Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Bone grafts by Dr Frank Noyes  (Read 5503 times)

Offline MariaT

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Bone grafts by Dr Frank Noyes
« on: August 02, 2010, 07:06:36 PM »
Hello everyone, I would like to share my story. 3 years ago I had a horrible injury that left me with 2 bad knees. I was kicked by a horse >:( After bi-lateral knee recon( 2 ACL's,  MCL, another MCL repair and 2 posterolateral corner repairs) I was hoping to return to somewhat of a normal life. At the time I had chosen a local surgeon not knowing just how serious & complicated my injuries were. Had I know, I would have found Dr Noyes from the start. My knees never did reach a level where I felt I could do daily activities comfortable. I then searched for a really good surgeon and found Dr Frank Noyes. He is wonderful and so knowledgeable and I am so happy I found him!  :D After an examination, x rays, MRI & knee scope he discovered my previous ACL allograft failed and left me with huge tunnels in my femur & tibia from previous surgery. He removed all the old hardware and graft and placed bone grafts in the tunnels.m I will have to wait 6 months for these to heal and then he will go back in to do an ACL autograft. Unfortunately my other knee has the same issues and I will need the same done there PLUS the Posterolateral Corner repair has to be redone  :'(  Thank God I found Dr Noyes ;D because I probably would have led a life of pain if I didn't find him. My 1st of many staged surgeries went well and I really like the staff at his office and the hospital he works out of. It was a little nerve wracking doing all this out of state but next time I will feel more at ease. I found out that patients came as far as Australia  & Hawaii to see Dr Noyes! Wow!  :o Impressive, I'd say! I urge anyone to go see him if they need knee surgery or need previous surgery redone. You'll be in great hands:) I'm back home now recovering and rehabbing and before I know it I will be doing stage 2......
9/11/07 bi-lateral knee dislocations, recon MCL's , ACL's, postero-lateral corners. 7/07 most hardware removed.
2 1/2 yrs later still in pain & having instability.
7/10 bone grafts R knee-pending ACL revision
1/11 ACL revision w/BPB autograft

Offline missmyknee

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 20
  • From the Land of OZ
Re: Bone grafts by Dr Frank Noyes
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2010, 08:21:44 PM »
Hi Maria

My sentiments exactly !  I've been seeing Dr Noyes since 2004 and thru 6 surgeries. His exams are very thorough,staff,and PT dept is tops. I travel from Kansas to see him and that is for every appointment, follow-up, post-op etc. Even had an emergency appointment within 2 days for a snapped MCL. I've stayed many weeks for post-op care and PT.

Worth every penny and gal of gas ! in fact, In fact, I will be there Aug 10th  ;D

Here's another person who posted in the success stories from Dr Noyes

http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=24680.0

Good luck on all your knee surgeries. You've got the best for posterolateral recon ,MCL and ACL.

Pam
4Fx Clsd red
IMrod fib plate
derotate osteotmy tibfib
AF
IPCS patbaja
DeLeeOsteotmy,LOA,LR Zplasty,bongrf,chondrplty
chondrplty,LOA,fatpad remvd
TKR
openLOA,neurectmy,ITB Zplasty,fabela
PLC recon,revison,LOA,synovec
MCL,revison LOA
openLOA,prox Zplasty
openLOA, 6 neuromas excised,synov
3 Fusions

Offline MariaT

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2010, 08:38:57 PM »
Hi Pam, I am so glad for you that you also found Dr Noyes:)  I will check out the success story you posted. Thanks! Good luck with your next visit to him. More surgery? Don't you just love Tim in PT ;) He's great, although he hasn't responded  to an e mail I sent him. Can you kick him in the butt for me! LOL! I live outside of DC and Dr Noyes was able to give me the name of someone just 1 hour from me to go to for follow up visits etc until I go back to him for ACL surgery in 6 months. His name is Dr Alvin Detterline and he did his fellowship there with Dr Noyes. You may know him since you've been going since 2004, no? If so, let me know. I'm so glad to find someone in a similar out of state multiple surgery situation to talk to. You can probably give me some pointers! Where did you stay while out there? Crown Plaza? Hope to hear from you soon :)
Good luck and as you well know your in good hands.
Best,

Maria
9/11/07 bi-lateral knee dislocations, recon MCL's , ACL's, postero-lateral corners. 7/07 most hardware removed.

Offline missmyknee

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 20
  • From the Land of OZ
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2010, 10:41:54 PM »
Hi Maria

Yes, Tim is the best. I do know he was gone all last week because I originally scheduled my appt for last Tuesday. When he told me he was gone that week, I rescheduled so he would be there. He might be gone this week too. Sometimes he is really good about responding to emails and sometimes he is late due to being so busy, esp in the summer with everyone taking vacations.

I do know Dr Detterline. He took care of me a couple times. There were 3 other Fellows at the time..they were all good and pretty hilarious. There is probably a new "crop" that is coming in this month. I've been thru so many. Dr Deterline was very good and thorough. You always hope a Fellow will take home the knowledge and skills learned during their fellowship. You always hope you have a clone of Dr N. There is a former Fellow in my area who did his fellowship in early 90's. He is supposed to be good but once you see Noyes, you don't want anyone esle touvhing your knee. I am fortunate enough to be able to travel to see him. I do know the former fellow in my town has sent Dr Noyes some difficult cases and when I had the emergency, Dr Noyes was going to have me see him, if I could not get to CSMOC within a few days.

When I first had surgery with Dr Noyes, I stayed at the Residence Inn in Blue Ash.Then I found a website that did corporate apartment rentals for short term leasing. These were fully furnished apartments with all linens, kitchen ware, washer/dryer and gated community. Several were within a 10 min drive from his office. They do rentals for visits of 1 month or longer. It was much cheaper than a hotel for lengthy stays and provided more room and comfort, esp for caregiver who comes with you. I've stayed in the apartments the last 3 surgeries. I do know some who used the Crown Plaza and liked the shuttle service but they are not set up for such a long stay. At least the Residence Inn had a full kitchen with microwave and fridge and provided breakfast and evening appetizers and had a small store. When I just come up for checks, I stay at the Holiday Inn express in Blue Ash.

Here is the website for the apartment rentals

www.vestaexecutivehousing.com  I've always talked to Robin. You fill out a 2 page form, pay with credit card and then 1 week before arriving, they email the apartment address and #, then leave they key under door mat. These are very nice apartments and in safe areas of town. Another poster named Skibum 9 / Sharon started using them after I told her about them. I stayed at the same apartment complex each time, called the Nantucket. It was located north on Montgomery , a 10 min drive from the office, in the town of Loveland.

I hope this helps out

Pam
4Fx Clsd red
IMrod fib plate
derotate osteotmy tibfib
AF
IPCS patbaja
DeLeeOsteotmy,LOA,LR Zplasty,bongrf,chondrplty
chondrplty,LOA,fatpad remvd
TKR
openLOA,neurectmy,ITB Zplasty,fabela
PLC recon,revison,LOA,synovec
MCL,revison LOA
openLOA,prox Zplasty
openLOA, 6 neuromas excised,synov
3 Fusions

Offline MariaT

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2010, 01:53:25 AM »
Hi again Pam & thank you once again for all the info. I will look into the other options for sure. The Crown Plaza was OK, but I only had to stay four days this time around. I'm not sure I would want to stay there much longer. The shuttle was really nice to have though since I flew in and didn't rent a car.
Dr Detterline has promised to follow Dr Noyes' protocol for my follow up care but like you said, once you have Dr Noyes you really don't want anyone else messing with your knees! I have been told by Dr Detterline that Dr Noyes loves to do surgery so he doesn't see him retiring anytime soon. Thank God!
I guess I will let Tim off the hook for now since he was away but I'm going to shoot him another e mail this week. I'm getting a little concerned about my left knee because it's been doing all the work for the last 12 days and  I'm feeling it already :'( That knee is actually in worse shape according to Dr Noyes but wasn't as painful to me so we started on my right knee. I have a custom unloading brace for my left knee made for my previous surgery and I think I may start wearing it as well as the brace on my right knee from recent surgery. Uggggg.
Well anyhow, good night for now.
Maria

Offline chompstar

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2010, 01:08:39 AM »
Hi Maria,
I am travelling from Australia to have surgery with Dr Noyes and was wondering about your experience.  Did you have to arrive several days prior to surgery? and is the physio after, all day or only a few hours in the morning/ afternoon and where did you stay? any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Offline MariaT

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2010, 03:19:27 AM »
Hello! I'd love to share my experience and hope to be helpful :D  I only had to arrive the day prior to my surgery. I did all my pre-op tests etc back at home so the day I arrived I only had an appointment with Dr Noyes to go over what was to be done and then I spent about an hour or so with Tim down in the physical therapy department going over some additional stuff. Donna had everything very organized and also went over some things with me. I received an RX for pain that day & I also received my TED hose. Donna arranged for a special knee icer to be delivered to the hospital.You might want to ask if they suggest you bringing one with you since it would be nice for you to use on your lengthy flight home. I stayed at the "Crown Plaza" hotel in the Blue Ash section of Cincinnati as suggested by Donna. It's only 15 mins or so from both the hospital & Dr Noyes' office.They are very familiar with having guests that are having surgery done by Dr Noyes and they have a shuttle service that will take you back & forth to both Dr Noyes office and the hospital. It's not a fancy hotel but it serves its purpose. They were very friendly and accommodating to all my needs. When I booked the hotel I told them I was having surgery and I requested a handicapped room. They have 1 wheelchair available for guests to use. Look on Dr Noyes' website under accodations and there is a direct link to the hotel. Make sure you mention that you are having surgery so you get a special rate ;D I paid $80 US dollars per night which is very very reasonable.The hotel has a restaurant and there are also a few other restaurants that are within walking distance(literally across the parking lot)to the hotel. I stayed only for 4 days but I think next time I will ask for a larger room with more of a sitting area so it would be more comfortable. Don't forget to ask for a refrigerator because it isn't standard in every room. They were happy to bring one up to my room though when I asked for one and within a half hour I had one! The other thing that was nice is their shuttle service brought me to get my RX filled at a local pharmacy. They will drive you anywhere you want to go within 5 miles from the hotel. I really didn't miss not having rented a car. I would suggest flying into CVG (Cincin/Kentucky)airport. It's about 30 mins from the hotel. You will need to hire a separate shuttle service because the hotel will not pick you up from the airport. I used "Kemper" shuttle which was reliable and priced the same as everyone else. It seemed a little sketchy at first and I had a hard time understanding them due to their accent but they were reliable. The other suggestion I will make is most definitely talk to your airline and tell them what your condition will be on the return trip. You will get seats that will be much more comfortable and will accommodate sitting with a knee brace on. I was taken by wheelchair from where I was dropped off at the airport directly to the terminal then boarded by wheelchair. I made one mistake and that was not checking the size of the plane I traveled on. Since my flight was only 1 1/2 hours I booked a plane that was basically a commuter flight(I didn't know that at the time) and the best seat (the bulkhead seat) was barely roomy enough for me to extend and elevate my leg. Next time I will make sure there is plenty of legroom. What else.....I bet you didn't expect such a lengthy response! The hospital Dr Noyes uses(The Jewish Hospital) is wonderful! Very clean and seemed new with friendly, knowledgeable staff. No problems there at all. I think I covered everything but if you think of anything else don't hesitate to ask :) One last thing....I had an appointment the day after surgery to see Dr Noyes and to do physical therapy. I spent a few hours there that day and also went the following day for more PT. Like I said I only stayed 4 days total this time around. Next time when I do the ACL reconstruction I would imagine I will stay longer. What procedures are you having done? How did you find Dr Noyes? Probably the same way as me......lots and lots of research! He is THE BEST! You can't go wrong and are in great hands. I'm sure you already know that. Good luck and please keep me updated on when your going to De Noyes and how everything turned out.
Best,
Maria