Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: More surgery  (Read 1368 times)

Offline missmyknee

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 23
  • From the Land of OZ
More surgery
« on: October 04, 2003, 07:58:58 AM »
Just saw my OS and the synvisc did not do a thing, in fact my knee is worse. :'( I am scheduled for another chondroplasty in November.  My Os said my "last bridge to burn" on my knee is a partial knee replacement and he will do this anytime when I've had enough of this knee. Bummer :(

Pam
4Fx Clsd red
IMrod fib plate
derotate osteotmy tibfib
AF
IPCS patbaja
DeLeeOsteotmy,LOA,LR Zplasty,bongrf,chondrplty
chondrplty,LOA,fatpad remvd
TKR
openLOA,neurectmy,ITB Zplasty,fabela
PLC recon,revison,LOA,synovec
MCL,revison LOA
openLOA,prox Zplasty
openLOA, 6 neuromas excised,synov
3 Fusions

Iona_-Uk

Re: More surgery
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2003, 11:29:50 AM »
Hi Pam

I'm sorry to hear you are facing a PKR sometime.

I do hope the chrondroplasty will at least give some relief and hopefully you won't need the PKR for some time.

Take care
Iona

Offline Heather M.

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 13
    • Check out my photography!
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2003, 09:55:56 PM »
Pam,

Do you still have the patella baja?  What about the infrapatellar contracture syndrome?  I guess my question would be, did the DeLee osteotomy successfully lever the patella up out of the joint?

If that is the case, does your doctor just think the damage to the cartilage is so severe that even though it's not in contact (no bone on bone) it still is very painful?

I'd be interesting in hearing what the doctor thinks is going on....my last set of x-rays showed zero joint space between the patella and the other parts of the knee, as well as a solid patella baja with the kneecap striking the tibial plateau....so frustrating.

So the doctor is now recommending a patello-femoral joint replacement? (The patellar and trochlear resurfacing components of a TKR).  Did he say anything about the success rates?

Sorry for all the questions, you're right where a couple of us are going to be in not too long.....I'm sorry for the disappointing news.  Are you still doing PT and other things to make your life a little more comfortable?  I've been using my TENS unit every night, the darned knee has been throbbing and aching, with that nasty pain behind the knee......

Heather
Scope #1: LR, part. menisectomy w/cyst, chondroplasty
#2-#5: Lysis of adhesions/scar tissue, AIR, patellar tendon debridement, infections, MUA, insufflation
#6: IT band release / Z-Plasty, synovectomy, LOA/AIR, chondroplasty
2006 Arthrofibrosis, patella baja
http://www.flickr.com/photos/hmaxwell

Offline Jennie

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 0
  • LoveBug
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2003, 10:33:06 PM »
Pam

Just wanted to tell you I am very sorry that the injections didn't do the job for you!

Keep your chin up and when it comes time for the PKR then just concentrate on getting yourself better.

As for the surgery in November, good luck and take it easy

Love,Jennie
21 yrs. old..Right knee injury. Ligament Recon 6-21-01, 2 LR's 3/02 & 9/02
TTT 11/08/02, patella and ligament recon 5/03
Recently dx with OA, Having hardware removed and knee scoped on 6/24/04

Offline missmyknee

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 23
  • From the Land of OZ
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2003, 02:49:39 AM »
HI TO ALL OF YOU

Thank you Iona ,Heather M, and Jennie for the well wishes.

Heather......I don't still have a patella baja since my patella was moved up. However my doc said that patella baja was one of the worst knee problems you can have and it's almost impossible to get it back to normal. I have damage from the patella scooping out the grove like an ice cream scoop. My xrays are satisfactory to my doc however my patella is sitting deeper in the grove than my good knee. He mentioned raising my tendon higher with bone graft in June but doesn't think he needs to now. I thought raising it made perfect sense as my patella feels like it's rubbing or scraping when I walk. The synvisc didn't help this. The DeLee osteotomy helped greatly I am very glad I did it. It improved my mobility greatly.  I'm also experiencing the aftermath of patella baja.......the damage done before the osteotomy was done. I was walking around with not only a patella too low from contractures but  tibial torsion from a incorrectly set tibia. He wants to see if he can smooth anything out more and see if there is tissue causing my patella to get hung up. I think he is talking about the patello-femoral replacement as he mentioned covering or capping the trochlear and condyls and patella. I was not expecting this but he said it was my last bridge to burn on my knee. I haven't discussed it in anymore detail with him. It hasn't advanced to that yet. I still rehab 3x's a week 1hr a time and have been doing this for 19 mos now. PT is becoming very painful to do now. Heather is the tens unit helping? I did that for 6 mos.

Pam
4Fx Clsd red
IMrod fib plate
derotate osteotmy tibfib
AF
IPCS patbaja
DeLeeOsteotmy,LOA,LR Zplasty,bongrf,chondrplty
chondrplty,LOA,fatpad remvd
TKR
openLOA,neurectmy,ITB Zplasty,fabela
PLC recon,revison,LOA,synovec
MCL,revison LOA
openLOA,prox Zplasty
openLOA, 6 neuromas excised,synov
3 Fusions

Offline Jillian24

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2003, 06:19:26 AM »
Oh Pam that is terrible.... Well at least your Os is willing to do that and not wait. That is a good thing. But I am sorry that you are having so much trouble. Hopefully you can get some answers soon. Good Luck to you...Jillian
ONE TTT LAST OCT
10 LR'S    ONE MEDIAL RELEASE
STAPH INFECTION.....MANY MONTHS IN HOSPITAL

Offline anasta5ia

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2003, 03:40:42 AM »
Pam-

I am so sorry that you are again faced with having another surgery.

Hopefully the PKR can wait for a long time.

You are in my thoughts-
-Heather G.
Rt. knee-plica resection, LR, 4 TTTs, MPFL repair & 2 MPFL reconstructions
Lt. knee-2 TTTs, & 2 MPFL reconstructions...
Scheduled for bilateral hardware removal, lt. knee TT revision, MPFL recon and LR recon with new wonderful surgeon.
Plus 9 other orthopedic surgeries

support