Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: ACLr Musketeer - Snowy's reconstruction, 9.7.10  (Read 151628 times)

Offline kris_83

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 0
  • the hottest thing on 1.5 legs
Re: ACLr Musketeer - Snowy's reconstruction, 9.7.10
« Reply #885 on: March 21, 2011, 09:15:34 AM »
Ah, yes, the old "animal as doormat" trick. We have one of those at my place too!

Kay, I am so truly sorry to hear about your accident. I know this must have you a bit downtrodden. I would never think to spout platitudes about how much worse it could be, etc. so I will just say I am thinking of you, and I know you will bounce back from this (fast!)

Lottie, it must be too early in the morning on my little amount of sleep because I am confusing myself reading about the onions. Are you considering the standard onionectomy instead of a fusion for now? Seems like a solid plan to me, my dear friend in school had one done on each foot, in rapid succession (ballerina.) It wasn't a party per se, but she seemed to do quite well with it.

Just wanted to say hi, I have checked in on everyone... been kind of a lousy week for me, had a horrible flare up on Thurs. so I went back on the steroids again on Friday. The stress of the sudden death of a friend has not helped much either. Will update in Cosmic's when anything of note happens but I am really just plodding along as best I can over here  :) Later gators...
12/09 dx- patellar subluxation (not!)
1/10 mri- neg; PT rx failed
4/10 more PT
5/10 dx patellar hypertension
6/7/10 chrondroplasty, patellar decompression, synovectomy and plica excision
5/6/11 dx RA, sjogren's

Offline tez27

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #886 on: March 21, 2011, 11:55:19 AM »
Snowy so so sorry that this has happened when you were just getting back to full stregnth, I just wanted to send some sympathy your way and I hope it's not long till your back on form again, I dont know much about the LCL is it something that heals itself without any intervention or could it be something you may need fixed at some time? anyway please be carefull especially with those kittens running aroung all over the place.
(((((hugs))))) and take care Tez
L K injured 25th June 2008
scope Jan 5th 10
diagnosis ACL rupture
fiberous band excised from acl
ACLr July 19th 2010  scope on 24th Sept 2011
ACL has failed incorrect tunnel placement
23rd July 2012 1st stage of a 2 stage ACL revision
10th May 2013 2nd stage ACL revision

Offline impishgrin

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #887 on: March 21, 2011, 12:59:42 PM »
Ah snowy, "The First Big Spill" I suppose it will happen to all of us. As you say, while it's an utter bummer that it's taken you back a step and is fairly unpleasant, I can understand just how pleased you are that Frank held up so well. I know Lenin is angry for the time being, but hopefully you're on the mend, despite the Feline ambush.

One question for you, how do you foam roll your hamstring? I've been trying and trying but I can't seem to do it as effectively as any of my other muscles. I've watched videos on youtube and read a few articles but nothing seems to be helping :(

Offline Clarkey

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 75
  • Neil TheElephant knee packed up carrying his trunk
« Reply #888 on: March 21, 2011, 04:32:15 PM »
Hi Snowy,

Really sorry that your good knee is now painful and a problem after the incident you had while skiing. At least Frank held up well and hope your new knee injury is just a minor setback as I know how happy you where when you could ski again. The skiing season must be closing soon, so would have only had a couple of weeks left to ski or do you have snow all year round with the heights of the mountains!

I may have to have a break on the treadmill at the gym as the bottom of my knee and tibia are sore and tender which is annoying as I enjoy going on the treadmill. It was really painful on Saturday night when I went out and hope the pain eases this week.

Nick :) {2011} :)
RK: PFPS, Arthrofibrosis, Tendinopathy, Five cortisone injections
16/01/18 Anterior interval release, distal patella excision, lateral meniscal repair
18/07/14 Anterior interval release  
16/11/09 Medial plica excision, fat pad trimming

Offline ouch09

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #889 on: March 22, 2011, 12:30:51 AM »
Ouch ! Tearing your hamstring and now the LCL on the good (Trotsky) leg !  :( :o

Sorry to hear about the skiing accident.

On the positive side, you're way ahead of me in terms of returning to your sport.  :) As I'm sure you know, LCLs (whether of the Leninist or Trotskyist persuasion) do heal quite well without surgery.  ;)
ACL rupture playing football May 2009
ACL hamstring autograft reconstruction 24-6-10

Offline Bigman78

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #890 on: March 22, 2011, 01:36:12 AM »
Sorry to hear about the LCL tear Snowy! Hope the recovery goes well!

As Deepak has stated at least surgery will not be required on this occasion, just plenty of rest to allow the body to heal itself!

Chin up & take care :)
Visit my blog: http://aclrehab.blogspot.com/

Oct 11th 2010: 2nd Op to clean out staph infection
Oct 1st 2010: ACLr (hamstring autograft)
Aug 26th 2010: R knee ACL rupture (soccer)

Offline Snowy

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 93
« Reply #891 on: March 22, 2011, 06:16:58 AM »
I appreciate the sympathy very much, but I honestly don't have a leg to stand on (literally) when it comes to defending myself on this one. I was going WAY too fast, and if I hadn't been on camera I would almost certainly have spotted the skier who cut me off a fraction of a second sooner. At that speed 1/100th of a second would probably have been enough to complete the evasive manoeuvre without hitting P's tails. Like the snowshoeing tumble, I think this was a valuable lesson to me about focusing 100% on the skiing and nothing else.

Turns out my fabulous PT is sipping pina coladas in Mexico right now, but one of his staff saw me this afternoon. After ultrasound, friction massage and acupuncture (which I've never had before) the new bad leg felt a lot better. She was great - she spent about 20 minutes on the exam alone, and was quite encouraged by the fact that she really had to crank on the leg to produce discomfort. She thinks the tear is between grades 1 and 2, which is better than my doctor's assessment of a grade 2 tear. (He was actually much more concerned about the possibility of meniscus damage, and spent more time on those tests. He was also concerned about ACL damage as this often accompanies an LCL tear, but I explained that after going through it twice I know exactly what a tearing ACL feels like and I was 100% sure that I hadn't done that.)

She also gave Frank a checkup given that he did take some of the impact from the fall. Nothing but good news on that side: the graft is rock solid, and there's zero indication of any damage. It surprises me a lot that I wasn't way more freaked out about the possibility of an injury to the new ACL during the wipeout. I can't help but remember the snowshoeing fall, and how much that freaked me out even though nothing felt wrong afterwards. This time I felt much more able to trust the fact that Frank felt fine. At the same time, I knew the moment it happened that I'd done something to the LCL on the other side, even though I clung to the hope that I hadn't.

I don't really know how to feel right now. I'm bummed out about losing another two weeks (minimum) of the ski season. I'm frustrated at the new set of restrictions imposed by the LCL tear. I'm mad at myself becuase it was completely my own fault that this happened. I'm grateful that this one will heal by itself, and I'm not looking at months on the sideline again. I'm happy - really happy, actually - that I was able to crash that hard and not damage the new ACL. I'm relieved that the first wipeout finally happened, and I don't have that psychological weight hanging over my head.

Mostly I just want to be back out there as soon as I possibly can.
Mar 11: R Biceps femoris tear (skiing)
Jul 10: ACLr (hamstring autograft)
Mar 10: L ACL rupture (skiing)
Feb 06: L partial ACL tear (kickboxing)
Dec 03: R bone edema (motorbike)
Jan 01: R patellar chip (motorbike)
May 93: R ACL sprain (hockey)
Ongoing: bilateral PFS and OA

Offline tez27

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #892 on: March 22, 2011, 11:02:04 AM »
Snowy its so good to hear how your new ACL has reacted to what could have been a nasty accident, I was thinking that the fact you were skiing around on a torn ACL for a few years before you completed the tear last year, and in the back of your mind you were aware of this and now your knee must feel so much stronger than before, which in itself will give you more confidence while skiing and because of this maybe you were testing it to the full, just because it felt so much stronger, I dont know if I'm explaining this very well just wanted to say dont beat yourself up about what you should or should not have been doing on the slopes, you were having a brillient time after not being able to ski for so long and unfortunatly you had a fall, at least from what you have said the LCL is not too bad and will heal itself and before you know it you will be back skiing with 2 perfect knees ;D
Take care Tez

scope Jan 5th 10
diagnosis ACL rupture

Offline Lottiefox

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 16
« Reply #893 on: March 22, 2011, 11:29:29 AM »
One word.

KNITTING[/b][/size][/color][/glow]

:P ;D
Bilateral patella OA since 2009, no surgeries.
Euflexxa working well x3 to current
Right forefoot CRPS post fusion surgery 2011
Refusing to let the ailing parts stop me....

Offline Clarkey

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 75
  • Neil TheElephant knee packed up carrying his trunk
« Reply #894 on: March 22, 2011, 05:48:14 PM »
Hi Snowy,

Do not worry about it being your fault accidents do happen and I myself went on the treadmill yesterday at the gym when I should be resting the knee but enjoy using the treadmill too much and do not want to give into my knee unless it becomes so painful that I cannot use the treadmill.

Lets hope it just a minor set back and will be on the ski slopes again in a few weeks time, just slow down a little in crowded areas and you be fine but easier said then done. If you enjoy doing something you do not realise you are putting yourself in danger!

Nick :) {2011} :)
RK: PFPS, Arthrofibrosis, Tendinopathy, Five cortisone injections
16/01/18 Anterior interval release, distal patella excision, lateral meniscal repair
18/07/14 Anterior interval release  
16/11/09 Medial plica excision, fat pad trimming

Offline kris_83

• Forum Faithful
  • the hottest thing on 1.5 legs
« Reply #895 on: March 23, 2011, 11:41:58 AM »
snort! If knitting is too low-key, you could also try crochet!
12/09 dx- patellar subluxation (not!)
1/10 mri- neg; PT rx failed
4/10 more PT
5/10 dx patellar hypertension
6/7/10 chrondroplasty, patellar decompression, synovectomy and plica excision
5/6/11 dx RA, sjogren's

Offline Lottiefox

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 16
« Reply #896 on: March 23, 2011, 04:29:19 PM »
Crochet has that hook on the end - she'll have her eye out in under 2 minutes.  :P ::) ;D
Bilateral patella OA since 2009, no surgeries.
Euflexxa working well x3 to current
Right forefoot CRPS post fusion surgery 2011
Refusing to let the ailing parts stop me....

Offline Vickster

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 379
  • Neelie knee!
« Reply #897 on: March 23, 2011, 04:38:55 PM »
Dahlings, crochet is sooooo last year.  Macrame is for the cool cats in 2011.  Snowy - you could make Lottie one of those owl things sd she likes the feathery hooting things  ;D

Ok, I know, I know I need to get out more!  :P
Came off bike onto concrete 9/9/09
LK arthroscopy 8/2/10
2nd scope on 16/12/10
RK arthroscopy on 5/2/15
Lateral meniscus trim, excision of hoffa's fat pad, chondral stabilisation
LK scope 10.1.19 medial menisectomy, trochlea microfracture, general tidy up

Offline Snowy

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 93
« Reply #898 on: March 23, 2011, 05:51:36 PM »
Think I've found a kind of knitting that will work for me.  ;)
Mar 11: R Biceps femoris tear (skiing)
Jul 10: ACLr (hamstring autograft)
Mar 10: L ACL rupture (skiing)
Feb 06: L partial ACL tear (kickboxing)
Dec 03: R bone edema (motorbike)
Jan 01: R patellar chip (motorbike)
May 93: R ACL sprain (hockey)
Ongoing: bilateral PFS and OA

Offline tez27

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #899 on: March 23, 2011, 06:09:02 PM »
From what I have discovered about Snowy she would most likely damage herself with all these activities even the macrame Vicky ;) unless we do what I have already sugested and that would be to wrap her in bubble wrap or  cotton wool or even get her one of those big blow up clear plastic balls that she could use all the time  :P
Sorry Kay its only cos we love you and want you to stay in one piece xxx
Tez
scope Jan 5th 10
diagnosis ACL rupture

support