Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: APOS: Has anyone tried it?  (Read 3561 times)

Offline Redwing

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 2
APOS: Has anyone tried it?
« on: July 10, 2010, 09:15:35 AM »
Apparently APOS is a treatment programme involving special shoes to improve walking to take the pressure away from the area of your body, knees, hips or back, that is causing you problems.  It sounds good, maybe too good to be true.  Has anyone tried it and how did you find it?  Did it help?  They carefully don't say the cost so I guess it's expensive.  See their website, this is NOT an ad for them.  I found the link on one of  Google the ads on Kneegeeks.

http://www.apostreatment.co.uk/treatment/
2001: first referral to OS for osteoarthritis in knees after about 5 years of OA pain.  Told I was too young for knee replacement.
July 2009 Bilateral arthroscopy
Jan 2010 TKR-right knee

Offline jg5118

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 4
Re: APOS: Has anyone tried it?
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2010, 09:47:48 AM »
I tried it,  but confess that as I gave up very quickly...

The shoes are great - but for the first month to six weeks, you only wear them inside the house and as I live in a small flat, the chances of me being on my feet for more than two minutes is unusual - they did suggest I could wear them at the office, but I spend most of my day sat at my desk and when not, I'm usually rushing around.

You start off wearing the shoes indoors for 10 minutes every day for the first week and increase by 10 minutes per week for the next six weeks before your follow up appointment. 

Cost - well, BUPA were doing a pilot to see if they worked and so they didn't cost, but if they had, the BUPA bill was a couple of Łk. 

They do appear to be a great system - they guys who fitted them were very, very knowledgeable and thorough.  I spent about 2 hours being assessed and fitted.  These were the first people too that noticed that one of my major problems is that I'm slightly hypermobile and overextend on most of my joints which causes my wear and tear. 

I guess I could try putting mine back on again and see if they work, but to be honest, since it's the hypermobility that's causing the problem, and not a gait problem I'm not sure.

If you can't afford the couple of Łk, have you looked at getting orthotics - at least they are a partial solution

Judith 

Offline Redwing

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2010, 10:12:10 AM »
Thanks Judith. It sounds good but a shame it's so expensive.  I might look into it though.

Anyone else?
2001: first referral to OS for osteoarthritis in knees after about 5 years of OA pain.  Told I was too young for knee replacement.
July 2009 Bilateral arthroscopy
Jan 2010 TKR-right knee

Offline eladd

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2011, 04:22:38 PM »
Hi everyone,

I am 57 and have suffered from chronic knee pain for over 5 years and tried lots of things including painkillers and steroid injections. About 3 months ago a consultant recommended I try AposTherapy. The results were outstanding. I felt a significant reduction in pain already after 2 weeks and I am able again to climb stairs painlessly and walk every morning in the park for an hour with no problem. Finally a therapy for knee pain that works with no side effects! The beauty of it is that it only takes about an hour a day and fits so easily into your daily routine. It's really brillant

Alan

Offline Stasha83

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2011, 01:58:33 PM »
After battling with my knee for a year and exhuasting all other options my OS has now suggested that I try APOS. Any thoughts or experiences? It almost sounds too good to be true to me?
June 2010 - R knee TPF & Hoffa removal
Dec 2010 - R knee- Arthrofibrosis
Dec 2010 - L knee Myxoid degeneration of meniscus
Jan 2011 - R Knee 11 steroid injections & Synvisc1
Feb 11 - MUA & LOA
June 11- Steroid inj, EMG & nerve tests
Aug 11 - MUA & LOA
Feb 12 - R Knee denervation

Offline silversurfer2

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2012, 05:58:26 PM »
Hi,
I am new to Kneegeeks, but have suffered with OA in feet, knees and hands for about 8 years, (Now 82 yrs young!!!)
Kept the pain down with Co-prox, now not available, which was effective coupled with Diclofenac tabs and Gell. Last Christmas got terrible left knee pain about 10 mins after getting into bed. Have slept in a recliner chair until 4 weeks ago.

Visit to surgeons, one stated I needed a replacement to get rid of the pain, second surgeon was not so definite. (With the same MRI Results)

However my GP then refered me to the local muscular center having prescribed Morphine to help me sleep and BUPA sent me to Apostherapy in London.

The results of this are, at the muscular center I had three sessions of accupuncture and the night pain went completely so I can now sleep in bed.

The visit to Apostherapy was a -positive experience, they are very busy and clients I spoke to sang their praises regarding pain reduction
and my assessment was very detailed and thorough.  The final conclusion was that I did not need the system at the moment and was given a lot of advice regarding the methodology of my treatment to date and they confirmed that the results indicated that my night pain was muscular

My experience of Apostherapy is very positive, there is no hard sell and they appear not to push the system if the results indicate that it would not be suitable and as the initial assesssment is free of charge I think there is no reason not to try them if you are so inclined.

I t6hink I will carry on with rest, medication for another 12 months as my general pain does not appear as high as other members of this forum.

support