Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Wata's ACL Reconstruction, 07-26-10 (Patellar Autograft,Left knee)  (Read 28827 times)

Offline Snowy

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 93
Re: Wata's ACL reconstruction
« Reply #30 on: August 11, 2010, 06:30:48 AM »
Oh, awesome! That's really good news. Your quad shouldn't go to sleep again now that it's woken back up - it will just be a case of working on it gently to remind it of all the things it used to do. :)
Mar 11: R Biceps femoris tear (skiing)
Jul 10: ACLr (hamstring autograft)
Mar 10: L ACL rupture (skiing)
Feb 06: L partial ACL tear (kickboxing)
Dec 03: R bone edema (motorbike)
Jan 01: R patellar chip (motorbike)
May 93: R ACL sprain (hockey)
Ongoing: bilateral PFS and OA

Offline wata

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #31 on: August 12, 2010, 04:04:27 AM »
Thanks a lot, Snowy. I was very glad, things are improving little by little everyday.

Day 16

I had a decent night sleep last night.

It was still much easier to walk backward with crutches so I did that in the morning.

In the afternoon, I went to the hospital to see a dr's assistant. He was satisfied about appearance of knee (very little swelling, clean incision) but he worried about my weak quad. So he had me see an anestheologist. This Dr couldn't tell if anything was wrong with nerves. I have to wait until I get more flex on my knee.

While I was waiting for my roommate to pick me up, I walked around using the quad muscle. How I move my leg was very different from I used to do pre-op.

I also went to my lab after 2 weeks just to tell what has been going on. People were much nicer to me with crutches. Many people talked to me and wished good luck for my recovery. Strange but good experience..
Summer-06 (ACL damaged right knee), Sept-09 injured (undiagnosed, left knee),
Jun-10 re-injured left knee (ACL tear, bone tip fracture) 
7/26/10 ACLr Patellar Autograft - Left Knee

Offline ouch09

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #32 on: August 13, 2010, 12:52:09 AM »
Sounds like things are finally getting better.

Your quad's firing & you're sleeping better too.

I think everything is going to get easier from here  ;)

cheers,

Deepak
ACL rupture playing football May 2009
ACL hamstring autograft reconstruction 24-6-10

Offline wata

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #33 on: August 13, 2010, 04:20:54 AM »
Thanks for your kind message Deepak! I am very glad that finally things are moving. Now that I can walk, I have to be careful not to get injured again.

Day 17

I had a decent night sleep again, but felt very tired when I woke up.

Today, I went to school on foot with crutches to have a conversation with my supervisor. Only 2 blocks from home but took me about 40 minutes to get there. I stayed there to do some readings, but couldn't get comfortable sitting on a chair and went home.

My knee got tired and took it easy rest of the day.

Tomorrow, I have my first physical therapy. I may take my car back from my friend's place, if I am doing ok.

Offline tez27

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #34 on: August 13, 2010, 08:55:22 AM »
Hey Wata sounds like at last things are improving, at least getting a sleep should help you feel better, I hope all goes well with your P.T appointment, I'm sure that will get things moving a little better for you,
just take it easy when your out and about cos I am nearly 4 weeks post op and still feel the leg gets very tired after walking for any legnth of time. I would think as long as its comfotable to drive it would be a good idea to get the car back it will give you a bit more freedom.
I will look forward to hearing how your physio goes!
take care Tez
L K injured 25th June 2008
scope Jan 5th 10
diagnosis ACL rupture
fiberous band excised from acl
ACLr July 19th 2010  scope on 24th Sept 2011
ACL has failed incorrect tunnel placement
23rd July 2012 1st stage of a 2 stage ACL revision
10th May 2013 2nd stage ACL revision

Offline LARSknee

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #35 on: August 13, 2010, 03:10:40 PM »
Hi Wata
Glad things are getting better for you and continue to improve.

I noticed you walked for 40mins today,being on your feet for that length of time would not be good for the swelling,Im only 9 days post op and my physio says to just walk 10 mins daily and I had LARS ACL repair which is a quicker recovery.

I agree with Tez if you can get your car back your leg will be very grateful. :>)

Good luck with your first physical therapy session im sure it will go well.

Cheers
Shelli :>)

Offline Snowy

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #36 on: August 14, 2010, 04:25:34 AM »
If you feel able to drive, that would definitely be something your knee would appreciate at the moment. Glad to hear you're getting out and about but do take it easy on that knee - you probably have some muscle atrophy from the two weeks when your quads weren't firing, which is going to make getting around very slow for a while.

Hope your PT session goes well, and you get some good tips on helping your mobility.

Offline wata

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #37 on: August 14, 2010, 05:34:44 AM »

Hi, thanks for your message. It takes 30 mins to walk only 2 or 3 blocks, so it's obviously my knee needs some time to get strength to walk. I finally retrieved my car and I think this will help a lot as your advice. I will take it easy on my knee.

Day 18

Went to my first PT session. Today was just to check things out.

The knee extension was about 0 degree, and flex was about 20 (or 160) degree. My knee is pretty stiff, and was told to work harder on the flex.. The PT told me that I had a bit swelling and quad and hamstring muscles were weaker because of atrophy, and gave some exercise to do.

I worked a lot on knee flex today, so my knee could fit in the car. So, I finally got my car back from my friend's place. My knee was stiff again by the time I got on my car but barely fit in the driver's seat and managed to drive home.

My knee is again pretty tired today.

Offline wata

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #38 on: August 15, 2010, 04:01:02 AM »
Day 19

woke up at 11 am, feeling very tired from yesterday. Not only my knee, my shoulder and arms were sore from using crutches to long.

worked on my knee flexion and probably about got down to 35 degree. feel more comfortable sitting on a chair now, although my leg starts to bother after 30 minutes or so. I hope I can stay at my desk or bench longer hours, so I can really go back to my work at school.

I made two trips by car. First to a shopping mall, and second to a Chinese restaurant close to my home. I realized how much I had been relying on using my car during my daily life.

Fortunately, pain is almost gone except when exercising or sleeping, which I could not imagine during my first week post-op.

Offline tez27

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #39 on: August 15, 2010, 10:10:42 AM »
glad things are improving for you, I also had a problem with my shoulders from using crutches I didnt realise how much upper body stregnth you actually need to get around with them, so pretty happy I dont usually need them now.Great news you are back driving, that should make a big difference to getting out and about. Be carefull when you go back to school just watch you dont do too much too soon and try and elevate the leg whenever you can.
Take care Tez   
scope Jan 5th 10
diagnosis ACL rupture

Offline Snowy

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #40 on: August 15, 2010, 05:52:22 PM »
Really glad to hear that the pain levels are so much better. Try to keep the leg elevated when you're sitting on a chair - it helps with the swelling, which will help with the flex. (If you need to be at your desk, try putting some boxes underneath so you have something to prop your leg on.)

The car definitely makes things easier - I'm sure you're happy to be driving again. :)

Offline wata

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #41 on: August 16, 2010, 05:00:34 AM »
Hi Tez and Snowy, thanks for your comments. I found out that I will still need to limit most of my activity to be safe for my knee and other part of my body, like my shoulder. My car is helping a lot in this sense. I will make sure I keep my leg elevated, which I have not been doing.

Day 20

I had a pain on my shoulder and woke up couple of times at night, but slept fair amount.

My knee was flexible (about 20 degree) this morning. I usually had to start out with 0 degree, so the knee is gaining flex, to my relief. I made two short trips to have meal with my cousin. I did not feel pain while I was driving.

I am going back to school officially tomorrow, but I will leave by noon to be safe.

Offline Snowy

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #42 on: August 16, 2010, 05:26:15 AM »
Ice and elevation is really important for as long as your knee is still swollen, and not bending all that well. Do your best to keep it elevated whenever you can, with ice if possible - it will help a lot as you work to regain flexion. If there's any way you can grab an extra chair and keep it up while you're in school, that would be even better (hopefully people will be sympathetic when they see your crutches!)

Great news on the driving. Hopefully things will continue to improve, little by little. :)

Offline wata

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #43 on: August 17, 2010, 05:07:40 AM »
Hi Snowy. Thanks, I will use extra chair to keep my leg up in school. I hope the swelling goes down soon. 

Day 21, 3 weeks from the surgery

Woke up early to see my cousin off at the airport. Went to my school briefly to see a professor, and he told me that I have to turn in the big assignment by Friday.

I was pretty tired after walking around at the airport and at school, and basically stayed home the rest of the day.

On my way back home from school, one guy talked to me and said he was very glad to see I was walking well with crutches. He said he had seen me walking  backward with some pain not too long ago..

Offline tez27

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #44 on: August 17, 2010, 10:45:47 AM »
Wata 3 weeks already that puts you a week behind me, glad things seem to be improving for you what about p.t how is that going have they said anything about trying to get you off crutches? cos mine had said at 2 weeks to try and wean myself off them which I did for most of the time the only time I used one recently was over the past weekend because of a pretty bad flair of pain due to doing too much too soon.
I hope things continue to improve for you take care
Tez
scope Jan 5th 10
diagnosis ACL rupture