Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: TKR who has an oxinium knee?  (Read 807 times)

Offline walkswithdog

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
TKR who has an oxinium knee?
« on: July 28, 2010, 01:21:22 PM »
Well, surgery was 7/26 and it's 7/28 and it's not bad.  I've had arthroscopic cleanouts before, this feels sort of similar, only the area where they removed the plate is more stubborn about moving and painful than it would be otherwise.  The surgeon said what cartilage I had left has peeled up and is folding or tearing in large chunks and is what is causing a lot of the locking, there were also scar bands.  Looks like the TKR is a go after the bone firms up.  I'm taking calcium, magnesium, multi-vitamins and other supplements to push it along.  He took out some fairly large sections of bad cartilage and I can tell, the knee bends more smoothly already.  This may not be any kind of fix but it certainly helped, regardless of intent.

Now I can look forward to a full replacement with some joy.  If this is better, that will be a LOT better.  You sort of forget what it's like having a knee that doesn't scream all the time.  And I have a life to get back to.  Already my yearling mule is crying for momma to come out and play and I probably can't get up there until at least tomorrow.  Lucky for him this weekend we go to see about a pasture companion for him.  Laura feeds him but she doesn't know how to play with him, or keep him honest about what he's already learned.

I see the doc on the 3rd, so I'll update with his notes then.  Anyone else facing an HTO plate and screw removal  - don't sweat it.  It's not nearly as bad as the HTOP procedure and much more like a normal clean out.  As if that's normal but we're here... it is normal.

Glad you all are here, reading everyone else's experience helps.

Cher
« Last Edit: August 04, 2010, 12:56:27 PM by walkswithdog »

Offline walkswithdog

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
TKR who has an oxinium knee?
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2010, 12:55:15 PM »
Well the plate removal and recovery went well.  Doc was pleased with the site yesterday, it's about healed at 8 days and I've gotten full range of motion back.  So he said we're a go to do the TKR in 2-3 weeks because it healed well and quickly. 

He's going to do it minimally invasive with computer assistance to get the best fit possible because we can't MRI it, there are still a couple screws in there and because I  need as fast a recovery as possible - I do animal rescue and there's a lot of work involved in my fosters and my rescue mule.  And my partner is leaving town six weeks after the TKR surgery for business. So I have a real target window to be up and around and functional in.

I wanted max range, he wants to conserve the PCL - mounting a horse requires pretty much as close to 130 degrees as possible just to make it easy.  You also kneel or squat or otherwise get to the ground a LOT rehabilitating foster dogs and handling livestock.  Durable is really important, I'm 47, I bike and I hike and I ride.  So anyone with the oxinium?  How's that working out?