Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Wata's ACL Reconstruction, 07-26-10 (Patellar Autograft,Left knee)  (Read 28825 times)

Offline wata

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Hey guys,

I am fortunate to find this website. Reading post from other people it has been a big help for my recovery and emotion. I have just done ACL reconstruct on July 26th. I would like to share with people here how the recovery goes.

I injured my knew initially in Sept. in 2009. It was from playing soccer, got a nasty tackle and I saw my left thigh pushing the knee cap forward giving 'pop' sound.   
« Last Edit: September 27, 2010, 07:52:55 AM by wata »
Summer-06 (ACL damaged right knee), Sept-09 injured (undiagnosed, left knee),
Jun-10 re-injured left knee (ACL tear, bone tip fracture) 
7/26/10 ACLr Patellar Autograft - Left Knee

Offline wata

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
Re: Wata's ACL reconstruction
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2010, 01:29:56 AM »
I will briefly describe how I finally found ACL tear on my left knee.

After the injury in Sept. I went to an emergency room at a local hospital expecting to find something. They only took x-ray which was fine, and released me saying come back if this didn't get better.

I was kinda sure I meased up my ligament, but I did not go to see a doctor for the further analysis since it was getting better, which was my mistake. Anyway, I stayed away from playing soccer until early June. In june i played soccer just to see my knee is ok. But apparently was not. My knee collapsed and caused one of the sharpest pain I had ever had.

This was when I took MRI and found ACL tear and small fracture on my knee. It took more than one month to get surgery..

Offline wata

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2010, 02:06:18 AM »
Day 0. July 26th

I arrived at the hospital at 10 am, and the surgery seemed to start around noon as scheduled. I did not remember since I saw the anestheologist prepaeing for something, and next moment I had a huge brace on my knee. I thought I was still waiting for the surgery. My own Pattelar tendon was used to reconstruct the ACL of the left knee. I was told the surgery went well by a nurse.

After being explained what I should do at home. My girlfriend picked me up around 4 pm. I didn't have any problem getting in and off the car. My left knee was completely numb. I took a painkiller right after the surgery as some people recommended.

Day 1.  July 27th

I slept only a few hours although pain wasn't too bad. In the morning, I had a quite bit of pain, and could not even go to bathroom. I was laying on my couch and took 2 pills every 4hours. The pain was much more than I expected, 8/10 pain when I stand up, and hoped that will reduce next day.

Day 2 July 28th.

Again I couldn't sleep because of sharp pain every once in a while. I took pills every time I woke up during the night.

It was again agonizing when I moved moved using crutches from my bed to the couch, my left leg does not function at all to me. Since the pain was so intense when using crutch I called the hospital to get advices, and they told me that was normal. I have been feeling left behind from those who started bending knee with small pains. I cannot do any excersise yet, which makes me very stressed...

Good thing was the pain reduced a bit when I laying down on the couch. Probably 1-6/10. Hope I can sleep better tonight. Let me know if anyone has a suggestion to reduce pain a bit at this point!

Offline Snowy

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 93
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2010, 07:24:59 AM »
Hey Wata - welcome! Sorry to hear about your ACL tear and surgery, but glad you're on the road to recovery. I had my ACL reconstructed just over two weeks ago, using a hamstring autograft from the same leg.

I was in severe pain for about 48 hours post-surgery before things started to improve. The only thing I can advise for this immediate post-surgery period is to grit your teeth and be sure to take all your pain meds on schedule. It's still not pleasant, but there will come a point where things start to improve. It's a slow improvement, but every little bit makes things better than that initial pain. If you're not doing this already, make sure that you're keeping the leg elevated higher than your hip and ice, ice, ice - the ice does a lot to help reduce swelling and pain.

The other thing I'd stress is not to worry about what other people are doing, but listen to what your body needs and wants at this point. Every recovery is different and you'll find folk here who range from walks without crutches on day one right through to crutches for six weeks. I couldn't do exercises for the first two or three days, but my surgeon and physiotherapist both told me that was fine - in the early stages, the most important thing is to focus on managing pain and getting over the immediate trauma of surgery. Start the exercises as and when you feel able.

Take care, and good luck!
Mar 11: R Biceps femoris tear (skiing)
Jul 10: ACLr (hamstring autograft)
Mar 10: L ACL rupture (skiing)
Feb 06: L partial ACL tear (kickboxing)
Dec 03: R bone edema (motorbike)
Jan 01: R patellar chip (motorbike)
May 93: R ACL sprain (hockey)
Ongoing: bilateral PFS and OA

Offline zaiemk

• Regular Poster
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2010, 01:30:07 PM »
Hey Wata

Yep as Snowy said keep popping the painkillers on time and full dosage, it should take the edge off.

Also as Snowy said go at the pace your body dictates, dont push too hard.  Everyones rehab and recovery is different.

Good luck and take care
Zaierm

Offline wata

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2010, 09:48:02 PM »
Day 3

First of all, thanks for the very kind word. That encouraged me a lot. I will make sure to take painkillers on time.

Last night was awful. I moved from the couch in the living room to my bed. It took 10 minutes to get there. I used my toes to move operated leg, was slow and painful. After that I laid on the bed, but the pain did not go away.

Lacking ice, it was almost impossible to sooth the pain, and asked my roommate to buy ice for me in midnight. After getting more ice, things got calm down a bit but I slept only 30 min.

In the morning,  pain was manageable.  That made me feel good, although the pain got a bit worse when I tried an excercise. I had to ask professor to extend due date for my big writing assignment since I cannot do any writing with computor at this point. I'm using ipod touch to post this one.

So, basically I am still dealing with this pain until it settles down.

Offline tez27

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2010, 10:34:43 PM »
Hi there and welcome to the aclr club, sorry you are having so much pain, everyone is different with the amount of pain they seem to have I was very lucky as my reconstruction was 10 days ago but spent the first night in hospital where I had a lovely cathater right into my knee where they injected a local anasthetic, so for the first day and night I was pretty comfortable but did feel the pain once they took it out before I came home, I felt the pain improved over the next few days and the ice deffo helps so its important to ice elevate and keep taking the pain meds, and hopfully things will improve soon.
Most of us acl'ers on here at the moment have the hamstring graft so it will be interesting to hear how your rehab goes so please when your feeling more comfortable post some info as I will be interested in all the details.
Take care Tez
L K injured 25th June 2008
scope Jan 5th 10
diagnosis ACL rupture
fiberous band excised from acl
ACLr July 19th 2010  scope on 24th Sept 2011
ACL has failed incorrect tunnel placement
23rd July 2012 1st stage of a 2 stage ACL revision
10th May 2013 2nd stage ACL revision

Offline Snowy

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2010, 12:23:17 AM »
Sorry to hear you had another bad night, wata. If you can, I'd recommend buying a couple of gel packs with cloth and velcro covers (I'm not sure where you are, but any drugstore or pharmacy should sell them - I bought mine from London Drugs here) that you can keep in the freezer and then strap to your leg. They're more effective than ice in a bag, and the great thing is you can keep them on when you're moving around.

I was also in far more pain than I expected post-surgery. It's really tough for those first few days; I basically didn't leave the couch unless I really had to, and certainly wouldn't have wanted to be sitting up at the computer. I would wait until the pain is at a manageable level before pushing the exercises. My PT and surgeon stressed pain control first and foremost, and then exercises and weight-bearing as tolerated. It doesn't sound like your leg is quite ready to tolerate them yet!

Fingers crossed that the improved pain levels this morning are a sign that you're turning the corner.

Offline wata

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2010, 04:35:36 AM »
Day 4

Last night was better. I first time got sleep for about 3 to 4 hrs in a row. I found taking painkiller (oxycodon) on vacant stomach right after getting in a bed helped. It is not good for stomach, but I found medicine took effect fairly quick.

I woke up with less leg pain, but with bad headach and nausea. I guess I was very tired and finally relaxed a bit after past tough days. I should think this is a good sign. I had a class I was supposed to give a presentation, and I obviously skipped.

So, I stayed on the couch all day as past couple of days. Watched DVD and checked Internet with my iPod. The pain is getting more manageable as long as I take the painkiller. hope I can start some excercise tomorrow.

Thanks again for your comments. I will have someone to buy the ice wrap thing. I'll make sure to write how my rehab goes in detail.   

Offline Snowy

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2010, 04:59:07 AM »
Ooh, yes - I remember taking oxycodone on an empty stomach. I think I passed out in less than 15 minutes!

That's great that the pain is getting better. Once it starts to improve, it gets a little bit better each day. I would say from my own experience that it may be a while longer before you're ready to go back to class, though - when you do start getting up and about you'll find that it takes a lot out of you, and you'll get tired very quickly.

Good luck - I hope things continue to improve.

Offline wata

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2010, 06:02:10 AM »
Day 5 July 31st

Last night, I slept better, total of 4 hours. When I laid on the bed, it gave me quite bit of pain as usual. Laying a towel near buttock helped a lotto reduce pain.  Oxycodone really helped sleeping when I had two tablets in my empty stomach. I also have to note that this gave me some hullucination, which I thought not a good sign.

I started going to own bathroom for the first time with crutches. Because my quasrices is still not functioning, I have to move backwards. And still need help when I get in or out of my couch to raise or lower my operated leg.  This makes me worry.

Other than that I had ups and downs in terms of pain, but very glad to see some progress each day as you guys told me. Thanks..

Offline wata

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2010, 03:36:05 AM »
Day 6.     Aug 1st

Withdrawal effect.

Last night, when I went to bed from the couch in living room, the pain was manageable. I usually suffer from one hour or so in the bed, but I did not! Since I got aware of the strong side effect of oxycodone, I decided to reduce the amount (1 tablet at a time) and space out the time (5 hrs) I take them. I took 1 tablet at midnight and fell asleep at 3am. I slept total of 5 hrs.

I did not really have much pain , so I did not take one until 7am. And I thought I would try to stop taking oxycodone, which was my mistake.

I had a strong nausea and dizzieness throughout the day, and ended up calling the emergency # assigned by the hospital. The doctor told me that I might be having a withdrawal symptom from oxycodone. So I took another tablet of oxyc and the heavy nausea was almost gone. The dr asked me to take oxycodone regularly even if the leg pain weren't too bad.

Other than that things went well today,  although my quad does nothing yet. Very appreciative of people who have been kind to me.

Offline Snowy

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2010, 03:44:13 AM »
Glad to hear that the leg pain is much better - that's a really good sign. I made the same mistake with not staying on top of the pain meds, except in my case rather than suffering withdrawal I just ended up in a lot of pain!

Quad function will come back once you're over the immediate trauma of surgery. Mine shut down after my original injury, and it was at least ten days before I could even get it to do a single flex. It would just give this sad little twitchy spasm when I tried. Before surgery I carried out a serious program of quad strengthening and this time they didn't shut down, but I know how frustrating it is. You should try and do quad flexes - just tensing up the quad muscle - as often as you can; even if it doesn't work at first you'll get there in the end. My PT said this was one of the most important things to do in the immediate aftermath of surgery (it may well be one of the exercises you've been given too.)

I hope the pain continues to improve now you've turned the corner!

Offline tez27

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2010, 09:14:49 AM »
Good for you getting a full 5 hours of sleep I think if you can get some decent sleep during the night anything that happend during the day dosen't feel quite as bad :D
Not too sure what oxycodine is well I know its a pain killer but not sure whats in it  but I have ben taking Tramadol for the last 2 years since original inury and was worried when the hospital sent me home with the same stuff as I though it might not be strong enough but lucky for me it has been fine I also take ibuprofen and if things are really bad paracetamol and codine, I know when I start to stop the tramadol I will find I have to go through some kind of withdrawal but I am prepared for it and I have started lowering the dose already so we shall have to see how that goes.
I really hope your pain improves as I'm sure it will and you continue to get some decent sleep.
Take care Tez 
L K injured 25th June 2008
scope Jan 5th 10
diagnosis ACL rupture
fiberous band excised from acl
ACLr July 19th 2010  scope on 24th Sept 2011
ACL has failed incorrect tunnel placement
23rd July 2012 1st stage of a 2 stage ACL revision
10th May 2013 2nd stage ACL revision

Offline wata

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2010, 03:39:33 AM »
Day 7.

I'm glad that I made it through 1week after the surgery!

Last night, I had a trouble when I went to bed. Changing positions of my heal on pile of pillows did not help to sooth the pain even though usually does. and had to wait until 3 am to take another tablet of painkiller. I slept about 4 hours, which is not bad.

This mornig I went to school to do some short discussions in a class. My roommate and classmates gave me rides to school and back. I did not notice until today how far it is to the classroom from the entrance. It felt good to begin with, but in the end of the class my leg on a chair has swollen and was unbearable.

Back home, I stayed on the couch and pain was minimum. The trip to school did not seem to hurt my knee luckily.. I did quad flex as often as I could. I had to take oxycodone every 6 hours because of withdrawal.

Thanks for the helpful information, Snowy and Tez!

Good night!

support