Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Osteochondral defect lateral femoral condyle  (Read 1826 times)

Offline barnee21

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Osteochondral defect lateral femoral condyle
« on: August 04, 2010, 07:37:01 PM »
Hi everyone,

If possible I would like to get a little advice on the condition of my knee and what to expect in the near future.

First, a little background...My name is Lee and I have a 2.5cm x 2cm defect over the lateral femoral condyle. Back in september of last year I had extensive microfracture and removal of loose body, this was after a year of pestering and complaining to get things moving(another story). 6 months after the surgery I met with my OS who stated that it is unlikely that the microfracture will have any effect on the size of lesion and that ACI surgery and a bone graft will be required. As I am 33 years of age, physically fit (with the exception of this dodgy knee) I am apparently an ideal candidate for ACI. Referral has been sent to Mr Richard Carrington at the Royal orthapaedic hospital Stanmore.

There are a million questions and concerns running through my mind at the moment, some of which have been answered by the excellent posts on here from people who have already been there. Most of these I know I should ask the OS but given that this problem is now going into its third year it may be a while before we meet!!. Please bear with me and forgive my ignorance on the subject.

As I mentioned I am to have ACI and a bone graft, will these be carried out at the same time?, I have read that although recovery time ranges a fair bit the average time is 3 months, will the recovery time be lengthened by the addition of the graft?. Has anybody been under the care of Mr Carrington and what were your thoughts? The surgery if I ever get there will be performed in Stanmore, however I live in Southampton and hope that my physio can be carried out locally, has anyone had any experience of this. Sorry to go on loads more questions to ask and my frustration with the pain and waiting grows daily, I'm sure this wil be as hard mentally as it will be physicaly, I am ready for both, just want my pain free life back.

Thankyou in advance for your time and help.

Lee

Offline stevejill91

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
Re: Osteochondral defect lateral femoral condyle
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2010, 10:50:52 PM »
I had ACI 2.3 yrs ago and am getting ready for my other leg. All I can say is DO NOT RUSH your recovery. I am also fit and it is hard not to get back into activity. Once you do, be carfull cause I rushed after a 2 years and now have platar faciiatis. During the long recovery you muscles indurance and everything go and you have to start back slow to avoid injury. It sucks but is is still a small part of your life to deal with. Three weeks and I will have to stat all over again ( woo hoo). Good luck.