Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: ACLr Musketeer - Snowy's reconstruction, 9.7.10  (Read 150887 times)

Offline Snowy

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 93
Re: ACLr Musketeer - Snowy's reconstruction, 9.7.10
« Reply #30 on: July 12, 2010, 03:58:17 AM »
Hi Kristin and Deepak! It still feels strange having folk dropping by my post-op thread to see how I'm doing - I guess I haven't entirely adjusted to the idea that I really am on the "other side" now! Good to see you both. :)

Hearing that the ACLr wasn't much worse pain-wise than natural childbirth makes me feel a bit less of a wuss. :) I tend to think of myself as having a fairly high pain tolerance, which I think is another reason I was quite thrown by the post-surgery pain levels. That said, these are very different sensations than anything I've ever felt before! It's bizarre how many different kinds of pain there are emanating from my knee right now - the deep bone pain (which comes through shortly before I'm due for the next dose of pills), the hamstring twanging, the achy calf, the pulling staples, and other random twinges and aches from the centre of the joint.

At the moment the most I can do for extension is prop a pillow under my foot, and leave the knee unsupported to encourage natural extension. I've tried pushing down into the couch or a cushion under the knee, but this pulls horribly on the staples (as does any significant effort to bend the knee) and I doubt that's good for the wound healing, which both my PT and OS encouraged me to focus on at this early stage.

I fell asleep on the couch after my 4pm painkillers (I did that yesterday as well) and had the unnerving experience of dreaming that I was walking around, and every big step in the dream was accompanied by a nerve-jangling flex of the remains of my hamstring tendons! I guess I'm a twitchier sleeper than I realized.

Tez, I meant to let you know - the Cryocuff couldn't be easier to use. I don't think you'll have any worries with it at all. Just make sure you have a good supply of ice in the freezer - it's a hungry beast!

I'm already dreaming about bandage removal and shower day on Wednesday. :)
Mar 11: R Biceps femoris tear (skiing)
Jul 10: ACLr (hamstring autograft)
Mar 10: L ACL rupture (skiing)
Feb 06: L partial ACL tear (kickboxing)
Dec 03: R bone edema (motorbike)
Jan 01: R patellar chip (motorbike)
May 93: R ACL sprain (hockey)
Ongoing: bilateral PFS and OA

Offline Snowy

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #31 on: July 12, 2010, 06:08:03 AM »
A question - did anyone else have the fun-filled experience of accidentally putting your operated foot down a little hard or catching your crutch on something and stumbling on that leg? I've done that twice today - agonizing! It felt like a bolt of electricity going from the start of the aching calf through the incisions to the hamstring harvest site. Yowch!  :o

Offline tez27

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #32 on: July 12, 2010, 08:17:03 AM »
Good morning Snowy I know this in not moring over there but should be by the time you read this.
I hope you had a good nights sleep, and the pain is starting to improve a little :D
I am now on the count down a week today it will be my turn and even though I am  getting a little freaked out every time a read another of your posts I appreciate that you are telling like it is and not suger coating anything, at least I know it wont be easy to start with and there will be pain. whether or not I am prepared for the pain will have to be seen :o
Please no more trying to do houswork you could end up doing yourself some damage, the dust etc aint going anywhere and I'm sure Jen was not happy with you, the docs tell you to rest for a reason so do as your told and rest... consider yourself told off....
Take care and I hope you have an easier day today
Tez xx   
L K injured 25th June 2008
scope Jan 5th 10
diagnosis ACL rupture
fiberous band excised from acl
ACLr July 19th 2010  scope on 24th Sept 2011
ACL has failed incorrect tunnel placement
23rd July 2012 1st stage of a 2 stage ACL revision
10th May 2013 2nd stage ACL revision

Offline Lottiefox

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 16
« Reply #33 on: July 12, 2010, 09:08:28 AM »
Hi Snowy

Hope you had a good night of some sleep and things are feeling a bit easier again.

I shal echo Tez - NO MORE SWEEPING!!! God dammit girl - you've had major knee surgery, give yourself some days to rest up!!! Everything I read about my onion surgery indicates that REST in the first week (foot stuck up above hip, chilling...etc etc) helps a speedier recovery and faster healing. The same must apply to knees, although clearly you need to work on ROM as tolerated which isn't the case for onions (dice 'em, slice 'em, keep 'em straight). I bet J was mad - Richard would have beaten me with a wet haddock and chained me to the sofa!

Hugs and look forward to hearing how you're doing,

Tez - kep calm, you'll soon be through it.  ;D
xxx
Bilateral patella OA since 2009, no surgeries.
Euflexxa working well x3 to current
Right forefoot CRPS post fusion surgery 2011
Refusing to let the ailing parts stop me....

Offline lwillson

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #34 on: July 12, 2010, 10:43:39 AM »
Hi Snowy.

Just read through this daisy chain of events - sounds like you are having quite an epic experience, not much of it very fun either.  But do remember the comedy moments - the surgical pants, the IV for cats, and the battered haddock beating you nearly missed from Lottiefox.

If you haven't seen it, I found the following weblink for a 60 minute video of what is done during an ACLr.  Explains all the various holes too.  Hope you are not too squeamish.  Quite fascinating surgery.  Trust the link works.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=4784825947320070673&sourceid=searchfeed#

PS - would appear my humble athroscopy (in comparison to you in the more hardier ACLr community) granted me deluxe NHS material diapers.  Not quite sure what they added really from either a medical or dignity perspective.  Wonder if Superman undies next time could be worn to surprise the surgeon and team.  If they happen to be looking.  ;D.
30 Nov 2010 - ACLr with allograft and resected meniscus
July 2010 - MRI and athroscopy diagnosed torn ACL and multiple cartilage tears
March 2010 - ACL tear, climbing in snow
March 2009 - ACL partial tear, skiing in heavy slush
1990 - patella re-alignment surgery

Offline HogDog

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #35 on: July 12, 2010, 12:47:17 PM »
Hi Snowy,

Being new to the need for a new ACL (only at the begining stage really) I was looking for more insight and have some what stumbled accross this site and found your post op story of which is highly informative and an interesting read to all those about to take this long journey.

I am not sure its right to be reading through your posts like a would be reading a novel but I find that when people ask you about your knee troubles unless they are actually dealing with something similar they never fully understand why it starts to take over your life so much.

I am now reading your updates regulary to see how you are getting and would like to pass on my congratualtions on getting through the reconstruction and wish a speedy recovery.

Thks
Knee Arthroscopy 1992 - Wash out knee
Knee Arthroscopy 1995 - Remove bone debris
2007 - MCL grade 2
2010 - Torn ACL awating recon

Offline seerobinbike

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #36 on: July 12, 2010, 04:45:50 PM »
Hey Snowy,

Sending you good energy and well wishes for a fast recovery.  I'm so sorry to hear that you've been in so much pain!! If you, Iron Girl, are in pain, I can only imagine how badly the surgery must have roughed you up.  I don't have much to add as far as advice goes except to remind you that stress/anxiety can make the pain feel more intense. Try to focus on relaxing all muscles from your head to toe and don't forget to breathe! 

Hope this note finds you feeling better than you did yesterday. 

Robin 
Jan. 12: PKR.
June 10:  Meniscus surgery.
Most of '09:  PT to help constant knee pain.

Offline zaiemk

• Regular Poster
« Reply #37 on: July 12, 2010, 07:51:50 PM »
Hi Snowy

Like the pics on fb.

I also experienced the smalls trips, shakes and close calls - causing all the muscles to tense up.  Its a horrible feeling.  I nearly slipped on the stairs on my  first day home - needless to say I now take it very easy on the stairs now.

So knowing that feeling, can I just ask what you thought you were doing sweeping the floor ? ???

First 5-7 days take extra care and rest up as much as poss.

Please take care
Zaiem

Offline Snowy

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #38 on: July 12, 2010, 08:42:52 PM »
Hey gang,

Hogdog and lwillson - welcome! Glad the diary is helpful for you. As I think I mentioned, succinct is definitely not one of my strong points so there's plenty of tedious detail here about every little thing I'm going through. Lwillson, love the idea of superman undies - makes me think I should have worn my "Canada Rocks" pair for the OS!  ;D Thanks for the video link; I've watched a few but that one is longer, so may well have more detail. I'm not at all squeamish, so I don't have any problem watching the surgeons drilling away.

Tez, I definitely don't want you to get freaked out by the descriptions of the pain I've had so far. Most importantly, it's improving a little each day; and part of the reason it was so bad on the first day was because I didn't get on the meds fast enough when I got home from the hospital - that was entirely my own fault. I also had fairly minimal pain control during and immediately after the op (because I'm on an early mobilization/weight-bearing regime it's important that I get good feedback from the knee on the things I'm trying to do with it, so they were administering pain meds on an as-needed basis) and it sounds like that's not what they have planned for you at all. You're going to be in hospital for a couple of days getting local anesthetic directly into the knee, so that should see you through that first 24 - 48 hours when things are really ugly. Yesterday and today I've been on top of my meds and the pain has stayed at a manageable level. You'll be fine - just make sure you let the nurses know if the pain breaks through, and they'll take good care of you.

Robin - I have to admit that I was wondering if I'd turned into a complete wimp, but I've since been reassured that a) this is a pretty painful surgery, featuring as it does both bone drilling and tendon harvest; b) my pain control was toward the lower end of the scale; and c) I let the pain get ahead of me when I first get home. I think one of the reasons I was so surprised was because I've always had a pretty high tolerance for pain, but my normal approach (mind over matter and minimal meds) failed completely here. Oh well - a valuable lesson for the future, and things are slowly improving.

Lottie - I think if Jen had had a wet haddock to hand, she would have beaten me soundly with it when she caught me sweeping! As it was she made a lot of horrified noises, took my broom away and sent me straight back to the couch. It probably wasn't a great idea, but it did make me feel a little less useless.

Another good night's sleep last night; I'm relieved that I haven't had trouble sleeping, especially as I normally sleep on my side and right now I'm stuck on my back. Still not interested in food, but Jen has stocked the freezer up and we now have four different flavours of ice cream to tempt me.  ;D

Pain levels are definitely better today, and I've moved the meds an hour further apart with no ill effects. I'm still slow getting around, but I'm using one crutch for support only and putting full weight through the operated leg. I can feel a pull in the incisions as I move the weight onto that leg, but it's less sharp than it was yesterday. Very gently working on extension by increasing the height of the pile of cushions under my foot, and have been doing a little bit of work bending the leg (equally gently) while seated. The bandages are still making it hard to tell how the flex and extension is really doing; I don't think I'll be able to do too much on the exercise front till they come off on Wednesday.

Patience, patience. It's probably very good for me to have to learn to temper my normal gung-ho approach to things, but it's not easy...

Offline tez27

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #39 on: July 12, 2010, 10:16:10 PM »
Snowy thanks for the reasurance about the pain etc, I know I will be fine, its just getting closer and closer this time next week it will all be over and I too will be on the other side. Its just a shame Tony still doesen't have a surgery date yet to keep the 3 of us all being done in July.
So glad things are feeling a little better today I can imagine how hard you are finding it having to rest and not do too much but from what I have heard its the best way to feel better so soon after surgery. Excelent that you can sleep all night cos that in itself should help with healing :) 
I hope things continue to get better every day take care Tez
L K injured 25th June 2008
scope Jan 5th 10
diagnosis ACL rupture
fiberous band excised from acl
ACLr July 19th 2010  scope on 24th Sept 2011
ACL has failed incorrect tunnel placement
23rd July 2012 1st stage of a 2 stage ACL revision
10th May 2013 2nd stage ACL revision

Offline Snowy

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #40 on: July 13, 2010, 04:40:46 AM »
I hope Tony hears something from his surgeon soon - there seems to have been a much longer delay than they were originally anticipating.

Well, today has definitely been a better day - pain levels were noticeably improved, including that nasty calf surge when getting up, and overall I've been a bit more mobile. Ankle pumps are feeling a lot more comfortable, and I've been doing a bit of gentle bending in a seated position. It looks as though flex is about 80 degrees right now, maybe a little less. Extension is impossible to tell due to the mass of bandages.

Haven't tried any activities today (my broom seems to have mysteriously disappeared) but I did spend a bit of time sitting at my desktop computer catching up on family emails. After being in a seated position for an hour or so I noticed that my calf felt swollen and had gone numb around the foot of the bandage, so I'm back on the couch with my pile of cushions for now - I'm guessing the culprit was fluid from the knee draining into the calf. Laya is snuggled up on the back of the couch, keeping a close eye on me.

Today's minor concern is the guidewire wound on my thigh, which is still oozing away - it reopens every time I move. I have a clear waterproof bandage on it which is starting to look rather icky with all the dried blood caught under it, so I'm going to get some new dressings tomorrow and get that changed up.

Also got a date for my post-op followup and staples removal today - July 20th.

Offline kris_83

• Forum Faithful
  • the hottest thing on 1.5 legs
« Reply #41 on: July 13, 2010, 10:27:43 AM »
I was so excited to see the pic of you up and crutch-standing on fb  :) Looks like you are improving quickly. Glad to hear the calf-surges are subsiding, that sounds heinous.

With my piddly-by-comparison surgery I was told to elevate as much as humanly possible for the first week- I had the same problems with swelling in the leg whenever I did anything sitting up. I know some of the posters have been telling you that pillow-propping is bad for extension, but if you aren't getting full extension with the big bandages anyway, I'd worry less till they are thinned out a bit. I bet you'll be a little more mobile than you think you are once the inner gauzy crap gets unstuck. Are we going to have to plug up that wire wound with chewing gum or what?  ;D

Keep fighting the good fight girl!
12/09 dx- patellar subluxation (not!)
1/10 mri- neg; PT rx failed
4/10 more PT
5/10 dx patellar hypertension
6/7/10 chrondroplasty, patellar decompression, synovectomy and plica excision
5/6/11 dx RA, sjogren's

Offline lis1

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #42 on: July 13, 2010, 11:56:04 AM »
Hi Snowy (and Kris)

My post re pillow propping was regarding sleeping with your pillow under the knee, not resting throughout the day, and using the benefit of my experience of having done this and knowing that it was a mistake just letting you know.  That being said at the moment you seem to be doing great and seem to be right on target.

When does PT start?  After staples removal?  Fun times ahead lol

I see my OS in august and was hoping that it might ne the last time, if it is then for the first time in 5 years i would be surgeon free, however there is a small problem happening and we do not know what it is so who knows what will happen then?

It's another long day at the pool..........just 11 hours today.  Got to go to the city centre and do some fountain maintenance and return to teach for 2 hours............love my job but some of the time i could do with some time off.  Oh well i am off tomorrow to attend a meeting in Bristol and although i am not looking forward to the 3 hour job, its about the way forward for Africa so good times!!

Might catch ya later on FB.........

Lisa x
remidial meniscemtomy 1994
scope and tidy up july 2006
acl reconstruction and microfractures oct 2006 (failed on both counts)
oats june 2008 - very successful
acl revision patella tendon - oct 09

Offline tony1233

• Forum Faithful
  • http://www.facebook.com/#!/photo.php?pid=4026561&o
« Reply #43 on: July 13, 2010, 01:15:23 PM »
Hi all,

thanks Snowy for you very descriptive story about how everything is going. It is a shame that I dont have my date yet but, thats typical of the health care system here in NL. The muskateers should all get our surgeries around the same time but.. still waiting on that phone call.

Your experiences give me a nervous anticiption of what is to come. I am excited because I know that after all the pain I can finally get in shape and do my written tests for the RCMP and really get on with my life. However, your pain make me nervous espically considering I'm having the BPB recon rather then hamstring.

ALl the best Kay and the other muskateers and everyone else on this great site is here for you :)
09/30/07 Diagnosed with partial ACL tear (left knee)
02/03/10 American Football injury, Diagnosed with ACL & MCL complete tear (right knee)
(R)lateral meniscotomy 08/11/10
(L) Lateral meniscotomy 10/28/11
(L) MCL & Medial Meniscus tear 07/12
(L) injury 01/23/12

Offline Cosmicsnuffle

• Forum Faithful
  • Life's short - eat pudding first!
« Reply #44 on: July 13, 2010, 01:24:36 PM »
Hey Snowy,

Cool that you are feeling things moving forward - noticing the improvements and becoming acquainted with your new knee. Also glad that the broom has mysteriously disappeared!
Strange how your guide wire wound is still seeping - it's good that you are keeping a watchful eye on it.

I know what you mean about icky dressings - they do get a bit gruesome! I was torn between facing what was underneath and getting them changed for fresh clean shiny dressings.

How is your hamstring doing? I remember trying to slide on the bed to get up or sit down ..... eeeek! And as for perching on that port-potty in hopsital - well I might as well have been sitting on razor blades! Are you managing to lift your foot off the floor OK when you walk? I'd step forwards and then my foot wouldn't lift off the floor to swing through - it took about a week for it to start to return... in the meantime I looked like something from Thunderbirds when I moved  ;D ::).

Looking good on your FB pics  :D.

Keep up the good (work) rest. It really is the best thing at the moment!

Hugs xx
Oct 04 - torn meniscus
Dec 05 meniscal trim and debridement
Sep 09 torn ACL, kissing contusions, knee locked 30-60o
Jan 10 ACL stump debrided, lateral parrot beak meniscal tear trimmed
May 10 ACLr (Hamstring)
Aug 11 mfx (focal lesion lateral femoral condyle)
Jun 14 100k walk London-Brighton 28hrs