Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: ACLr Musketeer - Snowy's reconstruction, 9.7.10  (Read 148808 times)

Offline tez27

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 8
Re: ACLr Musketeer - Snowy's reconstruction, 9.7.10
« Reply #45 on: July 13, 2010, 01:41:20 PM »
Hiya all you lovely followers of Snowy [oops that sound a bit like a cult but you know what I mean]
Snowy.. good news that things are improving pain wise that quite encouraging ist try to keep resting and not do too much and I'm pretty sure things will come on in leaps and bounds..
Wee question I am trying to decide weather to make up the bed in the den which is downstairs and has a ensuite shower room other than trying to get up and down the stairs to my bed room what do you think? would you have felt comfortable going up and down stairs when you first got home, just trying to decide if it is worth doing even though I love my own bed  :Dif I had to get up during the night at least if down stairs I wouldnt disturb Dougie and I could watch t.v or use the laptop without having to negotiate stairs with crutches etc.
Kris.. love the chewing gum idea might just be worth a shot ;)
Lisa the time for your stint in Africe is getting closer I assume the exitement is slowy building it grea to have something like that to look forward to you abviously have such a passion for your work out there. I really hope this small problem you are having can be sorted out easily and you can be  O.S less  for ever with 2 perfectly working knees :D
Tony.. Still no word maybe it's time to turn into that squeeking wheel a la Snowy as it must be horrid not knowing when you op will be us 3 muskateers must stay together :P

Take care all Tez
L K injured 25th June 2008
scope Jan 5th 10
diagnosis ACL rupture
fiberous band excised from acl
ACLr July 19th 2010  scope on 24th Sept 2011
ACL has failed incorrect tunnel placement
23rd July 2012 1st stage of a 2 stage ACL revision
10th May 2013 2nd stage ACL revision

Offline roo222

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #46 on: July 13, 2010, 01:52:26 PM »
Snowy - good to hear things are progressing well, and the initial pain seems to have worn off somewhat. Ive got my own ACLr to look forward to in the coming months, so to hear your personal experiences, (especially with all the details!! :) ) is a great help, as im sure it is to many others.

lwillson - fantastic video as well! now i know exactly what im getting my self in to! :o

March 2010: Torn ACL and meniscus damage to right knee (football)
April 2010: Arthroscopy to partially remove meniscus
October 14th: ACLr (hamstring graft) :)

Offline kris_83

• Forum Faithful
  • the hottest thing on 1.5 legs
« Reply #47 on: July 13, 2010, 02:07:04 PM »
p.s. Lisa I wasn't trying to be a butt so I hope it didn't come off that way  :D The pillows/no pillows debate is a popular one. I slept with my leg propped up so high it was almost vertical after surgery and I still am trying to break my one-pillow habit (developed while waiting for surgery) so maybe that's a testament to why they're sometimes a bad idea!
12/09 dx- patellar subluxation (not!)
1/10 mri- neg; PT rx failed
4/10 more PT
5/10 dx patellar hypertension
6/7/10 chrondroplasty, patellar decompression, synovectomy and plica excision
5/6/11 dx RA, sjogren's

Offline Lottiefox

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 16
« Reply #48 on: July 13, 2010, 02:25:37 PM »
Hi Snowy

Glad to hear that things are easing a bit, liked the pics on fb of you on your crutches, looking good!! J has been very wise hiding the broom, tell her I can provide a wet haddock should the urge to sweep come across you again...... ::) :P    I meant to ask if you know if the doc did anything else as well as the ACLr - we'd mentioned before about the PFS but I assume that things looked good and he just did the necessary rebuild rather than any shaving or anything else? Good news if so, indicates the PFS is inflammation rather than direct wear and tear.  ;D

We had a good lunch yesterday - Cosmic and I had the healthy veg salad then destroyed the good work with desserts (lemon possett and bread and butter pud!). Vicks was celebrated as the birthday knee and had fancy tablecloth, serviettes, ballooons and all sorts. I also was very lucky to acquire some superb decorations with which to personalise my sexy Podalux shoe. Mr Onion will be dazzled by it at the 2 week check.  :D

I too am going to have to learn a lesson in patience, which is not my strong point either. I admit I should be able to get about OK with the foot in bandages rather than juggling the whole knee issue and the work isn't anything like as major as the ACLr but it is bone work and I am a bit fearful of how nasty it might feel after that nerve block wears off tomorrow evening! It'll be "Nurse!! Drugs!!!". I'm feling pretty jittery now, have just attempted to pack a bag but my wash bags have all vanished and I can't take my toiletries in a plastic bag. God knows whats happened to them all, I sense a trip to Boots to get some new bag things! I've got a book, Nintendo DS, ipod charging, and some grapes and some Lucozade sports drink to take with me too as i'm in overnight. I suspect I won't fancy eating much immediately after, although knowing me I will be craving a coffee and some cake.  ::) :P  I'm now to be there at 7.00 and am 3rd on the list, not first. I think that may be his list for the morning so I am kind of glad he is saving me til last - don't want him setting the onion pointing sky high because he has a hunger pang. He is also going to inject Bob-knee with a steroid - I thought I'd see what effect it has plus it will be good to give Bib a helping hand whilst he takes more weight for a while. The knees have been SO sore the past two days - but due to sunburn acquired on Sunday!! Ouch!! on fire in a different way!! Thank god the onion was tucked up!

Anyway enough about me, I'm glad you're feeling a bit more in control of the knee. Take things easy. Tez - how are you feeling? How fast do the days go by when you're on that final week don't they? Thinking of you.

Hugs to all knee folk from Bob and the onions,

xxxx
Bilateral patella OA since 2009, no surgeries.
Euflexxa working well x3 to current
Right forefoot CRPS post fusion surgery 2011
Refusing to let the ailing parts stop me....

Offline Snowy

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 93
« Reply #49 on: July 13, 2010, 09:01:32 PM »
Good morning all! I can't tell you what a nice feeling it is to wake up in the morning and find so many replies waiting on this thread. :) Makes me feel very supported in this strange new post-op world!

Kris and Lisa - I've been trying to hit a happy medium on the elevation and while I've been propping the leg up a lot, I've been putting the pillows under the foot rather than the knee. This encourages the knee into natural extension while giving it the benefits of being elevated, so the best of both worlds!

I put a fresh dressing on the guidewire wound last night, along with a big blob of polysporin; I hope having gauze rather than just the sticky clear plastic will encourage it to heal. Will inspect later today, but hope to spare myself a chewing gum plug. ;)

Lisa - PT is due to start a week or so after surgery, but I may talk to the PT about waiting till staples removal as I think they're going to limit what I can do quite significantly. Today I'm going to try a few more heel slides and quad flexes (PT encouraged me to try these post-surgery) and see how the incisions respond. Hope your meeting goes really well and gives you lots to look forward to! Bristol is close to my old stamping grounds - I grew up in Exeter. :)

Tony - you have youth on your side, which should be a big help with the healing. I don't think the patellar tendon graft is any more painful than the hamstring graft, but you might be facing more incision pain given the open surgery. I believe Lisa had this too, so she may be able to give you some tips on what to expect. I do hope your surgeon comes through with a date soon - I still have my Three Musketeers beer waiting in the fridge to toast the day that you, Tez and I are all on the other side!

Cosmic - I gave in last night and changed the dressings. I don't think they normally anticipate a 30-degree heatwave when they make the bandage change recommendations! I didn't remove the final layer over the incisions, but I pulled out two layers of blood-soaked gauze padding and replaced it with a fresh layer. It felt much better afterwards; the top layer had dried out and was stiff as a board, which was actually quite uncomfortable on the incisions.

The hamstring doesn't feel too bad at rest, and is okay if I'm sitting on something soft and squishy like the couch. It also doesn't really hurt when I bend over and get on or off the couch, which surprised me a bit. However I really feel it if I sit a little too far back on a harder surface (I'm doing a lot of perching) and it jangles in a shudderingly painful way if I jolt my body at all. It's also responded to dream movements when I'm asleep a few times, snapping me instantly awake in an excruciatingly painful way!  I'm finding myself very grateful for my swimmer's shoulders, which mean I can lower and raise myself very easily when required without needing too much involvement from the leg.

Tez - I cannot even imagine trying to get up or down stairs the first 48 hours after surgery, so I would definitely recommend making yourself up a bed downstairs! I'm at a point now where I feel like I could try stairs, but since I don't have to (the only ones we have go up to the roof deck, but we have a smaller deck on the same level as the rest of the condo too) I probably won't be attempting them just yet!

Roo - do you have a date for your ACLr yet? It definitely helps with expectations reading about other people's recoveries (I've been glued to this section of the board for a while), and it's fascinating to see the differences and similarities in our experiences.

Lottie - it's TOMORROW!!! Thinking of you so much right now - those last 24 hours before surgery are definitely the hardest, and in some ways almost worse than the surgery itself. Once it's done at least you know what you're dealing with and can just get on with it one small step at a time, whereas the imagination taunts you with an endless array of possibilities and responses! Loved the pics of your gathering on FB - what a great way to take your mind off things.

Post Op Day Four

A couple of small milestones to report. Firstly, made it through last night without painkillers! Took one pill at about 8pm, went to bed at about 1am, slept till about 8.30am, took two pills at 9am. Rather sore on waking but slept pretty well again. My lifelong insomnia has apparently had a voluntary surrender to the healing need for sleep, at least for now.

Last night and this morning I've managed a couple of room-to-room walks without the crutches. I'm very slow and cautious as the knee still feels quite weak,  but it's no more painful than walking with the crutches.

While I was in the middle of writing this, our friend Renee arrived to take me to the doctor to refill my naproxen prescription. (I was going to use this as my first driving test - the doctor is only 4 blocks away - but she told me it's much too soon to be skipping pain meds in order to drive, and came over to chauffeur me on her lunch break.) The pharmacist made some very impressed noises as I crutched my way in and explained that I'd just had an ACL reconstruction on Friday. I have lots of NSAIDs and a selection of new dressings ready for bandage removal tomorrow. The outing was a little tiring and my calf now feels a bit tight and sore again, but it felt really good to be out of the house and interacting with the outside world.

I also cracked this morning and decided I couldn't go one second longer without a hair wash - it was a greasy mess when I woke up this morning and the thought of leaving it another 24 hours for my shower was not an acceptable one. Turned out to be a very easy task using the spray attachment in the kitchen sink, and I feel a million times better. Still very much looking forward to the shower after four days of sponge baths.

A nice yellowish bruise is starting to peek out from under the crepe bandage and make its way down my calf. Will be interested to see how things look tomorrow once the bandages are off, as I tend to bruise up really easily at the best of times.

So...progress is definitely happening, albeit slowly. Looking forward to seeing how today progresses!

« Last Edit: July 13, 2010, 09:41:49 PM by Snowy »
Mar 11: R Biceps femoris tear (skiing)
Jul 10: ACLr (hamstring autograft)
Mar 10: L ACL rupture (skiing)
Feb 06: L partial ACL tear (kickboxing)
Dec 03: R bone edema (motorbike)
Jan 01: R patellar chip (motorbike)
May 93: R ACL sprain (hockey)
Ongoing: bilateral PFS and OA

Offline lwillson

• Regular Poster
« Reply #50 on: July 13, 2010, 09:45:42 PM »
Hi Snowy.  Looks like you have secured cult status here  :)  Sounds like each day is a new step in the right direction, or perhaps even a few sequential steps / hobbles around your rooms without too much support. 

I still remain so happily surprised by finding a forum which attracts like-minded patients together to share good news as well as woes, in a way that only fellow patients, past and future, will ever really understand.  So it's great to see your comings and goings, and those around us all, and know that things are slowly getting better for all. 

Quick question - what's PFS?  Showing my ignorance but best to ask.

Good luck for another night of better kip, and here we all go again tomorrow,

Lawrence
30 Nov 2010 - ACLr with allograft and resected meniscus
July 2010 - MRI and athroscopy diagnosed torn ACL and multiple cartilage tears
March 2010 - ACL tear, climbing in snow
March 2009 - ACL partial tear, skiing in heavy slush
1990 - patella re-alignment surgery

Offline roo222

• Regular Poster
« Reply #51 on: July 13, 2010, 09:46:38 PM »
No, im still waiting for an op date, but every time i hear the post come/phone ring i spring up (albeit slowly) in anticipation. Its getting pretty frustrating waiting to hear, but im sure i dont have to tell many people on these boards about that feeling!! I hurt my knee end of March this year, so i suppose the waiting hasnt been that long yet, but im not used to being inactive...again im sure the majority reading this know all about that. ::) Out of interest, how long did you wait between injury and your ACLr?

Like you i too have been constantly checking both this and the cruciate section, and all the info has been absolutely amazing! Especially coming firsthand from people such as yourself, who have been through/are currently going through it! In the last week since i discovered this site, i feel like im 10x more prepared for whats ahead then i was before hand, so a big thank you to every one. 8)

After reading your last post, it seems like your progressing fairly fast, especially when i saw that your managing walks without crutches! Slow progress is still progress and your now a few steps (no pun intended) closer to a full recovery!! Best of luck with the continued improvements!
March 2010: Torn ACL and meniscus damage to right knee (football)
April 2010: Arthroscopy to partially remove meniscus
October 14th: ACLr (hamstring graft) :)

Offline zaiemk

• Regular Poster
« Reply #52 on: July 13, 2010, 10:15:25 PM »
Hi Snowy

Sounds like your recovery is coming along nicely - I had the dream movement and it made me shoot straight up - awful feeling..

I echo you on the need for the shower - It feels so nice to get in the shower and get cleaned up.  I hope everything looks good when your bandages come off tomorrow - you should notice greater ROM without thick bandaging.  I hope you';re bruising isnt too bad as well.

You may be right about the PT after staples come out - but wait to speak to your PT before deciding.  The staples at the femur graft site are really tight for me, almost embedded - I ma slightly scared of getting these snipped out - eeugghh - the hospital gave me the snippers to take to the clinic - they dont look too clever :'(

Progress - no matter how slow - is good.  Keep it up and bear with it patiently.

Take care
Zaiem

Offline seerobinbike

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #53 on: July 13, 2010, 10:36:25 PM »
Well, Snowy...looks like you've got yourself a cyber fan club going here ;D  Glad to see that you've gotten so much support and encouragement for it sure helps.  Glad to read that you are having a better day today and that the pain is diminishing.  Woo Hoo!!  May things continue to progress for you.  AND BTW...I thank you for all your posts that encouraged me on the days when I felt like I'd made a big mistake.  Will look forward to checking in with you again soon.  Keep up the good and patient work:)
Jan. 12: PKR.
June 10:  Meniscus surgery.
Most of '09:  PT to help constant knee pain.

Offline tez27

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #54 on: July 13, 2010, 10:38:53 PM »
Snowy excelent news about walking crutchless, you seem to be coming alone really well, not that I'm surprised as from what I have learned about you over the last few months you aint gonna let anything get you down for too long ;D
Thanks for the advice about stairs I was pretty  sure I was doing the right thing with the bed down stairs but thought i would check just in case going up and down stairs wase't too bad. thanks also for telling us about having to change the dressing cos I might invest in some stuff to do likewise just in case I need to, saying that after my scope I was given a load of waterprood dressings by the ward staff before I was discharged, so not sure if the same will happen this time  ::)  
Roo I hope you get your surgery date in soon I know from experience the waiting is a killer, Its 2 years since I injured my knee and its been a long process to get to this stage.. 5 days to surgery!! its a scary thought but I really just want it over with so I can get on with living my life.
Lawrance this site has been a godsend for me, I have learned so much about all things knee related and the support and  encouragment I have recieved has been amazing.
Lottie I have posted in Cosmics cafe to wish you well for tomorrow but in case you reading this as well good luck for tomorrow I hope all goes well and toryboychopperwhateverelsehescalled is on good toryboy chopping form ;)
Take care All Tez
L K injured 25th June 2008
scope Jan 5th 10
diagnosis ACL rupture
fiberous band excised from acl
ACLr July 19th 2010  scope on 24th Sept 2011
ACL has failed incorrect tunnel placement
23rd July 2012 1st stage of a 2 stage ACL revision
10th May 2013 2nd stage ACL revision

Offline kris_83

• Forum Faithful
  • the hottest thing on 1.5 legs
« Reply #55 on: July 13, 2010, 11:59:16 PM »
Walking without crutches... sleeping through the night on one dose of meds... and you're bruising! Look at you go, these all seem to be GREAT signs of recovery.

Your greasy hair comment made me laugh out loud. I only had to wait 24 hours to shower after my op and the way the vicodin made me sweat (like a ho in church) I was already getting a little... ripe? shall we say? It's amazing how we take our clean heads for granted when we are well-kneed. Good luck with the heel-slides. I do wonder what kind of PT they expect to do while you are stapled so I will be interested to hear what the verdict is with that! Also the pillow solution sounds the best- you are like the ACLr sensei...

I also just wanted to wish lottie best of luck with her hot date with toryboy (again) and I'll catch all of you fine folk later :)
12/09 dx- patellar subluxation (not!)
1/10 mri- neg; PT rx failed
4/10 more PT
5/10 dx patellar hypertension
6/7/10 chrondroplasty, patellar decompression, synovectomy and plica excision
5/6/11 dx RA, sjogren's

Offline Snowy

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 93
« Reply #56 on: July 14, 2010, 06:58:44 AM »
Lawrence - PFS is patellofemoral syndrome, a chronic condition characterized by anterior knee pain. Lottie and I are both sufferers; in my case it's caused by maltracking patellars. I had recently started working on it with my current PT when I suffered my ACL tear, and until that point had been making good progress on it; unfortunately a lot of the ACL rehab involves exactly the things that irritate the PFS (squats, leg presses, etc) and with this being a much more acute issue, addressing the PFS will have to take a back seat for a year or so. It's likely to complicate my rehab a bit if it flares up, which is unfortunate.

I echo the immense value of this forum - it's so hard to explain to people exactly what it's like trying to live your life around a chronic knee condition or acute injury, and it's great to have a place where people not only just get it, but can share their own advice and experiences with the same issues.

Roo - I waited just over four months from injury to surgery. I was actually quite lucky; wait times here are horrendous and I was initially warned that it could be up to two years before surgery, but I made myself into a very squeaky wheel and managed to speed things up considerably. With ACL tears they prefer not to operate right away as they usually want you to regain as much extension, flex and strength as possible prior to reconstruction (if you go into the op with less than full ROM, it's likely that you won't get it back again after.) I've heard 6-8 weeks post-injury cited as the optimal time for surgery (balancing preparation with the risk of further damage that comes from having an ACL-deficient knee) but the advantage of a delay is that you can really use the time to build muscle strength. I remember that feeling of waiting for the phone to ring well; my cellphone accompanied me to every work meeting while I was waiting for my date!

Zaiem - when are your staples coming out? Do let me know how it goes. How's your knee doing at the moment?

Tez - anything that makes life easier, even if it's just a tiny bit, is worth doing! Warn Dougie that you will need to be waited on hand and foot for at least a couple of days. :) I'm so relieved to be in this condo for my surgery and recovery; we have no required stairs, and it's nice and spacious. When I busted my knee four years ago we were still living in a 560 square foot one-bedroom condo, and being on crutches in such a tiny space was a nightmare - I just had no room to operate at all! J's big worry here was actually that she'd bump or kick me while asleep because our bed isn't that large (she's a very active sleeper) but in fact it's been fine - I guess the subconscious remembers that there's an invalid in the bed. :)

Robin - thank you - and I'm so glad if anything I said helped get you through a bad day! Now I'm on the other side too, I know just how important the support and encouragement is!

Kris - we've been having a major heatwave here (my surgery day was the hottest of the year so far) so I've been sponge bathing twice a day, but I'm still longing for that shower - it's just not the same! My hair wash this morning made me feel like a new person; wish I'd realised sooner that it would be so easy to do.

Day 4 roundup

Apart from my excursion to the doctor and pharmacist today, I've managed about 90% without crutches today! It's not much of a walk yet - painfully slow, limpy, and very cautious - but it's amazing how much easier it makes life having my hands free while I move around. It helps lessen my demands on poor long-suffering J, too.

Finally got some exercises underway; 3 sets of 100 quad flexes, a few gentle heel slides, and a few attempts at seated extensions. My quads haven't shut down this time, which is great - I lost them for a while after the original injury, and it was a real battle getting them to fire again. Flex is at 76 degrees on the heel slides. It feels like I can extend the leg almost straight; however, with the bandages in the way I'm likely still a few degrees off. Have been in touch with my PT via email, and he says this is all good for four days post-op and as long as there aren't any setbacks, we should be thinking about a first appointment on Saturday or Monday.

The knee definitely appreciated the dressing change, and the guidewire wound has finally stopped bleeding! The knee itself is still very swollen; it looks quite alien at the moment. The incisions are now driving me insane because they're itching like crazy; I think this is good (I believe it means they're healing) but I just want to scratch them!

As the other pains ease up a bit, I'm becoming very aware that I have a lot of random numbness and occasional tingly patches in my shin. I don't think this is a cause for concern (my understanding is that nerves are moved, knocked about a bit and sometimes even cut during the op, so odd nerve referrals are to be expected) but it feels very strange. Has anyone else experienced this? How long did it take to pass?

Stretched the pain meds way out today - three doses only, 6 hours apart. By the last one in the evening the pain was breaking through, but overall I managed okay on the reduced dose. I'm not loving the oxycodone as it makes me very sleepy, so although I have a full week's supply I'm hoping to move myself onto something a bit less intense over the next couple of days.

I'm also starting to get really damn sick of my rehab nest on the couch, and a bit stir crazy from being stuck indoors with just movies, books and the net to keep me busy. I love reading and being online, but at heart I'm an outdoors girl and at the moment things feel very unbalanced. I guess it's a good sign that I'm feeling better enough to start noticing how restricted I am, but not so good that I'm not yet able to do too much about it! My calf swells if I'm upright for too long, so I know the couch needs to remain my primary home for a while.

As the reality of this new, slowed down, not-so-mobile body with all its restrictions sinks in, I'm starting to feel the pangs of loss for all those things I won't be able to do for quite some time to come...especially my bikes, which I'm going to be missing through all the perfect summer and fall biking weather. I think I'll feel a bit better about this once the staples come out and I can at least get back in the swimming pool and reclaim one activity, but at the moment my mind is very much on those things that I won't be able to do for a long time yet.

On a more positive note, J made the most amazing homemade chicken soup for dinner - packed full of organic chicken, broccoli, onions, carrots, garlic and chilli flakes - and my appetite suddenly came back with a vengeance! My in-laws sent me a wonderful get-well-soon chocolate truffle assortment which also arrived today, so tonight I feel very well fed indeed.  ;D

Mar 11: R Biceps femoris tear (skiing)
Jul 10: ACLr (hamstring autograft)
Mar 10: L ACL rupture (skiing)
Feb 06: L partial ACL tear (kickboxing)
Dec 03: R bone edema (motorbike)
Jan 01: R patellar chip (motorbike)
May 93: R ACL sprain (hockey)
Ongoing: bilateral PFS and OA

Offline HogDog

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #57 on: July 14, 2010, 11:24:53 AM »
Hi Snowy,

Glad you are still going well keep up the great posts.

I know like you I will miss the activitiy levels for a while but just think of what you will be like after rehab thats pretty much what drives me along whilst I await my outcome.

HD.

Knee Arthroscopy 1992 - Wash out knee
Knee Arthroscopy 1995 - Remove bone debris
2007 - MCL grade 2
2010 - Torn ACL awating recon

Offline crankerchick

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 24
  • How 'bout them Cowboys!
    • Derotation osteotomy & TTT Post-op diary
« Reply #58 on: July 14, 2010, 02:12:44 PM »
Snowy, just checking in to say hi and glad to see you appear to be doing well. Sleeping through the night? I'm so jealous. Although I had a completely different op, regardless, sleep evaded me and it was just awful and annoying LOL. Cool to hear that you are walking around and decreasing the pain meds and everything. All positive steps in the right direction. Keep up the awesome work!
Mar '07 - plica excision
Oct '09 - femoral + tibial derotational osteotomy & TTT
Aug '10 - hardware removal
"You control your leg. Don't let it control you." -Smart trainer
"Get your a$$ in gear and go for it! Nothing will happen until you make it!" -Smart doctor

Offline zaiemk

• Regular Poster
« Reply #59 on: July 14, 2010, 05:53:34 PM »
Hi Snowy

You are doing really well - you are at about the same stage as me in terms of rehab (although my op was 1st July).  I too have ditched the crutches around the house.  Feeling ok getting around without, and also attempted (stupdily) the stairs with a 'normal' climb/descent - not a clever idea, hurts like buggery - especially quite high up the side of the thigh.  This is where I think my graft at the femur has been secured quite high up - the slight complication that the OS spoke off.

You are doing a good job with your work on your quads - I dont think you will see much muscle loss there.

Chicken soup is a cure all - nice work Jen :)

Take care guys
Zaiem