Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: ACI on lateral femoral condyle  (Read 18401 times)

Offline barnee21

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Re: ACI on lateral femoral condyle
« Reply #60 on: November 08, 2010, 07:16:12 PM »
Hi Renn,

Thank-you for your time again, I am guessing that there is an error in the letter as far as I was concerned from previous appointments the defect was full thickness. Also I should have added that post operative instructions were mobilise full weight bearing, Removal of sutures 2 weeks, and then PLAN : For second stage in 6 weeks. The second stage appointment has come through and it will be on the 3rd December. I'm now hoping that there is not a disappointment on the horizon, I don't think that the surgery time would have been booked without the OK for 2nd stage to take place. There was also discussions about bone grafting, which again would point to a full thickness defect. Do you think I need to call Mr Carrington to get a little clarification on all this or from what I have said everything seems to be going ahead as planned?................WORRIED NOW!!!!!!

Lee

Offline Rennschnecke

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #61 on: November 08, 2010, 08:05:23 PM »
Hi Lee

I can't comment on what is going on.  I can only give you my interpretation of the letter and the questions that would arise in my own mind.

I think it would be worthwhile talking to Mr Carrington or his staff to check on the procedure.  As you say, it's unlikely you'd be given a date for the second stage if it wasn't necessary, but your info re. mixing a paste is also somewhat different from what is normally described for the MACI procedure.  It's possible that you may be getting a newer procedure or there may be a typo in the letter but the only people who can clarify that would be at Stanmore.

I don't think that you have any reason to be worried, but it seems that you're quite keen on being informed and you've said you haven't found the info you've been seeking so this is an opportunity for you to pump for a bit more.

Ask for post-op protocols (if you haven't already got these) and check on what adjustments you need to make for your home environment.  If it is one of the newer procedures the recovery time may be shorter and less restrictive, but only your surgeon can say.

Stay cool!  8)
1/05 Ski accident: 5/05 ACLr LK; 10/06 Scope debridement, trochlear cartilage lesion (Gr4); 12/08 Scope chondroplasty, hematoma; 5 & 6/09 MACI patella & trochlea 'kissing lesions', ROM 0 to 80; 9/09 Scope LOA, IPCS & patella infera; 9/10 Scope AIR & LR.

Offline barnee21

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #62 on: November 21, 2010, 04:40:10 PM »
Hi All,

Only 12 days to go.... Contacted Mr Carringtons staff at Stanmore on Renns advice and as thought they put my mind at ease!!!, I am booked in for ACI on the 3rd december, for a grade 4 full thickness defect, and as far as mixing a paste goes as described by OS that harvested the cartilage, no-one can shed any light. Purchased a Cryo-cuff this week and seem to be on top of all the items I need post surgery. Just one thing that is playing on my mind is post op medication, wondering if it is worthwhile making an appointment to see my GP prior to surgery to arrange this, or will this be arranged by the hospital ?

Hope everyone is well!!!

Lee

Offline Rennschnecke

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #63 on: November 21, 2010, 07:10:23 PM »
Lee

I don't know what your GP is like, but mine wouldn't prescribe pain meds unless given a slip from the hospital.  However, you don't want a repeat of Emma's experience so be prepared to make a fuss and demand the meds you want at hospital.

At this point, you won't know what you will need post-op as people's pain experiences differ, but I've always found leaving to be hindered by the wait for meds.  I've been known to be kept waiting since discharge at 10 am and only left the hospital by 6 pm.  I've also had a story of how a parent went to hospital at 7.45 am for med for her 4 month old, and only left at 10.00 pm!!!

I guess it's just a count down to Day 0 now.
1/05 Ski accident: 5/05 ACLr LK; 10/06 Scope debridement, trochlear cartilage lesion (Gr4); 12/08 Scope chondroplasty, hematoma; 5 & 6/09 MACI patella & trochlea 'kissing lesions', ROM 0 to 80; 9/09 Scope LOA, IPCS & patella infera; 9/10 Scope AIR & LR.

Offline barnee21

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #64 on: November 22, 2010, 06:57:25 PM »
Hi all,

Thanks for taking the time to reply Renn.

I had a phone conversation with my GP today and as you have said she was a little reluctant to prescribe medication prior to surgery, especially as by her own admission she has no idea about the surgery I am to have. Interestingly, she raised the issue of dependance on various painkillers, which after two years on and off seems a little too little too late, I did explain that even though I am very aware of the possibility, there is very little I can do, the pain is what it is and the medication takes the edge away, i'm sure this is something I share with many as we all wait for treatment!!.  I will be sure to get things sorted before leaving the hospital and i'm sure that everything will be fine. Strange dreams this week, all based around the surgery and waking up to be told its worse than they thought, or they tried microfracture again, aaahhhhh!!!!, I suppose it is natural as the op draws closer. I am not worried about the procedure itself but failure is unimaginable at this stage!!!

I continue the countdown!!!

Offline Rennschnecke

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #65 on: November 22, 2010, 07:47:28 PM »
Yes, there seems to be mixed messages about long-term use of pain meds. However, for people with chronic pain it is a difficult issue to manage.

The main thing that will be an issue for you is tolerance to the drug so that it is no longer effective for you. For example, I believe tramadol is really only for acute pain and tolerance to it grows over time. If it fails to be as effective as it was once then your meds need to be reviewed to see whether you can switch to something else. If you become tolerant to that then you may be switched back to tramadol.

If the GP is uncomfortable with the level of pain meds you're taking ask whether you could be referred to a pain clinic to talk through your issues. The pain consultant will know more about the pain medication and can suggest different strategies for you to manage your pain even if you expect to get better after the MACI op.

If you're worried about getting your meds post-op then set up a repeat prescription service up with one of the pharmacies. Explain the situation and hopefully you can set up a system for pain meds by phone.

Take care!

support