Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: ACLr Musketeer - Snowy's reconstruction, 9.7.10  (Read 152239 times)

Offline Lottiefox

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 16
Re: ACLr Musketeer - Snowy's reconstruction, 9.7.10
« Reply #360 on: August 31, 2010, 12:04:22 PM »
Snowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwyyyyyy....

Can I come and live in the new house please?!!! PLEASE?!!!!!! Wow!!! What a tough decision. I've emailed you this morning but have been delighted with Frank's progress in your diary. I know what you mean about the knees and hormones, mine are also prone to fluctuations throughout the month, very weird!

Hope things keep on improving and Frank stays loose and non sticky - I think he's turned the corner (ssshush whisper don't tell him I said that  ;) ;D)

Hugs

xxxxxxx
Bilateral patella OA since 2009, no surgeries.
Euflexxa working well x3 to current
Right forefoot CRPS post fusion surgery 2011
Refusing to let the ailing parts stop me....

Offline kris_83

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 0
  • the hottest thing on 1.5 legs
« Reply #361 on: August 31, 2010, 12:11:23 PM »
I read the "description" on the realtor's site and swooned! "Do you have a dream of a place in the country with a woodstove, organic gardens, privacy to be naked outside, and rooms and space for all the creative projects you would love to do, and access to the ocean to get away from it all?" YESYESYES!!!! I would like to move in also  :) The stairs look a bit sketchy but there is no time like the present- sure doesn't hurt to investigate it now. And why wait 10 yrs for something so wonderful?

Sounds like you've been busy, but as long as busy Frank stays happy Frank that's all that matters. Wishing you a non-sticky and non-stiff day!
12/09 dx- patellar subluxation (not!)
1/10 mri- neg; PT rx failed
4/10 more PT
5/10 dx patellar hypertension
6/7/10 chrondroplasty, patellar decompression, synovectomy and plica excision
5/6/11 dx RA, sjogren's

Offline ouch09

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #362 on: August 31, 2010, 11:44:08 PM »
Well, what can I say. I've run out of superlatives (I'll try and get some more tomorrow from the supermarket  ;D) - 25k bike ride, on top of the daily 3k swim and the gym. I just have to hang my head in shame ...   :-[ ;D

I thought Kris was kidding about the description, but that was the verbatim text on the advert. I've actually been on holiday to a place like that and I understand completely the attraction. The difficulty with those locations as you said is the limited work options, which is why I'm still in a city.

Hope Frank is being less stiff today  ;)
ACL rupture playing football May 2009
ACL hamstring autograft reconstruction 24-6-10

Offline Snowy

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 93
« Reply #363 on: September 01, 2010, 04:43:54 AM »
Isn't it a wonderful looking place? At this point I think it's unlikely that we'll buy it - tempting though it is, we also need to be practical about this and we definitely wouldn't be able to retain our current earning capacity if we moved north, and I'd hate to have our dream move turn into a stressful financial nightmare. We may still have a change of heart, but realistically I think we need to spend another few years getting ourselves into a position where we can make that kind of move and be comfortable and secure. I think this has motivated us to make it a five year plan rather than a ten year plan, however.

Ah, it's nice to dream, though...

Day 53

I missed my swim today for the first time in 42 days.  >:( We had a busy day today and I only had a short window to fit it in, and ended up losing that to a problem involving my road trip friend and the truck. We were able to get things sorted out but I didn't have time to make it to the pool.

Given that it also rained like crazy all day today I didn't take the bike out (slick roads, bad visibility and fragile ACL; not a good combination); instead I stuck it on the indoor trainer, cranked the resistance to max, and pedaled furiously for an hour while watching ski movies. Frank went a bit stiff afterwards, but settled down with some icing. I so want to be able to go out on the road and ride like that for whole days again. At the moment the knee starts to get achy at around the hour mark whether I'm on the road or on the trainer.

I did manage to flex the knee to 135 degrees today. The range of movement from 0-110 is now completely comfortable; 110 to 120 is a little tricky; 120 - 130 requires active pressuring; and 130 to 135 hurts like a son of a bitch. I guess it is getting there, but oh so painfully slowly. At this rate I may be able to do a heel to butt touch in time for the 2011/12 ski season.

I also made a very important preparation for my return to work: I bought a pair of flat-heeled work shoes (the first I've ever owned.) Much though I don't want to, I have to face up to the fact that none of my current work shoes are going to share my immediate future. I hope I can wear them again one day...
« Last Edit: September 01, 2010, 04:47:23 AM by Snowy »
Mar 11: R Biceps femoris tear (skiing)
Jul 10: ACLr (hamstring autograft)
Mar 10: L ACL rupture (skiing)
Feb 06: L partial ACL tear (kickboxing)
Dec 03: R bone edema (motorbike)
Jan 01: R patellar chip (motorbike)
May 93: R ACL sprain (hockey)
Ongoing: bilateral PFS and OA

Offline kris_83

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #364 on: September 01, 2010, 10:24:40 AM »
aww... flat shoes! Definitely feel your pain on that one. While I have made progress in this arena, there is a closet (and two shoe racks) full of stillettos that I am certainly in no shape for yet. A side effect of the knee drama has been a lot of shocked people who didn't know how short I really am  ;)

Sorry you missed your swim but I'm sure you'll make it up. No sense biking in the rain and hurting yourself either! 135 degrees is great, even if it hurts... and heel-to-butt is flippin' overrated! (I did it once by accident, ok I tripped really... and don't recommend to any geek, ever.)

hope you and Frank have a great day.
4/10 more PT
5/6/11 dx RA, sjogren's

Offline tez27

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #365 on: September 01, 2010, 10:41:36 AM »
Snowy I also feel you pain with the whole flat shoe thing with me at 5ft2 my heels were a big part of my life but the health of our knee's is more important than the way we look [i think if i keep telling myself this i will convince myself] In fact the physio has said when I get back to work I should really consider wearing trainers as the cushioning that they have could help with the pain and stiffness while standin :P so any ideas of what to wear that looks smart enought for the salon but also goes with trainers.
The house looks amazing but I supose you have to be practical especially where work comes in to the equasion, but it is a fantastic house ;D
I dont know the numbers or degrees of flex  have but Paul tried to get as much bend in the knee as would happen and its still no where near that of the good knee which he has put down to the fluid I still have.
Wise woman doing without the bike ride when the weather is so wet that would be all you need as you perpare to get back to work is to have another accident only this time by coming off your bike in the rain.
Are you getting excited about heading back to work? I hope so!! it is just another step in getting back to normal.
Take care Tez   
L K injured 25th June 2008
scope Jan 5th 10
diagnosis ACL rupture
fiberous band excised from acl
ACLr July 19th 2010  scope on 24th Sept 2011
ACL has failed incorrect tunnel placement
23rd July 2012 1st stage of a 2 stage ACL revision
10th May 2013 2nd stage ACL revision

Offline impishgrin

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #366 on: September 01, 2010, 11:11:48 AM »
Hey snowy, well I finally caught up with your diary. I'm glad to see you've made some good progress, that sticking sensation sounds familiar and I'm glad you managed to get rid of it :) Good to hear you've been able to get the flex up a little more as well.

I'll post more later but for the time being, answer me this. At about this stage (week and a half or so)what exercises and how many sets/reps per day were you doing? I'm not really sure what I should be doing and I'm seeing some serious wastage in my left quad.

Offline kefta

• Regular Poster
« Reply #367 on: September 01, 2010, 02:59:48 PM »
Snowy, so pleased to read that you've had a whole bunch of days in a row with this sustained improvement in the knee .....  Dare I say that you've made it over the hump at this point - will surely be some off days here and there, but must be such a psychological boost to be able to see the light at the end of the tunnel (though it sure is a long tunnel !!)

Have to say, seems to be something about the 6-8 week mark ... I'm definitely noticing a difference in how my knee feels these last few days (7 week mark for me today) - the constant stiffness seems to be abating (definitely still has its moments, but it's not a 24 hour thing at this point), the walking is getting better and more secure (I know you've been up and about walking well for weeks now, but for me, only just noticing a real normal stride in the last couple of days), and I'm finding that just day-to-day tasks (like putting socks on, etc ...) are becoming much less awkward.

When do you go back to work ?? 
9/00 - RK injury (basketball - partial ACL tear, torn MCL, torn medial meniscus, bone bruise)
6/01 - Menisectomy
5/10 - RK injury (basketball - complete ACL tear)
7/10 - ACL Reconstruction (Bone-Patellar-Bone Allograft)

Offline Lottiefox

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 16
« Reply #368 on: September 01, 2010, 06:15:30 PM »
Wooohooo, great news on the continuing progress and I think that ROM is coming along, as you say its a case of slow and steady wins the race... 8)  Sensible call on the no biking on greasy roads - eeeeek. I had to laugh at the knee grumbling after an hour at max resistance - I haven't had ACLr and mine would grumble after about 10 minutes at max resistance!!!

Tez - a quick though on shoes for work, have you checked out Merrells? I am a flat shoe girl, used to manage a few heels but combined knees and onion now renders me flat or a very slight wedge (I am 5 foot 8 though so I am lucky!)...I love Merrells, funky and also got good insoles and you could probably combine them with some trousers that are smart casual for work, not sure what type of thing you need to wear but they do lots of different styles and colours. they'd definitely help support the feet while the knee keeps healing.  ;D  You could always get some MBTs and rock your way around the salon.....

Hugs to all xxx

Lottie
Bilateral patella OA since 2009, no surgeries.
Euflexxa working well x3 to current
Right forefoot CRPS post fusion surgery 2011
Refusing to let the ailing parts stop me....

Offline Snowy

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #369 on: September 02, 2010, 03:33:50 AM »
I go back to work on Tuesday, September 7th - so just a few days away now. I'm very much looking forward to it (I've missed my coworkers a lot, and am excited to get moving on some of our fall projects) but am also a bit concerned about how to manage Frankenknee's rather extensive list of daily requirements. I do know I'll have lots of support, so hopefully it will all be fine. Monday is a stat holiday - Labour Day - which means I'll go back to a four-day week next week followed by a four-day week the week after thanks to my regular compressed day, which will help me ease back into things.

We're still torn on the whole issue of moving out to the woods. One one level I know that this isn't the right time, and consequently it would be buying a lot of stress that would make the experience less than perfect. On the other hand...well, you all saw the pictures. ;) We're going to take some time to think about it over the next week or so and see what conclusions we come to.

Tez, I'd also recommend checking out Skechers - they have some nice crossover shoes that look smartish, but have all the comfort of runners.

Day 54

Decided I needed to make up for the missed swim yesterday by putting Frank through his paces today.

Got up and did an exercise set with extra squats; cycled to the pool and went for an energetic 3k swim with no pull buoy (I think the pull buoy can join the crutches in the storage room now); cycled to the gym and did 300 inclined leg presses with 100lbs of weight for both legs and 40lbs for the bad leg, plus a bunch of ab work; cycled home; ate lunch and did an exercise set with more extra squats and extra weights; took the road bike out and cycled 30k in roughly an hour and a half, including a massive hill. Icing my knee ready for the last exercise set now.

The bike ride was my longest and best yet; in spite of the extra distance, Frank held up well and I can definitely feel some strength improvements compared to a week ago. I'm still oh-so-painfully slow (I used to do multiple wind sprint laps of the UBC hill for fun) but as long as nothing happens in the meantime, I think bike commuting next week is a go.

I'm not quite sure how to describe the mental point that I'm at right now. I'm immensely grateful for recent improvements, and more hopeful and optimistic as a result. I'm wary, because I know that this is the point everyone warns you about: you start to feel better, but the graft is still uber-fragile. (I'm being very careful not to do anything that my PT hasn't okayed, even machines in the gym that I'm sure would be fine.) I'm very sad that it's September now, and I'm missing the "ski season is just around the corner" excitement that normally comes with that. I'm still frustrated by the things that my knee won't do, although less so now that my cycling range is improving. I feel pretty good about where things are at since the improvements, but most of all I'm daunted by the amount of time still ahead of me in this rehab process.

Offline Snowy

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #370 on: September 03, 2010, 06:42:00 AM »
Day 55

Took it easy today to give Frank a break after yesterday's activities. Swim, usual exercises, and a 15k bike ride (plus the 6k ride to the pool and back.)

Knee was a little stiff today, but considering that yesterday was its hardest workout yet I'm pleased that it didn't feel any worse. I think I'm getting better at judging the difference between pushing into that zone of slight discomfort that helps set the bar a little higher overall, and pushing into enough discomfort to cause significant problems.

I feel in an odd space at the moment. There's still a lot the knee won't do, but I finally feel better enough to be pushing it quite a bit harder in some areas. At the same time I'm very conscious of the fact that the graft is still fragile, and pushing it is only good up to a point. This whole process is such a balancing act...

Offline kris_83

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #371 on: September 03, 2010, 11:16:04 AM »
Hi Snowy,

That workout balance is very tough and something I still struggle with today. I've never been a fitness guru by any stretch, but as someone who used to be in shape it's hard for me to change my whole approach to fitness. Pre knee, more was always better- worst case scenario was the "good sore" that comes from a major workout... and now that's no longer the case. Somehow I guess we'll just figure it out (I hope)  :)

Big plans for your last weekend before back to work? I can't believe it's here already... seems like just yesterday you were playing tour guide with your fam and now here you are back to the rat race!

hugs to you and frank
4/10 more PT
5/6/11 dx RA, sjogren's

Offline tez27

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #372 on: September 03, 2010, 12:22:07 PM »
Snowy your last weekend before your return to work how are you feeling now thats its nearly here?? I bet you didnt think whe this all started that you would be heading back to work on your bike, which shows you how well you've done, and even though you feel there are still some things your knee wont allow you to do just look at all the things it will let you do 8 weeks after an aclr, I think we all feel that frustration of wanting to do something but knowing its not something we should do to protect the graft, I think its a lesson in patience and restraint and for someone like you with your go get em attitude that must be so so hard.
thanks to you and Lottie for the shoe advice I shall have a wee look for some decent trainer like shoes :)
Take care amd make sure you enjoy your last few days of freedom before your return to work.
((((hugs)))) Tez   
L K injured 25th June 2008
scope Jan 5th 10
diagnosis ACL rupture
fiberous band excised from acl
ACLr July 19th 2010  scope on 24th Sept 2011
ACL has failed incorrect tunnel placement
23rd July 2012 1st stage of a 2 stage ACL revision
10th May 2013 2nd stage ACL revision

Offline Clarkey

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 75
  • Neil TheElephant knee packed up carrying his trunk
« Reply #373 on: September 03, 2010, 04:06:31 PM »
Hi Snowy,

Its good to give your knee a break if you been working it hard the day before and doing really well swimming and cycling. As you said its normal for the knee to feel stiff after all the physical activities you have been doing, best not to force the knee too much if it causes discomfort.

Can now have a relaxing weekend before going back to work again, that at least it gives you something to do and gets you out of the house.

Nick :) {2010} :)

RK: PFPS, Arthrofibrosis, Tendinopathy, Five cortisone injections
16/01/18 Anterior interval release, distal patella excision, lateral meniscal repair
18/07/14 Anterior interval release  
16/11/09 Medial plica excision, fat pad trimming

Offline BlueTopaz_ZA

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #374 on: September 03, 2010, 04:09:57 PM »
Hi Snowy

Hope you are at least finding some peace in this odd space you find yourself  :)
I guess going back to work, is perhaps a bit daunting as you are incredibly commited to your exercise and fitness. Are you a bit worried that (realistically) you wont have the time to keep at it?

Dont be too hard on yourself, you are doing phenomenally!

Have a great weekend, enjoy those last days of summer.

29.09.06 - Motorcycle accident - broken fibula, meniscus, ACL rupture, left leg
01.10.06 - surgery: ankle, screws & plate, meniscal debridement
29.01.07 - ACLr
All going well until ...
28.07.10 - bad landing on trampoline!
03.08.10 - MRI, ruptured L ACL & torn meniscus
19.08.10 - ACL revision

support