the bone below the cartilage (fibrocartilage/scar tissue in my case) is evidently damaged (jaggedy compared to the rest of the bone  :-\

What grade is the cartilage damage as you could also have damage to the subchondral bone.  Was the damage due to trauma?
Came off bike onto concrete 9/9/09
LK arthroscopy 8/2/10
2nd scope on 16/12/10
RK arthroscopy on 5/2/15
Lateral meniscus trim, excision of hoffa's fat pad, chondral stabilisation
LK scope 10.1.19 medial menisectomy, trochlea microfracture, general tidy up

Offline chandra

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2011, 11:39:04 PM »
it's grade 2 and it's not because of trauma so I believe it's because of overuse.

Offline Vickster

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 370
  • Neelie knee!
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2011, 10:40:58 PM »
Ah ok, best way to deal with Grade II is to get the leg muscles nice and strong.  Not a lot else to do at this point, as softened cartilage rather than any holes - nothing to patch up for example with cartilage repair like MACI. 

You could perhaps discuss getting any raggedy bits tidied up arthroscopically.  I had grade III on patella tidied up and was still looking good 9 months later according to the OS.

Also, might be worth getting your alignment checked  If you do end up with holes and needing patching up, the rate of success on the patella is relatively poor especially if there is a tracking issue, the repair won't take. 

I have grade I-II all over my tibia apparently due to being knock-kneed, hence cannot repair the femoral defect on the opposite surface without an osteotomy as the chance of success is too low.
Came off bike onto concrete 9/9/09
LK arthroscopy 8/2/10
2nd scope on 16/12/10
RK arthroscopy on 5/2/15
Lateral meniscus trim, excision of hoffa's fat pad, chondral stabilisation
LK scope 10.1.19 medial menisectomy, trochlea microfracture, general tidy up