Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: My ACLr reconstruction - 7 July 2010  (Read 3178 times)

Offline Snowy

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 93
Re: My ACLr reconstruction - 7 July 2010
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2010, 07:23:32 PM »
Morning all. :) It's a fine sunshiny day here in Vancouver and I'm feeling well enough to be annoyed that I'm stuck in here on the couch instead of out and about on my bike or in the pool. Perhaps it's time to attempt the stairs to the roof deck so I can at least take my book out in the sun...

Zola - hope you're able to get a few more pro hair washes in before you become too mobile to still seem in need of assistance! In answer to your questions...

1. Ankle pumps - I haven't heard that adding resistance will help. The ankle pumps are really for keeping the blood circulating rather than trying to work muscle, so I would imagine that it's better not to have resistance and to keep up rapid, repeated movements.

2. I went back to taking all my supplements, including glucosamine, right after surgery. I wasn't told not to, but I will check this out with the OS at my followup on Tuesday.

3. Returning to work really depends on when you feel ready. I asked a question about this on the cruciates forum after my medical leave was approved, as I was curious to see how my time off compared to other people's. It seems six weeks is fairly standard, but a lot of the folk with desk jobs went back sooner. I'm lucky in that I had a large sick bank (I almost never take time off sick) and my OS has signed me off for 8 weeks to give me a chance to really focus on the recovery and get in the best possible shape for my return to work. After my ACL rupture in March I worked at home for two weeks before going back, and I found the first couple of weeks I was back really difficult; so this time I would prefer to play it safe and not rush it.

4. I think we're all probably sharing the same concerns about graft resilience - I know it's very much on my mind. I talked to both the OS and PT and they reassured me that it's actually quite hard to do something that would stretch the graft in the immediate aftermath of surgery, as the leg is simply too swollen and sore to move enough! My PT reminded me that when they put the graft in, the first thing they do before they close you up is move the knee through full flex and extension a few times to make sure it's in the right place and is tight enough/not too tight. As long as you avoid twisting and lateral movements (and your whole rehab regime will be geared around this) the graft should be fine. Just be careful walking on uneven ground, especially while your proprioception is still a bit messed up after surgery.

5. Throw a "Mum's Cooking Party" for your friends. Get everyone to make their mom's favorite recipe and bring it over, then everyone votes for the best, worst and weirdest offerings. The chicken soup will get eaten, you'll have an excuse to hang out with your friends, and hopefully everyone will drink enough that they won't notice how awful it tastes. ;)

How are your exercises coming along? I'm doing fairly well on extension but don't have much flex yet - the swelling is hampering me a lot and the heel slides pull on my staples in a very unpleasant way (pics of Frankenknee over on my post-op thread if you're interested.) General mobility is improving every day, however.

Happy RICEing...

Kay
Mar 11: R Biceps femoris tear (skiing)
Jul 10: ACLr (hamstring autograft)
Mar 10: L ACL rupture (skiing)
Feb 06: L partial ACL tear (kickboxing)
Dec 03: R bone edema (motorbike)
Jan 01: R patellar chip (motorbike)
May 93: R ACL sprain (hockey)
Ongoing: bilateral PFS and OA

Offline Cosmicsnuffle

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 0
  • Life's short - eat pudding first!
« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2010, 08:37:21 PM »
Hey All,

Zola - I've just caught up with your thread again - thank you for your kind words, they mean a lot.

Those first confined days are terribly frustrating, but seeing as I'm normally running round like a looney it made for an interesting change.

It's great at 8 weeks post op to have better quality and greater quantity of walking than I've had in 10 months  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D.... however (I won't say "but" as I've been told that everything that comes before "but" is BS!!) the hardest part now is feeling like I CAN do so many things but knowing that the risk to the graft is just too great.... it's a big test of willpower.

I'm afraid your footie references are so far above my head they're in orbit  :-\ .... although I should be able to understand some of the references to Chelsea as my brother has been a supporter since our Grandma and Grandad bought him a Chelsea kit for his Action Man in the early 1970s -  What better way to decide what team you are going to support LoL...

Keep up the good work :-) xx

Oct 04 - torn meniscus
Dec 05 meniscal trim and debridement
Sep 09 torn ACL, kissing contusions, knee locked 30-60o
Jan 10 ACL stump debrided, lateral parrot beak meniscal tear trimmed
May 10 ACLr (Hamstring)
Aug 11 mfx (focal lesion lateral femoral condyle)
Jun 14 100k walk London-Brighton 28hrs

Offline zola

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2010, 12:19:28 PM »
Hey all

Thanks for all the advice. Snowy - your idea for mum's cooking was genius!! Worked out well.

Day 13 already. I would like to say the time has gone quickly but it hasn't. I am really quite bored now and missing activity. Was not even excited by the weekend as it was like any other  lazy day of late. Having said that have had a few more visitors which was nice as pleased for the company. I even managed to crutch it to the end of the road for a pub lunch with mum and a friend (a diversion tactic for mum's cooking), obviously alcohol free but nice all the same!

Exercises continuing as normal. Still have not managed straight leg raise but all the others going well. The leg brace is starting to irritate me as I become more mobile as it has a tendancy to slip down all the time, I am forever adjusting it... and tighten it to the point it cuts off my blood supply. Off painkillers as of day 9.

Swelling contiunes to go down and the bruising around the back of my knee is pretty impressive. Wounds healing nicely with internal dissolvable stitches and I can start on the massage and bio-oil soon. I have a slight loss of sensitivity to the right of my knee but hopefully it will return in time.

Went to visit my physio for the first time yesterday. I thought she would get me trying to do more exciting things but that was not the case. She just checked where I was at with my excercises and told me to persist with everything until Friday when I see her again. I do have a couple extra to try and waken my quads, but with patellar graft quads do tend to switch off. Unfortunately I have to keep with the crutches and leg brace for the time being.

Anyhow I suppose no news is good news....... and I look forward to reading of the continuing adventures of Snowy and everyone else's news, especially Tez's operation.... which I believe is today - so good luck Tez and I wish you a speedy recovery.

Oh and I just have to add here Joe Cole to Liverpool WTF? Don't get that move at all..... Joey what were you thinking? (kerrchhing is the only thing that springs to mind!)

x

Offline zaiemk

• Regular Poster
« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2010, 01:39:40 PM »
Hi Zola

I think your quads will also be affected by the brace as well - dont worry they will come to life soon enough - it is amazing how quickly the muscle disappears though.

The boredom - what can I say - I'm keeping track of the Tour de France (which is pretty good this year) and watched the Open last week/end.  Some pre season matches have kicked off and trying to catch them where I can as well.  Can usually pick up highlights at goaltube.org.  I've started venturing outside a bit more since week two - two hour walk to twon and back today for the Vitamin E oil (thanks Snowy).

Joey is chasing the dosh - ooh but you've got Yosi now -why?   Liverpool reckon they can use JC to keep hold of Torres and Gerard??  Not sure.... Roy is a good manager (although he didnt have a good time when he managed us - Blackburn) and I reckon he will do a good joib at LFC.  Having said that, I also thought Rafa was a good manager - some of the players he bought though....

Take care
Zaiem

Offline roo222

• Regular Poster
« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2010, 02:00:36 PM »
Hey Zola sounds like your doing quite well. Although im sure it seems like your not getting anywhere very fast, im sure time will start to fly when you get back on your feet and back to sports/work etc, and like you say no news is good news as far as the graft is concerned. As long as the sweelling continues to go down thats good news also, as i guess that might be hindering your leg raises and other excercises.

And i have to agree with you about joe cole... why oh why go to liverpool. Must say i reckon he'll come back to haunt us. My older bro is a liverpool fan as well which makes it that much worse. ::) While Benayoun is a good player, i dont see why we spent 5.5 mill on an older and foreign (please dont think im being racist or anything, its just with these new UEFA rules regarding homegrown players...) version of joe cole, when we could of just kept Joe Cole, who in my eyes is a legend. :( Hopefully ill come to eat my words.

Any way, on a brighter note, good luck with the continued recovery.
xxx
March 2010: Torn ACL and meniscus damage to right knee (football)
April 2010: Arthroscopy to partially remove meniscus
October 14th: ACLr (hamstring graft) :)

Offline tez27

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #20 on: July 20, 2010, 07:26:31 PM »
Hi Zola and thanks for the good wishes and now I can join you in the post surgery part of all this. I hope your recovery is coming along and your feeling better every day, its funny how some surgeons put their patients in a brace and others dont I dont have one so I'm just a bit freaked when walking in case the knee gives out again cos it feels a bit wobbly but I suppose its only day 1 or is that classed as day 2 not sure :P
Sorry I'm another one who aint got a clue when talking all things football it is like another language to me so I shant enter into that side of the conversation ;)
Sorry about the boredom but I should think by about day 3 I will be joining you in feeling like that..
Take care Tez
L K injured 25th June 2008
scope Jan 5th 10
diagnosis ACL rupture
fiberous band excised from acl
ACLr July 19th 2010  scope on 24th Sept 2011
ACL has failed incorrect tunnel placement
23rd July 2012 1st stage of a 2 stage ACL revision
10th May 2013 2nd stage ACL revision

Offline zola

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #21 on: October 28, 2010, 09:15:26 AM »
Hi all - well it has been just over 16 long and painstaking weeks since my surgery. My recovery has been slow but have been back at work in London since week 4, although for 1 month did part-time hours to miss the rush and now still starting early and finishing early to miss the real horrors of the tube.

It's been far tougher than I imagined with progress much slower than I'd hoped, sometimes still have a limp when I am tired. I am now at the point where I am doing gym work at least 5 times a week, 20 minutes cross country on the bike and 20 minutes cross trainer with leg press, although struggling still with any weight over 50lbs on bad leg, squats etc. Balance still isn't the best.

Reason I am posting is that I am petrified I have re-injured myself. Had a fall on saturday getting out car in the dark. Went down quite hard, with a slight twist. Since then I have got some bruising and injured leg still really sore. I have my next physio appoitnment on tuesday but cannot stop worrying.  I didn't have bad swelling and am still going to the gym - more pain than there has been but probably due to the bruising? What do you think?? I know that only my OC can tell me - but deep down if I'd done something really bad again I would have a bit more of an outward sign other than soreness and bruising?? This injury has turned me paranoid......

Offline Snowy

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 93
« Reply #22 on: October 28, 2010, 09:30:12 AM »
Hi Zola!

At 16 weeks a slight twist shouldn't damage the graft, although it does depend on how hard you fell. You had a patellar tendon graft if I remember correctly; if so then you have bone-on-bone healing, and the fixation should also be pretty secure by now too. Your PT will at least be able to check the graft and ensure that it's solid, so if you're really concerned you could always move your PT appointment up.

I know it's incredibly scary when something like this happens. I think my worst incident so far was when I slipped and fell off my wobble board at about 6 weeks post-surgery. I landed heavily on the bad leg; it didn't buckle or twist, but it was way more impact than I'd placed on it since surgery at a point when the graft was very weak. I spent about five days convinced I'd blown the whole thing before seeing my PT and being reassured that the graft was fine. My PT gave me some good advice at that point: it's actually pretty hard to damage the graft to the extend where it fails.

Which is a long-winded way of saying that I really hope everything is okay. Obviously you won't know for sure until you see either your PT or OS, but you'd be incredibly unlucky to have done any permanent damage in that kind of fall. Keeping my fingers crossed for you!

Kay
Mar 11: R Biceps femoris tear (skiing)
Jul 10: ACLr (hamstring autograft)
Mar 10: L ACL rupture (skiing)
Feb 06: L partial ACL tear (kickboxing)
Dec 03: R bone edema (motorbike)
Jan 01: R patellar chip (motorbike)
May 93: R ACL sprain (hockey)
Ongoing: bilateral PFS and OA

Offline zola

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #23 on: October 28, 2010, 09:51:34 AM »
Thanks Snowy - I have all my fingers, toes (maybe not legs) crossed as well! I have had a few near misses also on the wobble board .... darn thing!

I did have the patellar graft so hoping its okay.  Called my physio and discussed it and she more or less echoed what you have just said. I don't have any pain from the twist it more feels like a bruise. It really has turned me into a bag of nerves and typically just happended when I finally felt I was getting somewhere with my recovery.

x