Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: ACLr Musketeer - Snowy's reconstruction, 9.7.10  (Read 151631 times)

Offline Lottiefox

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 16
Re: ACLr Musketeer - Snowy's reconstruction, 9.7.10
« Reply #900 on: March 23, 2011, 06:23:17 PM »
Snowy you could knit me a GIANT big soft woolly sock for the onion when it gets done!!!  :D 8)
Bilateral patella OA since 2009, no surgeries.
Euflexxa working well x3 to current
Right forefoot CRPS post fusion surgery 2011
Refusing to let the ailing parts stop me....

Offline Snowy

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 93
« Reply #901 on: March 23, 2011, 06:53:16 PM »
A friend of mine from Canada has ended up (by a very random chance) working in a London library where I worked about 10 years ago. She asked one of the longer-serving members of staff (who was actually my former boss) if he remembered me, and apparently he said "Kay? Into extreme sports, rode a motorbike, was injured a lot?" She said "That would be the one."

Lottie - my efforts at knitting have only ever produced scarves that grow gradually wider along their length. Could still make a cozy onion wrap, however. ;)

The LCL is feeling a bit better today. It's subsided from an excruciating pain when I pivot or pull down to a naggy, niggling ache. Hopefully that's a good sign. There's fresh snow all over the mountains, and I want to get back out there...
Mar 11: R Biceps femoris tear (skiing)
Jul 10: ACLr (hamstring autograft)
Mar 10: L ACL rupture (skiing)
Feb 06: L partial ACL tear (kickboxing)
Dec 03: R bone edema (motorbike)
Jan 01: R patellar chip (motorbike)
May 93: R ACL sprain (hockey)
Ongoing: bilateral PFS and OA

Offline Clarkey

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 75
  • Neil TheElephant knee packed up carrying his trunk
« Reply #902 on: March 25, 2011, 04:30:29 PM »
Hi Snowy,

Thanks for the info you have given on my thread and agree that a 7 week gap between sessions is far too long and look forward to what your physio has got to say about IMS not being done on a regular basis.

I thought I would give you a link to the new Library that is being built at the moment in Birmingham City Centre that will open in 2013. At the moment it is just a shell but can see the progress on the website link and look forward to using it when it opens.

http://www.birmingham.gov.uk/libraryofbirmingham

I am sure no one can forget you once they have met and worked with you. Did say you may visit the UK in 2012 so will not be able to see the new Library in Birmingham, which looks very modern.

Have a good weekend and know you would love to go to skiing but have to rest up your knee before you can head up to the slopes again.

Nick :) {2011} :)
RK: PFPS, Arthrofibrosis, Tendinopathy, Five cortisone injections
16/01/18 Anterior interval release, distal patella excision, lateral meniscal repair
18/07/14 Anterior interval release  
16/11/09 Medial plica excision, fat pad trimming

Offline Snowy

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #903 on: March 29, 2011, 04:05:57 AM »
Nick - I've updated your thread with the info from my PT. Seven weeks is definitely too far apart to see any cumulative benefit from the IMS. :(

So by Friday, I couldn't replicate any of the pain I was getting from the LCL on pivoting or downward movements. I assumed this meant the LCL was pretty much healed up, so on Saturday I went snowshoeing and on Sunday (*whispers guiltily*) I went skiing. It wasn't my greatest day on the slopes; it was icy, I wasn't skiing all that well, and by the time I'd driven myself back to Vancouver the leg was howling. This morning I could barely walk. I was convinced I'd torn the rest of the LCL, or at the very least put myself back to square one.

This evening I went to PT (with the new PT again - my guy was fully booked as he just came back from vacation) and after some thorough testing, we established that the LCL is actually healing well (it's a bit tender on prodding, but way better than last week) and in fact I've strained the tibialis anterior and peroneal muscles quite severely. The really funny thing? It's the snowshoeing, not the skiing, that was the culprit. It didn't even occur to me to cancel the snowshoeing trip, but it's the specific movement and weight of snowshoeing that can irritate that particular muscle group. The fact that I hadn't been snowshoeing in ages, the right knee had had a week of complete rest right before and I forgot my poles (thus taking a lot more pressure through the legs) all contributed. She thinks either the onset of the soreness was slightly delayed, or the skiing just tipped it over the edge.

So all is not lost - I'm booked in to see my regular PT on Thursday for one more session of needles and ultrasound, I have stretches and massage to do every night, and if all goes well I should be back on my feet in time to enjoy a few more days on snow before the season ends.  ;D

Offline kris_83

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 0
  • the hottest thing on 1.5 legs
« Reply #904 on: March 30, 2011, 10:32:53 AM »
Hey Danger!

Glad to hear that you're healing well. Of course in your case it would be the LESS extreme activity that causes problems... typical  :)
12/09 dx- patellar subluxation (not!)
1/10 mri- neg; PT rx failed
4/10 more PT
5/10 dx patellar hypertension
6/7/10 chrondroplasty, patellar decompression, synovectomy and plica excision
5/6/11 dx RA, sjogren's

Offline Clarkey

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #905 on: March 31, 2011, 05:34:27 PM »
Hi Snowy,

Thankyou so much for finding out about IMS from your PT and will shortly be posting on my thread after posting in yours 1st. I hope the knee problems you are having will soon go away and can go out skiing without feeling too much knee pain afterwards. I am also surprised that that the snowshoeing was casuing the knee pain and not skiing, the PT you saw sounds very good at her job. You know who else to see if your PT is fully booked on on Holidays. Can see you been in Canada for a while using vacation rather then Holiday as we say in the UK, but good to use the words used regular in Canada now you live there.

16/01/18 Anterior interval release, distal patella excision, lateral meniscal repair

Offline Snowy

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #906 on: April 01, 2011, 04:48:11 AM »
@Kris - yup, trust me! Still can't beat the time I broke two ribs hanging Christmas decorations for ridiculous injuries, though. ;)

@Nick - I'm glad that my regular guy is back (see details below) but it's nice to know that there's someone else at the practice I can trust if he isn't around. He's going back to the UK for a couple of weeks next month, so it'll be good to have backup (not that I'm planning on any more injuries...)

So, an update on the Frank and Lenin situation...

I saw my regular PT today and was once again blown away by his diagnostics. I saw the Dr. House moment when I mentioned how excruciating it had been pushing a shoe off the injured leg using my other foot - his eyes widened just a little bit and he immediately did a whole bunch more tests. The LCL basically feels 99% normal now - just a tiny bit of residual tenderness - but he dug is thumb in underneath it and a tiny bit behind, and I nearly jumped off the table. That's a tear of the biceps femoris where it inserts into the tibia, apparently. It was masked initially by the LCL damage and is also on its way to healing up, but it was really quite painful under direct pressure. Apparently that shoe removal pain is a very distinct flag for that particular injury.

Anyways, it's also healing well and I now have some specific stretches and strengthening work to do on that tendon. Frank is in better shape, too; the stiffness and general grouchiness is just a reaction to the altered gait from limping with the other leg, and the painful spot on the tibia where the brace rubbed is finally starting to improve.

The really important thing is that I should be fine to ski on the weekend. :)

Offline ouch09

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #907 on: April 05, 2011, 12:53:41 AM »
Now you're just boasting : first it was a hamstring tear, then an LCL, and now a tibialis anterior.

Just you wait. I can tear any muscle you can.

I wonder if there'll be a "competitive muscle tearing" event in the olympics next year ?  ;) ;D
ACL rupture playing football May 2009
ACL hamstring autograft reconstruction 24-6-10

Offline Snowy

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #908 on: April 05, 2011, 05:40:09 AM »
If so, I have to be a contender! Thankfully everything seems to be doing fine now. However, it's been quite the weekend...

I went up to Whistler on Saturday with two friends, K and R. It was a perfect day, with 10cm of fresh snow under a bluebird sky. And I reached the very last of my personal milestones: I finally got back on my big mountain skis. I fell in love with them all over again the second I made my first turn. It took a couple of hours before I snapped under the lure of the conditions and the skis. A short run through beautiful soft snow on the Horstman Glacier was enough to convince me to follow K and R up the bootpack to the Blackcomb Glacier, an open bowl of ungroomed snow so big you can't even imagine it until you've stood on the wind lip preparing to drop in. For the first turn - maybe even two - I tried to be cautious, then I just let everything fly and rocketed through powder pocket after powder pocket all the way to Glacier Road. By the time I got to the bottom that I couldn't even form a coherent sentence; all I could do was sort of yodel joyously at the sky. I know I'm not supposed to be skiing off piste this season; I know I shouldn't really have been there. But it was the best run I've had since I started skiing again, and made every single second of this feel worthwhile.

To get back from the glacier you have to take a 5km cat track that is one of the most boring pieces of slope on the mountain. It's flat, narrow, dull, and interminably long. I was ambling slowly along with my mind wandering when I caught an edge on a bump that I missed as I moved from light into shadow, and fell backwards onto my skis at the exact same angle that I fell when I tore the ACL a year ago. My knee gave a good twinge, then I hit the bank and stopped and just felt sick.

My rational mind knew perfectly well that the twinge was the knee being forced through that last 5 degrees of flexion that are still stiff. It knew that nothing felt bad, and as I skied out afterwards there was none of that weird unattached feeling in the lower leg that had characterized the remainder of the run after the ACL tear. My rational mind watched me scamper up the stairs at Glacier Creek, and reminded me that within half an hour of the original tear I could barely walk. Unfortunately I also realized that my irrational mind wasn't going to be able to listen to my rational mind until I'd heard from a doctor that everything was okay. So I downloaded and went straight to the clinic. By then it was completely obvious that the knee was fine, and I felt a little shamefaced while answering the doctor's questions about where it hurt. ("It doesn't. But it's my new ACL!") She xrayed me as per policy, then checked the knee and pronounced it stronger and more stable than most original ACLs. I was in and out in an hour, but just missed the last chair back up the mountain at 4pm.

Even though it was really a waste of the doctor's time and an hour's skiing, I think going to the clinic was the right decision. It's the first time I've fallen directly on the bad leg, and while a 5kph tumble on a cat track doesn't compare to dropping 5 feet out of the air at speed there was that similarity in the way that I fell that really freaked me out. I was way more unnerved by this than the huge crash the other week, because this directly involved the bad leg. There's no way I could have relaxed until I got it checked out, no matter how it felt.

So I headed back to Vancouver, and K and R stayed to ski on Sunday. Then on Sunday afternoon I got a call from K, who was in the gondola on her way down the mountain. She'd had a bad fall on Spanky's Ladder, and was in quite a lot of pain. A couple of hours later and it turned out she had a badly torn calf muscle, and a fractured pelvis. I feel terrible for her; that's an awful injury to have to deal with, both in terms of immobility and pain. R drove her home, and J and I are trying to make sure that she's got everything she needs for the next little while.

It's not a safe sport, this. And yet I think of moments like that run on the glacier and I can't imagine giving it up for anything in the world.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2011, 09:04:13 AM by Snowy »

Offline Clarkey

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #909 on: April 05, 2011, 05:34:16 PM »
Hi Snowy,

You have had a very busy weekend with your friends and pleased that the fall you had did not do any damage to your knee but must have panicked at the time just when things where starting to improve again after your last knee injury. It good that you went to the Clinic to get your knee checked out as it better to be safe the sorry and it also puts your mind at ease.

Sorry that your friend sustained an injury and are right about skiing being a risky sport but if it is something you enjoy doing you are willing to take risks. I know that once I can run again which I hope will happen one day it will be bad for the knees. I like go for a jog and may not have problems with my knee for some time once I get my right knee sorted out until I am a lot older.

Be careful when skiing which is easier said then done as we do not want to see you having another serious knee injury and have been lucky so far with you two accidents.

Offline Bigman78

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #910 on: April 29, 2011, 02:32:08 AM »
Hey snowy,

Haven't seen an update from you for a while. How's it all going and how's the LCL these days? Completely recovered?

Any recent adventures which you've enjoyed lately?

Hope you're well.
Visit my blog: http://aclrehab.blogspot.com/

Oct 11th 2010: 2nd Op to clean out staph infection
Oct 1st 2010: ACLr (hamstring autograft)
Aug 26th 2010: R knee ACL rupture (soccer)

Offline Snowy

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #911 on: April 29, 2011, 06:25:11 AM »
Hey Bigman! You're right - I've gotten a bit slack about keeping the diary updated. The good news is that this is because there hasn't been much to report on the knee front.

LCL healed up fine and pretty much in the expected timeframe, so although it cost me a couple of weeks it didn't put too much of a damper on the ski season. My PT actually felt that the LCL tear was very minor - just a few fibres - and most of the pain was from the biceps femoris tendon underneath. It all feels fine now, which is great.

I've had another three days out on the slopes since my last update. Two powder days and one beautiful spring day. I had one fall on each of the powder days, one not involving the bad leg at all (I felt the edge catch and yanked my legs out of the way, so I landed on my back and slid down the slope headfirst with my legs in the air) and one where I had my first binding release on the operated side. It was actually almost a relief to have a non-powder day last time; the deep snow is fun and amazing, but it's that much more risky when I'm still adjusting to being back on the slopes and working my way back to full strength. It's fair to say I've been lucky not to have any more serious consequences from the falls. The last day - a couple of weeks ago now - was a blast. My friend B and I skied as hard and fast as we could all day; it was a crazy amount of fun. I'm heading back up tomorrow with a very similar forecast - sunshine, a few clouds, and soft spring snow. Just gotta keep myself in check and try and avoid any further falls!

We spent the past week in Ucluelet for J's 40th birthday, which was amazing. We saw grey whales, sea otters, eagles, and took a day trip to Hot Springs Cove where we soaked in natural rock pools while a hot waterfall splashed down on us. Our hotel was on a beautiful rocky bay, so I got to take the knee rockhopping; it felt really good to be able to look at terrain like that and not worry about whether or not I should be walking on it yet.

So overall things are good. The knee still gets very stiff, especially when I've been sitting for too long or I miss my exercises (I discovered that the hard way while we were away.) However, it's definitely starting to feel like a more functional joint again, and the patellofemoral pain continues to decrease as it gets stronger. Looking forward to taking it for its first Grouse Grind as soon as the trail opens for the season. My quad is still about 1.5 cm smaller than the good side, but they're both growing now that I'm skiing again; I think I'll have to up the unilateral exercises in the gym to help the bad leg play catchup. Calves are pretty much the same now; there's less than .5cm difference. Strength in the two legs actually feels quite comparable, but I do notice a slight reaction lag on the bad side - especially while trying to ski moguls.

How are things with you? Hope all is progressing well and your recovery is on track.

Offline Clarkey

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #912 on: April 30, 2011, 11:34:36 AM »
Hi Snowy,

It a good thing when a member does not post on their threads regular as it means that the knee is no longer a problem as it use to be and really pleased you making such good progress. The skiing season must be coming to an end soon as I know Canada can have very warm summers and can maybe cycle instead with J who has reached the big 40, I am pleased you both had a good time together in Ucluelet.

Was not at all happy yesterday as I had to work all day from 6am till 2pm and missed most of Wills and Kates wedding. The golf course was really busy and would have been better of not working that day as most of the Nation did. My mum and sisters and some of my nephews and nieces watched TV all day and had a mini party that I missed out on.

Nick  :) {2011} :)

Offline Snowy

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #913 on: May 02, 2011, 06:21:03 AM »
Hey Nick,

Sorry to hear that you had to work Friday - that doesn't seem fair when everyone else had the day off.

I've been following your thread and I'm really excited to hear that the IMS is working and you're able to run further now. I think it's been quite slow because of the long time between appointments, but clearly it is having some benefits. I hope that if you continue with this treatment it will make a big difference to your overall activity levels.

We have so much snow here still that ski season has been extended to May 30th! I start bike racing again in July, so I'll need to figure out a way to work in both skiing and bike training in May. Not that I'm complaining.  :)

Offline Clarkey

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #914 on: May 03, 2011, 05:22:57 PM »
Hi Snowy,

I bet you are pleased that the skiing season has been extended and can then look forward cycling instead. I was not at all happy that I missed all of the Royal Wedding on friday as I had to be be at work all day and missed the chance of watching the wedding with my family, which would have been nice. I watched the replay on the BBC and recorded 6 hours of the day of the wedding and have so far watched over 3 hours out of the 6.

IMS is starting to take effect and can now jog without too much knee pain and hope to increase the speed with more IMS sessions with Dr Brown and then my knee will more and less be back to how it was before my fall in October 2007. I will try and have a jog with my mate tomorrow afternoon and hope I do not slow him down too much! I will update my progress on my thread on Thursday, things are looking good for me thanks to Dr Brown.

Nick  :) {2011} :)