Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: 1 week, post surgery  (Read 1825 times)

Offline eaglemom

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
1 week, post surgery
« on: July 16, 2010, 05:21:02 PM »
Just checking in - I'm 1 week post surgery.  The surgeon and I had a LONG discussion prior to going under.  I hope upon hope all of our decisions were correct.  Of course, like everyone, I'm kindof second guessing and I shouldn't do that.  He did not do everything he'd thought he would do surgery wise.  However, the knee was so much worse than he'd thought from xray, mri and cat scans he did what he felt was best.  Surgery took just shy of 2 hr so he did lots of work.  Swelling is pretty bad, I'm staying on ice machine alot and sleeping with it.  Have very little range of motion from swelling. Hamstrings and screaming and twitching - pretty weird.  Pretty uncomfortable sitting a puter, which is why this is first posting.  eagle

Offline tez27

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 8
Re: 1 week, post surgery
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2010, 06:21:27 PM »
hi Eaglemom and welcome back after your surgery I had been wondering how everything went for you :)
Sorry you knee was in a worse state than expected but I really hope your sugeon has managed to do enough to give you a better working pain free knee..
Look forward to hearing how things progress for you, and when your feeling up to it please post what your surgeon ended up doing during your surgery
Take care Tez
L K injured 25th June 2008
scope Jan 5th 10
diagnosis ACL rupture
fiberous band excised from acl
ACLr July 19th 2010  scope on 24th Sept 2011
ACL has failed incorrect tunnel placement
23rd July 2012 1st stage of a 2 stage ACL revision
10th May 2013 2nd stage ACL revision

Offline TwoBadKneesUSA

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
  • No matter how bad it is, my dog still loves me!
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2010, 06:40:34 PM »
Good to hear from you.  I hope that with two hours of surgery under your belt, the OS managed to help things out.  When you are more comfortable, post some details.  Good luck...
'83 lt knee scope
'88 lt knee LR
'89 rt knee LR (6 mos. after left)
'05 rt knee scope (clean up)
7/5/07 - scope, LR left, right clean
3/19/08 - LR failed, Supartz failed
http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=47974.0
8/21/08 - new OS apt
8/5/09 - TTT, LR, PFJR sched.

Offline Snowy

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 93
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2010, 07:39:57 AM »
So glad to hear you're on the other side! I hope that all the work the surgeon did will be worth it in the long run. Take care and good luck for your recovery.  :)
Mar 11: R Biceps femoris tear (skiing)
Jul 10: ACLr (hamstring autograft)
Mar 10: L ACL rupture (skiing)
Feb 06: L partial ACL tear (kickboxing)
Dec 03: R bone edema (motorbike)
Jan 01: R patellar chip (motorbike)
May 93: R ACL sprain (hockey)
Ongoing: bilateral PFS and OA

Offline eaglemom

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2010, 04:23:48 AM »
I am being so careful / cautious its amazing.  Today its 1 week and I got out of the house for the 1st time.  I didn't want to my by better half "insisted" I should leave.  We did lunch then immediately back home.  Seems the last several days I'm more and more uncomfortable - kindof weird.  Can't sit well at all, far too much pain and discomfort.  Off to the sofa to keep leg up.  eagle

Offline TwoBadKneesUSA

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2010, 02:00:05 PM »
Discomfort while sitting is a common thing about a week out.  It may be another week before that starts getting better.  It was a good thing to get out.  I used to at least try to get out on the deck and get some fresh air every day.  Of course I could step right from the family room to the deck, no stairs. Keep us posted.

Milly
'83 lt knee scope
'88 lt knee LR
8/21/08 - new OS apt

Offline eaglemom

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2010, 04:36:25 AM »
Today its 2 weeks post surgery.  Of course I'm not where I'd like to be but I'm better than I was - maybe!  Quite frustrated with my os - he didn't spend any time this week - assigned pt and walked out.  I called the office to talk with the nurse and of course it took over 24 hr for her return call.  Naturally I was in the shower when she called! I called back to the office immediately but of course could speak with her. Just makes me mad WE have to be on time for appointments and wait - but ask a question and it can take a week.

Knee is still swelling.  I didn't sleep with the ice machine and it very definitely was more swollen this morning and stiff.  I'm taking pain meds - which I hate, but they keep me from doing things I shouldn't.  I'm trying to let the knee heal properly.  The os did say the knee was a mess and he'd hoped this bought me 6 months before the total knee - not what I wanted to hear. 

Hope everyone has a good weekend.  eagle

Offline TwoBadKneesUSA

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2010, 02:53:07 PM »
Yeah try to get a question answered!  Gosh I would have just told him to do the darn total knee if all I get is 6 months! WOW.  That must have been a shock to hear.  Hoping you are getting better every day though.

Milly
'83 lt knee scope
'88 lt knee LR
8/21/08 - new OS apt

Offline eaglemom

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2010, 02:41:48 PM »
Yes I am better. Still swelling but that is to be expected.  I do have more range of motion now - not great but some.  I Finally spoke with the os's nurse - she and I just aren't meant to get along I don't think.  She's rude and talks over me and doesn't answer the questions which I ask. This is a new role for her and frankly she sucks at it! I got a lecture about how to ice - that wasn't even a question I asked. I start pt on Thur so we will see where we go from here.  I do like this os - however if the office staff are not professional / helpful / encouraging / knowledgeable I'll find but yet another os for the next surgery.  I need to be able to communicate with the office staff - I'm not being able to do that now.  But the good news is I havve movement - I'll take the little victories!!! eagle

Offline TwoBadKneesUSA

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2010, 04:46:53 PM »
Too bad about the office staff.  I wonder why some office staff are just rude like that.  Do they realize they could be chasing a patient away?  Little victories are good.  With bigger knee surgeries you usually have to take the little victories.

Good that you are getting movement.  Let me know what the PT thinks.

Milly
'83 lt knee scope
'88 lt knee LR
8/21/08 - new OS apt

Offline PinkPalm

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2010, 07:32:30 PM »
Walk into your next appt and slap down a list of your questions and concerns.  If he tries to bug out remind him you're not thru the list yet. For me being on pain meds really slowed down my assertiveness, plus I couldn't remember half my concerns once I got there. It was physically exhausting to just get out of the house, into the car, into the office, xray room, then exam room.

Best wishes,
Kim
Kimmy

6/30/10 - Right patella fracture - broken completely in half
7/9/10 - Open reduction with pins

Offline eaglemom

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2010, 07:28:41 PM »
I'm back from my first pt appointment. i'm icing and writing this - I've had pain med so in my head this makes sense but how knows!! It will be nap time shortly.

I am and was very impressed  - I've rehabed here before and forgot just how they do things.  They don't put tons of emphasis on "homework" for me to do - instead give several exercises to do.  But rather they do LOTS of muscle / leg rubbing stretching manipulation. But not manipulation that are severe, just a stretch type. They were quite concerned about lateral part of leg - which has been the issue for over 3 years.  The tibial head isn't centered where it should be - thus the pain. They say they can strengthen the thigh muscles enough to "Pull" that into where it almost should be.  If they can do that I'm really a happy camper. Because of swelling I'm wrapped from toes to midthigh. And to stay that way. Also I'm to be on 1 crutch when not at the house - and they adjusted it very differently. They made it about 3 inches shorter but brought when you hand goes to the top.  This way I'm really using it as a cane - but its a crutch.  That was it forces you to stand upright - thus pressure on knee is equal and not off center.  Its hard to describe.   Ok folks thatss my report.  Hope it makes sense - I'm off to the bed for afternooon nap.  eagle

Offline eaglemom

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2010, 07:14:57 PM »
Well, now I'm back for pt #2.  Going well, except he's taken me back to 2 crutches.  He doesn't like the gimp / limp thingy I'm doing. He said we'd do this "at least another week." So obviously I've got to work on the proper bend. He also said the two crutches were for all the time not just when out and about. Not what I want but its not the end of the world either. He wants me wrapped from my ankle to mid-thigh - not too fun when the temps are over 108 but again its short term and not the end of the world. Hope we all heal quickly! eagle

Offline TwoBadKneesUSA

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2010, 09:02:26 PM »
So you move from AC to AC right?  It is better to keep the support and walk right.  Let my back tell the story.  I was so suprised by one PT I had that was so crazy for me to get off crutches before I was really ready.  Set back the rehab.  Keep working at it, it comes back.
'83 lt knee scope
'88 lt knee LR
8/21/08 - new OS apt