Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: In so much pain - worse than childbirth even. Sad and frustrated. What do I do?  (Read 3389 times)

Offline Citigirl

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Hi - new to the board and I hope I am posting correctly.  I am in so much pain, despite taking the pain meds as prescribed (Tramadol, Vicodin and now Percocet).  I cant walk, can't sleep, can't bear weight.  Knee is burning hot, some (but not a lot) of inflammation.  RICE not working after 3+weeks, Xray showed significant arthritis and I am waiting for my MRI films to be read to rule out meniscal tear.  I suffered no major injury or trauma, am going to see Ortho on Monday.  I went to urgent care twice over the weekend because the pain is so bad.  They gave me a knee immobilizer, crutches.  I am in so much pain.  I cannot get in to see Ortho any sooner.  How do I manage this pain until Monday?  I had small meniscal tear in same knee 6  or 7 years ago - also without suffering a major injury, had it scoped and I honestly don't remember it hurting anything like this.  How/why does this keep happening to me??  I am so depressed and upset and in so much pain.  Appreciate any words of advice or encouragement.  Thanks.

Offline eaglemom

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
so sorry you are suffering so much.  I do have several questions. Are you wearing immobilizer all the time? Does the knee feel any different when you have it on as opposed to having it off.  When you are ellivating and icing make certain the knee is higher than the heart.  Yes its uncomfortable but lay totally flat and elevate the knee with ice. Are you sure you didn't turn quickly, run into a table, take the stairs 2 at a time, something that would have started this episode?  Are you going to a hospital er or urgent care. At a hospital maybe they would be better able to assess your situation.  Sorry wish I could help. eagle

Offline Citigirl

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
elevated with ice 3 x a day, don't recall any specific injury - just a lot of heavy lifting and moving furniture/boxes carrying heavy bags that aggravated it.  my mri shows a cloudy spot where the mcl should be - I'm guessing is torn due to the complete absence of it as compared to normal mri films of the same area I was able to find on line.  i also see online that treatment is sometimes non-surgical (RICE) and I've tried this unsuccessfully for 3 months now.   I will be really frustrated if this is all they have to offer me.  thanks for responding.  I'm going to try harder to get in tomorrow - maybe they have a cancellation or can offer me a different, stronger med until I can get in on Monday.  Thanks fo listening

Offline tez27

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 8
I jut wanted to jump on and say sorry your in so much pain. and I can understand the frustration of feeling pain with no diagnosis of why you have the pain. My advice would be as Eagle has said go back to the hospital maybe if you make enough fuss they will produce a O.S from somewhere or get you a referel asap.
I hope you get some help soon take care Tez
L K injured 25th June 2008
scope Jan 5th 10
diagnosis ACL rupture
fiberous band excised from acl
ACLr July 19th 2010  scope on 24th Sept 2011
ACL has failed incorrect tunnel placement
23rd July 2012 1st stage of a 2 stage ACL revision
10th May 2013 2nd stage ACL revision

Offline dm

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 19
  • I hate my knee!! :(
You could try alternating ibuprofen and acetominophen every 3-4 hrs before switching back to the narcotics to try and break the pain cycle. Ice the knee 30min on 1 hr off as much as you can to pull the heat out of the knee, and the ice numbing it up will also help with the pain. I've been known to ice mine constantly for a couple hours, even though it's technically not recommended, because the cold blocks pain, and helps emotionally. Keep the leg elevated to hip level, if you can't lay down and put it up the rest of the way, so that gravity doesn't make the swelling worse by having your foot on the floor.

I am the veteran of 5 knee surgeries, fell 2 and a half weeks ago, just found out that it's probable that I've torn my ACL and possibly more, and I'm in constant pain even worse than my "usual" pain levels, so I totally feel ya. I have a polar care ice machine, and went through 20 pounds of ice, even with pain pills, the first weekend after I fell, just to be able to get some sleep at all, the pain was so bad. I slept hooked up to the ice machine, it's been that bad, and may end up that way again soon.

multiple arthroscopies 2/00,3/01,6/01,1/03, 12/07,10/10. chondromalacia, severe medial joint space narrowing following 3 partial menisectomies, chronic pain problems, kneecap problems, OCD lesion, failed mfx.

Offline eaglemom

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
I'm wondering what is going on here. I'd like an update.  Pain is an UGLY thing.  I'm 2 weeks post op and tried to switch to jel packs instead of ice - what a mistake.  Also tried to sleep one night with out ice machine, again what a mistake.  Something so simple as ice has wonderful results.  Hope the pain is better. eagle

Offline Citigirl

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
I've got an update - PCP put me on vicodin then 10 mg percocet - neither of which were taking edge off pain.  I had an MRI which showed a torn meniscus and torn ACL and discovered I've been walking around on this since end of April. The ortho I went to see wanted me to have it scoped and and suggested I go for a second opion.  Having already gone through this problem with same knee I was comfortable with scheduling scope, decided to go for second opion just to be sure but as I was leaving I decided to cancel due to the doctors extremely rude behavior during my exam.  He was completely unprofessional, condescending and uncompassionate, giving me no paid med "shussing" me twice while I tried to ask questions about the prodcedure and repeatedly told me that  didn't go to Harvard Medical School and would not understand if he tried to explain procedure to me. I left his office in tears, cancelling the arthroscopy.  He called me later that day to apologize for upsetting me, said he was completely overbooked and his behvaior was not appropriate.  I was glad he called but too upset to talk to him.  When I got home there were flowers waiting for me from this doctor, with a hand written card he had written himself (not by his staff), again apologizing.  I went for a seccond opinion and the 2nd doc suggested that the first doc would probably give me better care than any other doctor at this point.  He aslo indicated he was no longer doing surgery himself.  Doc 3 that cigna suggested was retired and doc #4  is on vacation for the next several weeks.  I have spent the last week frustrated and in pain, exhausted from trying to find the right person to treat my knee, all while trying to continue to work while in pain every day.  Long story short I'm having my knee scoped on Tues by "Dr. Rude" simply out of desperation at this point and I'd like some feedback on what you all make of this.  Thanks for listening.

Offline dm

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 19
  • I hate my knee!! :(
I think it says something that the doctor recognized that his behavior was that inappropriate, that he went to such extra effort to call, send flowers and a personally written card. I've never heard of a doctor doing that.

I can also understand that you were that upset over his cutting you off, being abrupt, and talking over you, and not listening to you during the office visit, and thus unable to address your questions etc when he did call later that day, as you hadn't gotten over the incident and weren't able to deal with your concerns logically yet.

From your comments, it seems that others rate the doctor a competent professional, and he evidently was having an uncharacteristically bad day, from the sound of things. I would feel out the office staff on that one, with a couple casual questions, and see if that might indeed be the case. He might have been having some issues that week, which, while not excusing his behavior, do explain it, and perhaps give some weight to giving the guy a chance to prove himself as the doctor to mend your problems.

On that note, you could call the office and ask to speak to the office manager or surgery scheduler saying that you have some questions about the procedure that were unaswered the other day because of  the situation that occurred, and that you'd feel feel more comfortable if you can either speak to someone or schedule another appointment before the surgery and get your concerns addressed. This gives you a window to speak to the dr/staff prior tothe procedure and either commit to it or cancel, depending on how you feel your concerns are addressed. Make sense?

Given the date on your note and my reply, you may have already had your scope, so i hope all went well if so.
multiple arthroscopies 2/00,3/01,6/01,1/03, 12/07,10/10. chondromalacia, severe medial joint space narrowing following 3 partial menisectomies, chronic pain problems, kneecap problems, OCD lesion, failed mfx.

Offline Citigirl

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
I had my scope yesterday and the doctor could not have been better, nicer, more informative.  I had 3 meniscal tears that he trimmed and unfortunately due the extreme amount of arthritis, and thinness of what little cartilage is left (I have a lot of bone on bone) he felt that ACL repair or replacement was not worth it becuase it's so stretched out.  Says I'm looking at partial or total knee replacement in the near future.   He spent a good deal of time with myself and my husband prior to and immediately following the scope and really did provide an outstanding level of care.  Thank you all for listening - finding a forum to post on when I was in so much pain got me through a very difficult week.