Advertisement - Hide this advert





Author Topic: Imminent Surgery Decision: Tibial Plateau Fracture  (Read 1848 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline nileshf

  • MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • *
  • Posts: 8
  • Liked: 0
Imminent Surgery Decision: Tibial Plateau Fracture
« on: July 24, 2010, 03:10:53 PM »
Hi all,

I recently (June 23rd) fractured my lateral tibial plateau. Unfortunately this happened while I was on vacation in India, and I guess the surgeon initially thought it was an undisplaced fracture and putting me in a cast would do. Three weeks later (July 12th) I was told I needed surgery, but I got a second opinion to confirm this (July 24th).

A CT scan and the literature I've read seem to confirm this. I have a Type II Schatzker fracture, and I would say about 1/3rd of the lateral tibial plateau has been been depressed. An MRI seems to indicate no meniscal damage, but there's a partial tear of the MPFL and a interstitial grade 1 injury to the ACL. The surgeon, I believe is recommending ORIF, where in a couple of cannulated screws would be used with bone graft to hold the joint in place.

I can now (24th July - 1 month after fracture) either get my surgery in India in about a week (1st week of August), or I can get it done in the US (where I'm about to start a 5 year PhD program) but this will probably mean waiting 2 weeks to a month more (August 23rd - 1st week of Sept) which would make it nearly 1 1/2 - 2 months after the date of the fracture.

I'm a little worried that the long wait time will complicate surgery (i.e. would 'healing' make the surgery difficult?), but at the same time since I'll be in the US for the immediate future, I suspect it makes a lot of sense to have the surgeon who treats me be able to do follow-ups and constant monitoring?

If you have any similar experiences or thoughts, I'd appreciate your help!

Thanks,
Nilesh

Offline SuckyKneesInNC

  • MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • **
  • Posts: 23
  • Liked: 1
Re: Imminent Surgery Decision: Tibial Plateau Fracture
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2010, 05:43:49 PM »
My husband had the same type of injury and in the ER they just put him in a brace with crutches and sent him home. He had a follow up with an OS 2 weeks after it happened and found out that he needed surgery. Due to finances and him not having health insurance he had to wait to have the surgery. He had it done about 2 months after the injury and did just fine.

Offline nileshf

  • MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • *
  • Posts: 8
  • Liked: 0
Re: Imminent Surgery Decision: Tibial Plateau Fracture
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2010, 05:45:57 PM »
Glad to hear it! I'm meeting the surgeon tomorrow ... fingers crossed!

Nilesh

Offline mangledsteel

  • MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • *
  • Posts: 12
  • Liked: 0
Re: Imminent Surgery Decision: Tibial Plateau Fracture
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2010, 04:07:29 AM »
i had a plate put in, 6 screws, it took me nearly 6 months to walk, im assuming i need a knee surgery too, i could only walk 20 yards at a time, reinjured my knee today, my suggestion is TAKE IT EASY NO MATTER WHAT, DONT PUSH YOURSELF, EVEN IF IT TAKES 6 MONTHS TO START LIMPING DONT BE IN A RUSH or youll wind up like me. push for a MRI too.















support