Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Locking knee  (Read 1930 times)

Offline ooooouch

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
Locking knee
« on: October 02, 2002, 06:29:10 PM »
Hi
I origionally posted on the 29th of august 2002 about my painful locking knee.
Today I got a phonecall saying that the surgeon could fit me in this-afternoon so I went.
He asked questions like where does it hurt and i told him that when my knee locks i have a terrible pain and tightness at the back of my knee and it sometimes unlocks straightaway but can stay locked for longer periods of time, the longest being an hour.
He fiddled with my knee ALOT especially my knee cap and kept asking if it felt like this or that before it  locked, i told him that nothing he was doing was inducing the feeling I get before it locks.
He said woman of " MY AGE" ( i am 29) can get problems with there knee caps and said that i feel very sure of my symptoms at the back of my knee !!!!!!!! OF COURSE I AM it happens regular enough for me to know what it feels like!!!!!!!!
He mumbled something about the mensical muscle and said I had 3 options either an MRI, keyhole surgery to look or wait and see. I reminded him that I was going for an MRI in 2 weeks for something else totally unrelated ( i have a lump on my collarbone which no-one knows what it is) so he said that he would see if they can do my knee while I am there. to cut this looooong story short they cant do the MRI scan on my knee at the same time so I am in the sit and wait stage.
He said that he will review my knee when I go for my other MRI scan results.
Luckily I havent had anymore long episodes of my knee locking just the normal quick lock and unlock.
Anyway I just thought that i would let you all know how i got on
Good luck to you all

Iona_-Uk

Re: Locking knee
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2002, 09:13:10 PM »
Hiya

Sorry to hear things weren't great at the OS's.

Hope thing start going OK for you and that your MRI isn't too much longer.

Good Luck
Iona

Offline Danielle

• Regular Poster
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2002, 05:21:48 AM »
I'm sorry to hear that this hasn't resolved itself yet. I don't know if you remember but I posted to you before that I was having the same problem. My PT was no help..."As soon as the muscle strengthens it will be fine" you know the same worthless answers that you get from everyone who has healthy knees. So I ignored him and started doing lots of stretching to stretch out my muscles. I noticed that most times that I locked up my hamstring sort of cramped up too. Anyway, to get to the point, it worked and my knee hasn't locked in almost a week (as opposed to 2-3x daily before). Try it, it might work. I mostly do hamstring stretches...sit on floor and grab and hold your toes. Good Luck!!

~*~Danielle~*~
I had a modified Trillat TTT and LR done on 6/26/02
Original injury in October of 1998 due to a horseback riding accident

Offline enuff81020

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • User's Text
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2002, 03:43:47 AM »
Hi!  My OS was able to see the source of my knee locking up on an x-ray.  there were loose bodies--some pretty big,  jamming up the joint.  you didn't  mention any x-rays and that was a quick and easy possibility.

I hope that by now they have done the MRI and found out what is going on.   that locking up stuff is miserable--I know that I  couldn't bend, extend or bear weight.   i ended up trapped on the second floor of my workplace for an entire day because I cxouldn't get down stairs.  

Sylvia
Both kneesOA.
Scope on rt knee,9/00;2/01
scope w/ LR and debridement rt knee 2/02
left knee same5/02
Patellar problems
LeftTKR12/16/02
Right TKR7/14/03
Complications MUA 8/14/03
R TKR revisio

medsport

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2002, 10:39:15 PM »
Knee locking up?  Certainly suggests a meniscal tear.
You have what drs. call an internal derangement.
Imagine a pencil being placed in a door hinge.  
The door, of course, will not close.  No amount
of PT or ice or meds will change the situation.
So, a good clinical exam and an MRI seem like
reasonable things to do.  
I wish you well.

support