Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Treatment of Patella luxation in Denmark  (Read 2971 times)

Offline Merete

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Treatment of Patella luxation in Denmark
« on: July 11, 2010, 04:44:10 PM »
A few years ago my daughter dislocated her knee cap several times and ended up having to undergo an MPFL operation and an Arthroscoptic Trochleoplasty operation. She got the operations done at a private hospital called "Gildhøj privathospital" by a doctor named Lars Blønd.

This is the only place in Denmark where you can get this type of operation which is done using a telescope rather than slizing the whole knee upon, which is the the normal way to treat these kinds of knee injuries in other hospitals.
Due to a succesfull operation she was able to put some weight on it without any significant pain later the same day. After her rehabilitation of the knee, she now 10 months later, has no problems with her knee and is able to participate in sports activities at school without the fear of dislocating it again.

This is ment as a recommendation of this type of surgery and of the hospital "Gildhøj" for unfortunate people who has had the same type of injury as my daughter.

Merete

Offline anniehine

• Forum Faithful
Re: Treatment of Patella luxation in Denmark
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2010, 07:43:44 PM »
Hi there,

As a trochleoplasty (via sliced open knee) patient, I am really curious to know how this operation can be done arthroscopically.  In order for the trochlea groove to be deepened (or in my case created) the kneecap must be taken off so that the meniscus can be taken off in order to access the trochlea.  I just don't understand how the operation can be done arthroscopically.  If you are able to enlighten me I would be very grateful!

Thanks, Annie.
Left knee started dislocating at 7 years old
Hypermobile
Arthroscopic scope April 2009
Trochleoplasty at 28 years old (10.2.10)
Did 1st SLR 1.4.10 WHOOP!!
Walked through house without crutches (12.4.10) very pleased with myself!!

Offline The KNEEguru

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 114
  • The KNEEguru
    • The KNEEguru
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2010, 07:51:06 PM »
Vu-medi has a video of Lars Blond performing arthroscopic trochleoplasty - http://www.vumedi.com/profile/LarsBlond - but you need to register.

PS I see it is only for surgeons. Still, I leave the link here for any surgeons accessing this thread.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2010, 07:53:30 PM by The KNEEguru »
--
KNEEguru

Offline anniehine

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2010, 09:27:02 PM »
Aaargh rubbish, I need to find a surgeon friend! ::)  Thanks anyway
Left knee started dislocating at 7 years old
Hypermobile
Arthroscopic scope April 2009
Trochleoplasty at 28 years old (10.2.10)
Did 1st SLR 1.4.10 WHOOP!!
Walked through house without crutches (12.4.10) very pleased with myself!!

Offline GymRat

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2010, 10:11:41 PM »

Due to a succesfull operation she was able to put some weight on it without any significant pain later the same day. After her rehabilitation of the knee, she now 10 months later, has no problems with her knee and is able to participate in sports activities at school without the fear of dislocating it again.

Merete

I just wanted to say thank you! I am relieved to see a fellow trochleoplasty patient return to sports.  :) Not many people who recieve this operation are sporty.  I had one done in the late fall last year along with 2 other procedures, But I have yet to build the confidence to do heavier impact sports. 

gymrat

Offline mona

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
Recurent Patella Instability - arthroscopic trochleoplasty
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2014, 08:20:59 PM »
I had an arthroscopic trochleoplasy with lateral release and MPFL  done by dr Lars Blond on 4th of September 2013.
I previously had a history of 23 years of patella instability (I am now 34 years). Almost every week my left patella was jumping out of its place in the last 4-5 years. Additionally I had a habitual luxation, meaning that every step I was taking my patella was slightly dislocating.
I searched a lot on internet and with local doctors and finally decided to take the surgery with doctor Blond. It was the best decision I made. The quality of my life and the satisfactions I have are great.
Everything progressed very well after surgery, I started rehab intensely in the first 2 months mostly by myself   but I became lazy as I could see I am walking better and better and because I have to spend a lot of time at my office job…For me it's like I almost forgot I had this problem. It feels like it happened in another life :)
Doctor Blond and his team are true professionals but I have also appreciated their human value, the confidence they gave me. Although I was for a surgery in Copenhagen, I had a very good state of spirit and almost felt like in holidays and this is due to his team.(and a little bit due to anaestetichs and pain killers :))
If you have punctual questions about surgery and recovery I gladly answer you but the best person to talk to is Lars Blond.
http://www.larsblond.com/#Arthroscopic Trochleoplasty English

Offline kchan808

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2014, 10:43:21 AM »
Hi Mona I would like to know a bit more about this procedure that you went through with Lars Blond. Could you please email me at [email protected] it would mean a lot to me as I am getting 2-3 opinions at the moment. Thank you

Offline kchan808

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2014, 10:06:46 AM »
If anyone has had the trochleoplasty done with Lars Blond could you please chime in on your experience. Thanks
« Last Edit: May 16, 2014, 10:08:42 AM by kchan808 »