Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: ACLr Musketeer - Snowy's reconstruction, 9.7.10  (Read 148797 times)

Offline Snowy

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 93
Re: ACLr Musketeer - Snowy's reconstruction, 9.7.10
« Reply #915 on: June 01, 2011, 06:59:14 AM »
I remember a while ago wondering if I'd ever reach a point where I could post on my thread and say that I thought I was done with recovery. I've come to the realization that that will never happen; my knee will never be quite the same as it was before surgery, and I'll never plan a week's workouts without thinking about what it needs and maintaining the mix of strengthening exercises and functional sports that seem to keep it happy. I still need to get the left quad back to the same size as the right; it's in really good shape, but so much of my exercise is functional and bilateral now that my right quad is building bulk just as fast, which means the left one isn't catching up. There's still a slight muscle lag on that side, although I barely notice it unless I'm skiing moguls. I can get to full flex, but the last five degrees still takes work. It doesn't feel quite the same as the good side, and I'm guessing it never will. These are all small things, however. There's also one big test remaining for the new knee, which is the Grouse Grind. Opening is way delayed this year because of the huge snowpack, so I'm not sure when I'll get to try that out.

Having said all of that, from Saturday to Monday this week - three days, including one work day - I swam 6km, cycled 100km, and skied 11,000 vertical metres. I think it's safe to say that the knee is once again fit for purpose and able to cope with the demands of a normal life. In fact, it's stronger (though a bit slower and stiffer) than it was before the injury and surgery.

I don't think I'll ever be completely done with the aftermath of that fateful jump in the terrain park, and I'm quite certain this won't be the last knee injury I sustain in my life. What I can say at this point is that the outcome of my surgery has been a success, and I'm looking forward to the summer.
Mar 11: R Biceps femoris tear (skiing)
Jul 10: ACLr (hamstring autograft)
Mar 10: L ACL rupture (skiing)
Feb 06: L partial ACL tear (kickboxing)
Dec 03: R bone edema (motorbike)
Jan 01: R patellar chip (motorbike)
May 93: R ACL sprain (hockey)
Ongoing: bilateral PFS and OA

Offline Clarkey

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 73
  • Neil TheElephant knee packed up carrying his trunk
« Reply #916 on: June 02, 2011, 05:18:24 PM »
Hi Snowy,

Once they have opened up our knees they will never be 100% again and it great to have KG for support and advise. You are doing really well since your surgery and also would like to get my right quad the same size as my left quad and vice versa for you. You really enjoy doing physical activities and like to test your limits with your new knee. I now think that surgery on my right knee was not needed after all and IMS with Dr Brown would have fixed my knee problem. I will now post about it on my thread!

Nick :) {2011} :)
RK: PFPS, Arthrofibrosis, Tendinopathy, Five cortisone injections
16/01/18 Anterior interval release, distal patella excision, lateral meniscal repair
18/07/14 Anterior interval release  
16/11/09 Medial plica excision, fat pad trimming

Offline seerobinbike

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #917 on: June 02, 2011, 08:24:37 PM »
Snowy,

I love this post and wish that all of them could end as happily as yours!  Sounds like you are doing excellent and that you are beginning to accept some limitations.  You will still be supergal to all of us.  As I've said before, you worked your butt off to get to where you are today and you've reaped the rewards by doing so.  I couldn't be happier for you.  Now, be careful 8)

Robin
Jan. 12: PKR.
June 10:  Meniscus surgery.
Most of '09:  PT to help constant knee pain.

Offline tez27

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #918 on: June 03, 2011, 03:25:57 AM »
Snowy I agree with Robin you have indeed worked your butt off to get back to doing the things you love, and the whole thing about a knee with an ACL graft is right even my OS said that last week at my appointment, he said any knee that had been through the trauma of the initial accident and then the surgery to reconstruct would never be exactly the same as before, but by keeping it strong it should do pretty much what you ask of it.
I'm also pretty sure you will do great on the Grouse Grind I dont think there is anything you would allow your knee to stop you doing.
Take care Tez
L K injured 25th June 2008
scope Jan 5th 10
diagnosis ACL rupture
fiberous band excised from acl
ACLr July 19th 2010  scope on 24th Sept 2011
ACL has failed incorrect tunnel placement
23rd July 2012 1st stage of a 2 stage ACL revision
10th May 2013 2nd stage ACL revision

Offline Snowy

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #919 on: June 04, 2011, 04:40:18 AM »
And of course I typed my cheery closure post and then went straight into a really bad knee week where Frank has felt grouchy, stiff and sore... ;)

Thanks, guys. :) You are all the silver lining to this whole experience. I think the other really valuable thing I got from it is that it made me take a long, hard look at my priorities, and make some decisions that will prove to be fairly important in the long term.

Robin - I'm trying to think of it as differences rather than limitations. If I can do everything I want to do, then I can't really say that I'm limited or restricted; however, it is true (and I think always will be) that the knee does not feel the same as it did before the injury. The one think that I think truly is a limitation is actually something I'm just fine with; the absolute worst thing that I can do for the knee is to sit or stand still for long periods of time. That's when it seizes up and hurts like crazy. I still need to remember not to do that (I spent three hours in my chair without moving much while I was working on a presentation this afternoon and the aftermath was ugly) but if that's the only thing I really can't do, I got off lightly. ;)

Offline Clarkey

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #920 on: June 04, 2011, 10:50:22 AM »
Hi Snowy,

If you did not tear your ACL you would never have joined KG and met so many lovely people online and in person and said you may come over to the UK next year and hope you do as it would be nice to meet a fellow kneegeek.

As I mentioned on my thread not happy that I had my knee scoped as I feel it was not necessary and wish I saw Dr Brown 1st and had IMS sessions as the main reason for having my right knee scoped was to be able to run again and not so much for the catching on the lateral side. I had really big quads on my right knee before the scope and now smaller in size and hard to get it bigger again.

Like my knee it an overuse problem with Frank and should settle down again. I jogged about 2 miles yesterday on a hard and soft surface and cannot avoid hard surfaces and no jogger I see runs on the grass verges. It is like saying to a tennis player you can play on a grass court but not on a clay court as it bad for the knees! My knee feels fine doing only 2 miles and will do the same route 3 times a week.

What are your plans this weekend, the skiing season must be over by now so can cycle instead.

16/01/18 Anterior interval release, distal patella excision, lateral meniscal repair

Offline Snowy

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #921 on: August 08, 2011, 07:52:53 AM »
I really did think of the last detailed post I made here as my "closure" post on the surgery, but it turns out that my comment about never really being done was more accurate than I realised. For quite a while there, it felt like things weren't changing much. I figured that after three months where there was really no substantial difference in the way my knee felt in spite of the fact that I was working on it daily, that was probably it - as good as it was going to get. Turns out I was wrong.

Since my last post, the Grouse Grind opened and we nailed it in an hour the first time we tried it, with a current season's best of 49 minutes (just 4 minutes off our best time ever) on the first anniversary of my surgery. On July 16th, I rode in the Kelowna GranFondo - a bike marathon of 115 hilly kilometres around Okanagan Lake. Sometime right around then, the knee underwent another really big change. I'm not sure whether it was the extra demands being placed on it by such strenuous activity or simply the passage of time since the surgery, but for close to a month now the knee has felt the way I never thought it would feel again: normal.

I no longer think about the knee when I'm making choices. Last weekend we did the Lions hike, which is so steep in places that you're not even really hiking but hauling yourself up over boulders and tree roots. I know from the Grind that my uphill capacity is pretty good, but the fact that the knee survived the downhill - and perhaps more importantly, that I didn't worry about its capacity to cope with the downhill - was pretty significant. I also fell several times on the crusty snowpack at the top, including two slide-and-tumble falls directly on the bad knee. I dusted myself off, stood up, and didn't worry about it at all. I've been transferred to a different job for a couple of months, and the building where I work now has a non-negotiable set of steep stairs to the washrooms and break room in the basement. It's not very long since that would have been a pretty big concern, but now I scamper up and down multiple times a day without even really thinking about it.

When I made my last post, I thought I'd reached a point where the knee was as good as it was going to get and I was happy enough with the place that it was in. Now I feel a bit differently. I am pretty certain that I've lost those few degrees of flex for good, but the leg strength and the way the knee feels keep improving. I'm still a bit shocked by how long it's taken - really, a full year - but I do now believe that a normal knee is a realistic target. It still has its bad days, but they're fewer and further between and no worse than the bad days that the "good" knee also has.

That said, I know that summer is the easy season for my knee. The real test - the very last one - will be next ski season, when I'll be able to hit the slopes without restrictions. It's true that it won't ever be over, and I won't restrict my activities to the point where I'm not at risk of another injury in the future, but right now I'm so happy with the place that my knee is in. Thanks, Dr. Lu. :)

Offline tez27

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #922 on: August 08, 2011, 06:23:23 PM »
Snowy I am so pleased your knee is feeling so strong and back to normal I think its so important for people who are going through ACL surgery to be able to read about the success stories and not just all the problem stories, and even though I am facing another scope to sort out whatever is going on with my knee I am still convinced that my ACLr was a success as I no longer have any instability, so thanks for all the help and information you have shared through your knee problems, you have helped me so much and I'm sure you have helped others just as much.
I have told you before your a star and you deserve all the good things going on in your life now.
Take care and thanks Tez
L K injured 25th June 2008
scope Jan 5th 10
diagnosis ACL rupture
fiberous band excised from acl
ACLr July 19th 2010  scope on 24th Sept 2011
ACL has failed incorrect tunnel placement
23rd July 2012 1st stage of a 2 stage ACL revision
10th May 2013 2nd stage ACL revision

Offline Clarkey

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #923 on: August 09, 2011, 05:12:21 PM »
Hi Snowy,

Nice that you have updated your thread and like myself have had a successful outcome after having had a knee problem. Just shows that there is light at the end of the tunnel for some knee problems and can get back to being physically active again. You are like myself like to keep active and great that the knee is holding up well.

Tez, sorry you still having problems and need another scope, really hope this time your knee is finally sorted out like Kay's and my knee!

Offline Snowy

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #924 on: August 20, 2012, 06:18:24 AM »
I didn't think I'd be posting here again, but given that I know the post-op diaries are a source of information for the folk who are coming in with recent knee injuries, and also that I know forums like this tend to be weighted toward the problems (after all, once your knee is better you generally don't think about posting on the internet about it), I think a two-year update is in order.

My left knee couldn't be doing better. This past winter it held up through the best ski season of my life. On my physiotherapist's recommendation I ditched the brace a couple of months in; without it my leg felt oddly naked and I was extremely nervous for an hour or two, then realized that I actually felt more balanced and was turning better without it. That evening I hit a jump for the first time since the day I tore my ACL in March 2010. I started skiing in the backcountry, and the (now braceless) knee held up to skinning 5,000+ feet of steep uphill; extremely variable snow conditions including everything from deep powder to a rotten spring snowpack in dense forest; and downhill descents that included several thousand feet on a steep glacier on the side of an active volcano. A big moment for me was going back to the Whistler terrain park, and hitting the jump where I blew my knee for the first time since the accident...and then hitting it again and again and again. Over the summer, I participated in the 5k Warrior Dash (a military-style running race that included multiple obstacles and jumps) and hiked 3,500 feet up and down a steep trail of loose rock carrying a 60-pound pack.

All of which is a long way of saying that the knee can do everything it ever did, and more. In fact it's held up to some of these activities better than its so-called "good" counterpart, especially downhill hiking - I've had a lot of twinges from the PFS in the right knee when going down steep, rocky trails, but the left knee never objects. Which is not to say that it's exactly the same as it was before, because it isn't. However the only things where I ever notice an issue - crawling on my knees or sitting back on them - aren't things I have any need to do, and don't remotely hinder my activities. I also have a big numb patch on the side of the calf, but I don't notice that unless I'm immersed in water or wearing skin-tight pants and even then it's just an observation, not a problem. Overall, I would say that my left knee is actually more capable now than it was before the injury and surgery. The rigours of rehab and spending time focused on that knee have given it a strength that it didn't have previously.

When I updated a year ago, I still felt like there were tests ahead for my knee. There will always be tests, but now they're general tests and not just for the knees. I'm confident that the left knee can handle anything I throw at it, including things that I wouldn't have tried before all this happened.  Do I wish I hadn't blown my left ACL? Absolutely. The injury and surgery were both manageable things, but missing most of the best ski season in living memory during my recovery was far worse than the physical pain. Do I regret the lessons I've learned because it happened? Absolutely not. I think I'm probably both stronger and more measured as a result of having lived through this particular experience, and I know for sure that I will never take my physical fitness and capability for granted again. Every time I set out on a bike, or load my skis into the car, or plan a hike, I'm grateful that I have the knees to support these activities. Don't ever take 'em for granted - it only takes a fraction of a second for things to change more than you can imagine. But I guess if there's one thing I'd share from my experience, it's that it is possible to get back there. Once you find yourself on the ACLr journey there's no question that you're on a long road, but it's worth sticking it out to the end.

Offline Clarkey

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #925 on: August 20, 2012, 02:10:13 PM »
Hi Snowy,

It is great to see that your recovery has gone so well for you and will bring hope to fellow KneeGeeks that have just started their long journey to recovery after having ACL reconstruction surgery and does not mean that you never be able to take part in physical activities again.

Good luck in the future when you go out skiing and hope your knees hold up to all the skiing you are doing. It is normal to get a few aches and pains at times after having surgery on the knee and will never be 100% again.

I have taken up competitive running and hope to do my 1st half marathon in October. 4 years ago I was unable to run and had pain and discomfort in my right knee and since my surgery I able to run again.

[email protected]

Offline Bigman78

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #926 on: November 27, 2012, 06:51:43 AM »
Well done Snowy and terrific summary in your last post which I really enjoyed reading!

Your a true inspiration and good on for continuing to post and help other people in a similar situation.

All the best for the future!
Visit my blog: http://aclrehab.blogspot.com/

Oct 11th 2010: 2nd Op to clean out staph infection
Oct 1st 2010: ACLr (hamstring autograft)
Aug 26th 2010: R knee ACL rupture (soccer)

Offline Snowy

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #927 on: December 05, 2012, 10:51:14 PM »
Thanks, Bigman - and the same to you!

Offline Snowy

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #928 on: August 15, 2014, 07:49:53 AM »
I'll keep it brief, but here's a four-year update (has it really been that long?)

Knee is awesome. No issues, no complaints, withstands ridiculous amounts of abuse. Notable achievements this year include a successful summit and ski descent of Mount Baker (11,000ft), Whistler Tough Mudder, and a new addiction to freeride mountain biking. My skiing has now relocated almost entirely to the backcountry which means that a typical day includes around 5,000 feet of fully loaded climbing as well as the descents.

When I'm engaged in an activity, I never think about the fact that I once had a "bad" knee. In fact I favour the other knee, which these days is far more grouchy than its operated counterpart.

It was worth it.

Offline Clarkey

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #929 on: August 15, 2014, 04:12:09 PM »
Hi Snowy,

It makes a nice change to read a positive post op dairy, it's fantastic to read the progress you have made 4 years post op proving you can overcome your knee problems. Carry on enjoying skiing and hope to follow in your footsteps.

I am only 4 weeks post op today and hope to return back to long distance running that I have been competitive at since primary school. Two knee ops does not faze me one bit to pack in long distance running. It has done the total opposite making me more determined to one day compete in a full marathon at a competative time.

Good luck with your continuing progress.

[email protected]

support