Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Wata's ACL Reconstruction, 07-26-10 (Patellar Autograft,Left knee)  (Read 28826 times)

Offline ouch09

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 0
Re: Wata's ACL reconstruction
« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2010, 12:16:38 AM »
Wata,

What is the rehab protocol advised by your surgeon ? I wonder if returning to class just 1 week post-op is too soon ?

Be careful that you don't strain your knee, like I did (see my post-op diary) by returning to normal activity too soon !

Good luck !

Deepak
ACL rupture playing football May 2009
ACL hamstring autograft reconstruction 24-6-10

Offline wata

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2010, 03:33:50 AM »
Day 8

Thanks a lot for your message, Deepak. I would not returned to class if that wasn't the last day of the course, but was a lot of trouble.. The excercise I was told to do is; tighten quadriceps muscle and lift the leg straight up. Since my quad is shut down, I still cannot lift the op leg by myself... I'll check your posts.

So, I had a lousy sleep last night. When I went to bed I did not feel any pain, but was not just sleepy. Later, pain got intense and had to take painkiller. Total of 2 hours sleep.

During the day a friend of mine came over couple of times to lift or move down my les to go bathroom. I feel better after getting up and do something, possibly better blood circulation. I had a bad headache throuout the day. I asked if that was because of withdrawal of oxycodon, but the person in dr's office said it was not. So, instead of oxycodon I took a pill for headache, which helped a lot.

My first post-op visit is tomorrow. I'll wait to see what the dr says. 
Summer-06 (ACL damaged right knee), Sept-09 injured (undiagnosed, left knee),
Jun-10 re-injured left knee (ACL tear, bone tip fracture) 
7/26/10 ACLr Patellar Autograft - Left Knee

Offline tez27

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2010, 11:44:48 AM »
Wata Good luck with the post op appointment tomorrow remember to tell him exactly how much pain you still have and maybe he will be able to get something to help, and to help you get enough sleep, Deepak is right about going back to class so soon after surgery but I can understand it was important to do and I'm sure the fact it was only one day it wont have done any damage to your new graft.
The headache could be the after effects of the anasthetic, or just lack of sleep I hope it improves whatever caused it.
I dont know what you have been told re getting up and walking around, but I felt once I was a bit more mobile the pain became much easier, I think its something to do with the getting the cirulation going that feels better the more you move aroung.
Let us know how your appointment goes tomorrow and take care
Tez   
L K injured 25th June 2008
scope Jan 5th 10
diagnosis ACL rupture
fiberous band excised from acl
ACLr July 19th 2010  scope on 24th Sept 2011
ACL has failed incorrect tunnel placement
23rd July 2012 1st stage of a 2 stage ACL revision
10th May 2013 2nd stage ACL revision

Offline wata

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2010, 05:08:30 AM »
Day 9. First post-op appointment

Thanks for the kind message, Tez.

I had another lousy sleep. The pain wasn't too bad (0-3 out of 10), but felt umcomfortable. At 5 am, I took oxycodone and slept about 3 hours.

So, I went to visit the hospital for the first time after the surgery. The assistant changed the dressing, and he said the knee was looking good. He said the incision was clean and no infection. I told him that my quad was completely not working. Then, the doctor came in and said a bit worried since in my case it was working right after the surgery, and anesthesia might have done something to it.

Things seem to be going well, except the quad and the pain intermittently appears. I really hope the quad to come back at the level I can get out of bed/couch
 by my own..

I got new painkiller called hydrocodon which I was told less strong. I will probably take this before sleep.

Offline wata

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2010, 03:27:10 AM »
Day 10.   August 5th

This was the date I wated to be better enough to start driving. My friend came over to my city but I had ask him to use public transportation which is not convenient. I stayed all day on my couch, and thanks to this friend, I first felt time has passed by fairly quickly.

I had a better night sleep total of 4hrs. A couple of times, I wake up from the umcofortable feeling in my leg.

I made an appointment for my first phisical therapy on 13th of this month. 1 week from now sounds a bit too long to me. I wonder what I can do in between with my complete shut off of the quad. I will discuss this with my doctor. Is there any sugestions.

Offline Snowy

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 93
« Reply #20 on: August 06, 2010, 05:36:04 AM »
Is it your left or right leg that was operated on? If it's your left and your car's an automatic, hopefully it won't be too long before you can drive. It takes a bit longer if it was your right leg or you drive a standard.

I'm glad the pain is improving, but sorry to hear you're still not sleeping well.

For the quad, apart from quad flexes (contracting the muscle...keep trying this even if it doesn't work too well) you can also do quad sets. Put a rolled up towel under the knee and try and push down into it. Heel hangs are good for helping you gain extension; for these put the rolled up towel under your heel and sit with your leg straight. With your knee unsupported, gravity will help pull the knee into extension. Ankle pumps are also important to help keep blood moving through the leg.

Good luck talking to your doctor; I hope s/he has some more suggestions for you, and that your quad starts to fire again soon.
Mar 11: R Biceps femoris tear (skiing)
Jul 10: ACLr (hamstring autograft)
Mar 10: L ACL rupture (skiing)
Feb 06: L partial ACL tear (kickboxing)
Dec 03: R bone edema (motorbike)
Jan 01: R patellar chip (motorbike)
May 93: R ACL sprain (hockey)
Ongoing: bilateral PFS and OA

Offline zaiemk

• Regular Poster
« Reply #21 on: August 06, 2010, 04:24:47 PM »
Hi

I think that Snowy's advice is good - I started the 'forced' extension by using a belt to pull up my foot, whilst holding down my thigh just above the knee, these small exercises at extension help to activate the quads.  Also try the straight leg raises with both legs, by using your good leg to 'teach' the inactive leg how to work again.  The heel hangs are also good for this - as you get extension try and tense your quads.  If its doesnt work dont give up, keep at it and it will come.  Post op for the first 4 days I was doing these exercises every 2 hours and it did help.

Once you reactivate your quads you will hopefully notice less discomfort in your leg and will be able to be more active, which should improve your sleeping patterns.

If you are still having probs, try and contact your PT sooner and see if you can speak to someone or get an earlier appt.

Good luck]
Zaiem

Offline wata

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #22 on: August 07, 2010, 04:12:16 AM »
Day 11

Thanks for the helpful advices Snowy and zaiemk. I've started working on those excercise, I have more positive feeling that my quad will be activated any time. My left knee is the injured one and I drive automatic.

I had a better night sleep today overall, although I had to wake up so many times.

I stayed on the couch whole day today. Sometimes, pain was intense but it calm down after a while. Since my cousin was visiting my apartment, his hand was always available to help getting out of the couch, which may have helped my blood circulation going.   

Offline wata

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #23 on: August 08, 2010, 02:08:07 AM »
Day 12th

I had a fine night sleep today. First off, I put 2 pillows under my left heel, and my knee got sore. When I took out a pillow, pain was reduced a lot. I woke up 4-5 times with some pain but I had about total of 5 hours sleep.

Today, I found the way to get out of couch on my own without pain. Just like doing the excercise I used the belt to hook it to the back of my foot. So, for the first time, I went to bathroom by myself without any help.

Other than that, I did some excercise on my quad, which is still not working.

Offline wata

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #24 on: August 09, 2010, 04:36:54 AM »
Day 13.  August 8th

Today was pretty much the same as yesterday. Got ok night sleep, did ankle pumps, quad flex, etc. I still cannot do the quad sets yet, I feel quad will be waking up any time..

Since I don't take painkiller except right before going to bed I started to take supplements. I'll let you know if these make any difference. Those are glucosamine and  flaxseed oil. I just needed some change from past few days.

I can't wait to go back to school and  to my lab (I'm a science major), but seems like it is wise to stay home at least until my quad functions. 

Offline Snowy

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #25 on: August 09, 2010, 05:50:35 AM »
Hey Wata! Glad to hear that you're feeling like the quad will be waking up soon. Probably a good idea to keep taking it easy until it starts firing again; your mobility will be much better when that happens.

I take glucosamine supplements, which I've found helpful with other knee problems in the past. It's hard to say if they're making any difference right now because my knee still feels so abnormal overall, but I figure they certainly won't be hurting anything so it's good to keep taking them.

Offline ouch09

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #26 on: August 09, 2010, 02:30:27 PM »
Wata,

I also take Glucosamine & Chondroitin to help regenerate the ACL, and Linseed (Flax) in seed form - I add it to my cereal. The Linseed is a good source of Omega 3, which I'm sure you know being a science major, is good for the joints.

cheers,

Deepak
ACL rupture playing football May 2009
ACL hamstring autograft reconstruction 24-6-10

Offline wata

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #27 on: August 10, 2010, 05:37:22 AM »
Day 14.   

It's been 2 weeks from the surgery! I felt the 1st week to me was like forever because of pain,  2nd week has passed rather quick.

At this moment: the pain in my left knee is minimal at rest, although I feel uncomfortable when I sleep. Instead, I've been having headache and dizziness most time of the day. My leg extension seems good, but I can bend very little, probably about 10 degree. As written, quad shut-off has been my main concern, because it delays time to go back to school.

Today, I did not get headache at all  for the first time in a week or so. So, I was able to do some reading and writing for my school well. The rest was pretty much the same as last few days.

Snowy and Deepak, glad to know that you guys are taking the supplement. 

Offline Snowy

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #28 on: August 10, 2010, 05:03:02 PM »
Congrats on making it to two weeks! Once the quad starts firing again you should find that your overall control of the leg improves dramatically. It may be worth doing some very gentle flex exercises to see if you can bend it a bit more while you wait for the quad to start firing. For example, just sitting upright in a chair and letting gravity pull the leg down into a bend, or using a belt or towel to gently encourage the leg to bend in a heel slide.

Keep working on that quad - it's tough to get them firing once they shut down (it happened to me after my original injury) but once it happens, things will improve a lot.

Offline wata

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #29 on: August 11, 2010, 06:15:20 AM »
Day 15

To begin with, I want to tell you that my quad finally started to work (I was able to elevate my left leg)!

I was working on quad flex quite a bit today, and did not felt pain as much as before. So I tried to see if my leg can move up and it did slightly!

It's still too weak to do much, but I was glad. I hope this quad function won't go away tomorrow morning.. 

Other than that I worked on knee flex, while sitting on my couch.

Thanks Snowy for the advice. Last week I felt there was no progress on my knee, but now things progress faster. I have second post-op visit tomorrow, and first physical therapy on Friday. 

support