Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: TTT IN UK.  (Read 1362 times)

Offline PERDITA

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
TTT IN UK.
« on: July 14, 2010, 07:03:48 PM »
Hi I,m new to this site,I,m due to have ttt on my left knee within the month,is there anyone from the uk whose had this? Most posts about ttt are from the USA and it seems different surgeons recommend  different recovery times. I have a very physical job and was just wondering how long people have taken off work? Thanks in advance.
has problems with both kee,s locking for appros 20 years. left knee is maltracking,waiting for ttt.

Offline Leentje

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 2
  • ER nursing rules !!!
Re: TTT IN UK.
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2010, 09:06:11 PM »
Hi

I'm from Belgium an had a TTT in 2002. My recovery was also a lot different (and quicker) from US people. Have to say I read a lot about TTT but put myself 100% in my own rcovery as my OS told me how it would go. I also have a very physical job (nurse on ortho ward back then, now on ER) and was back to work 11 weeks after the surgery. With a few ristrictions (no running whatsoever) but without problems. 5 months after the TTT I was running again. As an competitive badminton player I told my OS I would do ANYTHING to return to my sport.

If you have any questions, shoot! Good luck

Helena
Bilat patellar malalignment/PFdysplasia
00/06/83 L wrist #
11/12/00 L knee LR + chondroplasty
21/08/02 L knee TTT
02/03/04 L knee stretched PCL
11/09/07 L ankle dislocation/medial avulsion #
25/05/09 L ankle medial avulsion # AGAIN!
05/06/13 R ankle dislocation

Offline PERDITA

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2010, 06:13:54 PM »
Thanks Helena,I,m not a runner so that won,t be a problem!!!! When you say restrictions,what kind? I use a lot of stairs and lift heavy boxes by bended my knees,did yours "give" when bent. Thanks.
has problems with both kee,s locking for appros 20 years. left knee is maltracking,waiting for ttt.

Offline gabster

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2010, 02:28:49 AM »
hi....I am from Australia and had ttt done and a lateral release in Jan this year. I also have a physical job, work in retail which means lots of walking and lifting heavy things. After op was weight bearing straight away, with the help of crutches for about  a fortnight i was limping about on my own after that. I cant say i had alot of pain, probably more frustration in the knee giving way every now and then. You have to do a lot of quad building excersises, which are boring, but there is no other choice. After six months i am still walking with a slight limp..still cant run though. but am managing o.k at work. the knee still swells, but am taking iboprufen and this seems to be helping. I wish you all the best because its a long recovery, but dont give up hope the knee improving ... it just takes a long time...cheers from Perth
2006 arthroscopy
2010 lateral release/tibial tubular transfer

Offline PERDITA

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2010, 01:52:28 PM »
Thanks Gabster,that,s really helpful,I,m in retail too and I,m terrified of my knee "giving" while lifting or carrying. When you say work is ok,did you go back after 2 weeks?

Offline nathansknee

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2010, 07:40:52 PM »
Hey! Thought I'd say hello and get involved here! I'm in a uk hospital at the moment recovering from a TTT (emslie trillat to be precise) I'm 2 days post op and am on my way to recovery. I won't lie, yesterday was painful, but day has been tons better. I've been told to walk
On eggshells for 6 weeks then after that I can get back to things taking it very easy. I'm only 26 and have been told to treat my leg like a rolls Royce, ie: If I treat it well for a year, it will last me a lifetime. I wouldn't rush back if I were you, defo take it easy. And don't ever refuse painkillers, even if you don't think you don't need them :) any more questions jut ask!
Nathan

Trying to be positive over my knee...

Offline gabster

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2010, 10:25:33 PM »
hi....i  was supposed to go back after 3 weeks, but the physio told me it would  definately be 3 months off work! Because of all the walking and lifting  'we'
do in retail, he said it wasnt advisable. I would never have been able to stand for 8 hours let alone walk. The knee is still sore and swells after 6 hours. I am doing part time now 28hrs a week. I still have probs with the knee giving way every now and then, so i wear a knee support to work.
when they did the ttt i had 2 screws put in just below kneecap, after 3 months i asked the surgeon to take them out. it was such a yucky feeling, i could feel every twist and turn. It is much better now. at least thats one good thing. I would say , be careful dont go back to work too soon its not worth it. You know what its like in retail ( i work for harvey norman in small appliances) just when you need help lifting something there is never anyone around!! so good luck ...please let me know how you are doing...kind regards gabster
2006 arthroscopy
2010 lateral release/tibial tubular transfer

Offline Leentje

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 2
  • ER nursing rules !!!
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2010, 06:48:14 PM »
Restrictions were not to run or transfer patients alone, neither transport beds alone.
The knee giving way is due to muscle weakness post op. You just have to do those stupid strenghtening exrecises till you're bored to death!
I only went to PT 9 times and did the rest on my own.
When would you have surgery?
Helena
Bilat patellar malalignment/PFdysplasia
00/06/83 L wrist #
11/12/00 L knee LR + chondroplasty
21/08/02 L knee TTT
02/03/04 L knee stretched PCL
11/09/07 L ankle dislocation/medial avulsion #
25/05/09 L ankle medial avulsion # AGAIN!
05/06/13 R ankle dislocation

Offline PERDITA

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2010, 05:15:25 PM »
Thanks to everyone for your replies,Nathan hope your doing well? I,m hoping to have operation in August,was very confused about work,my surgeon said brace for minimum of 10 weeks,but said as long as i can drive I should be ok! Think I,m going to take everyone,s advice and stay off for longer,I don,t want to go back too early,damage it and be back where i started!

Offline Chloe901

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2010, 10:50:19 PM »
Hi there

I'm 19, and I had my TTT in Gloucester, UK in March this year. I don't work full time, but I am at university, and I was off for 7 weeks. I work part time in a library, so quite a lot of bending and lifting as you describe, and only went back to work about 2 weeks ago. This is because of the tightness I still get in my knee, and the pain I experience when walking etc. I cannot bend my knee heel-to-bum, as it were, and therefore cannot crouch. I also cannot kneel on the operated knee, and this limits me at work. Fortunately for me, my shifts are short, and I can always ask someone else to stack the lower shelves!

Like 'nathansknee', I'm happy to answer any questions you have about the procedure, although I admit I was pumped up to the eyeballs with painkillers most of the time I was in hospital!

Do you mind me asking when you are going to be having your operation?

Regards
Chloe
2005 - pain started in left knee
2005-09 - pain spreads to both knees and both hips
March 2010 - TTT operation on left knee
January 2011 - hardwear removal from '10 TTT

Offline PERDITA

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2010, 05:56:01 PM »
Hi Chloe,are you in Gloucester library? my sister goes there all the time,small world! Looks like I,m having the operation on Fri 13th Aug,trust me! Knowing that a few people have stayed off work for longer than 12 weeks makes me feel a lot better,I don,t get sick pay so don,t know how I,ll manage but I really want this operation to work,so I,m going to take everyone,s advice and not push it. Any advice before I go in? How long were you in hospital,I,m hoping I,ll be a day case. Thanks.

Offline Chloe901

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2010, 11:12:42 PM »
Hi,

Wow, it's weird that you know Gloucester! Lol, I work as cover for holidays/maternity and such like, so I can work at Gloucester in theory, but haven't yet.

Definitely don't push it. I think it's the worst thing you could do. The operation and recovery is painful enough (or at least, it was for me) so the last thing you want is extra pain because you've tried to speed up mother nature!

As for advice before you go in, make sure there's going to be someone around to look after you when you come out of hospital, at least for the first few days, because you won't be able to get about easily, and you won't want to! I was really tired for the first week or so, and found I needed to take naps in the middle of the day, which meant I needed someone to help me up and down the stairs, in and out of bed etc. I also needed help in and out of the shower (because our shower is in the bath, so I had to step over the edge of the bath to get in; pain in the bum!) Make sure there's somewhere comfy you can set up camp for a few days, with a foot stool or something to put your leg up on. Also, make sure there is someone who can take you to your physiotherapy appointments, and help you do the physio. If you do it every day religiously, you will seriously benefit your recovery.

I went into hospital on a Wednesday morning (had to be there at 7am!) and was first on the list for surgery. I went home on the Friday, so I was in for two nights. I don't mean to be the bearer of bad news, but I seriously doubt you'll be a day case. You'll probably be on morphine for the day of the operation at least (I weaned myself off in the evening, because it made me so woozy, I couldn't stand it). If you're on morphine, they won't let you home, because you're all woozy and don't really understand what's going on. For me, to be released I had to pass a load of 'checks' by the physiotherapists. I had to be able to get out of bed, walk so many metres (about 10/15 I think? It wasn't very far) and go up AND down the stairs. I also had to open my bowels before I was allowed to leave, because I was on codeine, and it can make you constipated, so they don't let you home until you've been to the loo!
I could have probably gone home on the Thursday, but when the physiotherapists came around to get me out of bed, I got as far as the chair next to my bed and passed out! So I couldn't do all the other physio that day, which I guess set me back! I'd bet to be in hospital for at least one night, but likely two.

Oh, another thing to bear in mind is that for the first 10 hours or so, you won't be able to get up and go to the loo, so you might need to use a bedpan. Totally humilliating the first time, but you quickly get used to it, because you realise, it's that or mess the bed!

The main thing to remember, is that it's a long road to recovery. Even now, I don't have the range of movement in my leg that I did before the operation, and I probably have to go into hospital around Easter next year to have the screws taken out, but it will hopefully all be worth it!

Do you have any other particular concerns?

Regards
Chloe
2005 - pain started in left knee
2005-09 - pain spreads to both knees and both hips
March 2010 - TTT operation on left knee
January 2011 - hardwear removal from '10 TTT

Offline PERDITA

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2010, 05:55:34 PM »
Thanks Chloe,sorry for not replying sooner,but I,ve been running around tryint to get the house and my daughter,s school uniform ready because my op was 13th Aug. But just had letter that it,s een put back to 10th sep!!! All that running around for nothing!!!! As for concern,s none really,just want to get it done now,can,t sit or lie in a comfortable position,pain is dragging me down and I want it over with. Sorry feeling very sorry for myself today! xx