Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Sports are like a drug...  (Read 2078 times)

Offline jt801

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 0
Sports are like a drug...
« on: July 06, 2010, 11:18:38 PM »
Anyone else in total denial about their knee issues and continuing to pound away at their knees in whatever sports they play? I find myself unable to let go of athletics at 36 and after 2 knee surgeries, despite the fact that a little voice in the back of my head keeps saying "you're gonna be real sorry 10 or 15 years down the road." It really does feel like an addiction in that the damage i'm probably doing to myself is worth the rush in the short term. As of yet i haven't heard of any support groups for sports addicts.
12/99 left knee lateral release and plica removal
1/09 right knee chondroplasty and microfracture LFC

Offline psych_kt

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
Re: Sports are like a drug...
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2010, 11:50:46 PM »
I was until my knee finally decided to just stop working back in March (it gave out and then I could barely put weight on it because it would just collapse on me). However, my orthopedic doctor has promised me I will run and do sports again so I'm day dreaming of that while I wait for my knee to recover from the surgery. My PT isn't so sure but I'm determined!!! I love all sorts of sports and would die if I couldn't at least run! The real question is whether I will be snowboarding this winter... hehehe

Katie

Offline Snowy

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 93
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2010, 01:36:15 AM »
No kidding! I'm three days away from cold turkey (ACL reconstruction) and so far this week have climbed one mountain on foot, one by bike, and swum many kilometres as I try to pack in all the activity I'll be missing for the next little while.

I did modify my activities following my last bad knee injury (gave up running and kickboxing) but that was mainly with the goal of preserving the knee function that I have in order to keep doing the things I really love, which are skiing and cycling. I was back skiing at six weeks post-ACL rupture this year, which amazed and horrified my friends in equal measure. They'll have to drag me off the slopes kicking and screaming when my knees finally give way completely...

The way I look at it is that as addictions go, this is at least one of the healthier ones. :)
Mar 11: R Biceps femoris tear (skiing)
Jul 10: ACLr (hamstring autograft)
Mar 10: L ACL rupture (skiing)
Feb 06: L partial ACL tear (kickboxing)
Dec 03: R bone edema (motorbike)
Jan 01: R patellar chip (motorbike)
May 93: R ACL sprain (hockey)
Ongoing: bilateral PFS and OA

Offline Softball247

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2010, 02:08:52 AM »
Please soome one let me know when they come up with a sports adiction group. I continue to pound my knees in the ground after 4 surgeries. I love softball at 32 and especially being a catche which is not the most smartest thing in the world. To top it off I can't wait to run my first 5k and ski. Personally I think a sports addiction is a wonderful thing to have and I'll worry about the consequences later.

Lex
1996- L knee surgery ro repair torn meniscus
1997-L knee torn acl repaired
2005-L knee surgery to remove scar tissue and lateral meniscus
2008-L knee lateral menisectomy
2010-L knee lateral menisectomy and chondroplasty
2015-L knee lateral menisectomy,chondroplasty, and partial synovectomy

Offline tenisfan

• Regular Poster
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2010, 02:46:42 AM »
Me too 4 surgeries later i can not give up my teaching tennis which is the worst for knees, there is just something inside of us, plus i love being outdoors, it is my sanity, i went almost bonkers when i was out 8 months after this last surgery, eveyone told me to stop but nope wont do it, so until my knees totally give out i will continue to do it :)
2006 right knee surgery, meniscus
2008 left knee lateral release,  meniscus
2009 microfracture left knee, lateral meniscus,  fragment
2009 cartilage transplant oats
2010 loose fragment removal, meniscus fraying,found another defect
2010 oats failed, synvesic injections ,2011 right knee meniscus

Offline will1129

• Regular Poster
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2010, 03:48:38 AM »
Yeah...my knees are ruined and I'm pretty upset that I'll never get to play sports again. Bball and Ultimate Frisbee were my favorite sports to play and now I can barely throw the frisbee outside.

It's sad; I feel like I took everything for granted when I used to be really active.
Deeply regret having knee surgery...hoping it can be fixed.

Offline Kaputt_Knee

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 75
  • [Ed: Sue sadly passed away in 2016]
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2010, 06:37:25 AM »
Well for those of you just embarking on the knee journey let me tell you that there is another side to the wide, rough ocean of rehab! you just have to keep the faith!

I'm no spring chicken - the big 60 kicks me in the butt this October but I am skiing again and will be representing myself in November for my license as an Austrian ski instructor. I am also flying my paraglider from the Alps as well as being winched into the air from the ground. The landings have to be the easiest part, if I am coming in too fast, I lift my legs and land on my backside as my harness has 25cm of dense close-cell foam and a kevlar back protector in it! Not very dignified but who cares!

I am also enjoying sailing (small racing dinghies) cycling and mountain walking (as I live in the Austrian/German Alps it would be a shame not to!)

So keep the faith and keep on rehabbing correctly - as Feeny says, it becomes a way of life guys!  ;D ;D ;D ;D

Sue  ;)

1989 big trauma R. knee - sorted
1990-2004 3ACL recons and 20+ arthroscopies -RK
3/06 LK ACL torn!
4/06 ACL recon, kneecap broken
09 &10/06- 2x meniscus trims
3/07 - Notch Plastic & Lateral Release
14/8/08 complete revision ACL plus LCL/PLC recon
6/2/09 returned to skiing! Whoopee

Offline kneesurgeonvictim

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2010, 10:17:40 AM »
Having experienced an unexpected loss of mobility after surgery which led to the impossibility of playing a sport I had loved for 40 years, which gave me a rasion d'etre, which gave me a sense of identity and around which my social life was based, I would compare the sense of loss of one's ability to play one's sport as being a grieving process in which there is depression, lethargy, an increase in stress, adverse impact on relationships etc. It's one of those things it's impossible to understand unless one has gone through it. If this process had occurred gradually and I was expecting it, I would have planned by researching other sports which put less strain on joints but still give the same buzz in terms of an adrenaline rush and the feelgood factor after a strenuous training session. There are some sports you may not have even considered. Rowing, for example, offers huge competitive opportunities andfor which training at a high level can be incredibly demanding, and the social life is great, if you live close to a rowing club - there are competitive opportunities every week of the year and rowing puts less strain on knee joints. Cycling is another sport that is less intensive on knee joints. Make a transition before your joints give out in a well ordered way, and you will have a better quality of life than otherwise.

Offline edfromny

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2010, 01:17:58 AM »
     JT,
    I played competetive sports, mostly softball, basketball,volleyball and long distance running for all of my adult life.  I finally could no longer compete no matter how many Advils I took before or after the game and any kind of distance running has not been possible for several years.  OS confirmed arthritis, torn meniscus, chondral defects in both knees. In feb 2010, I had arthroscopic surgey on my right knee to clean it up along with microfracture. I'd just like to say that in my opinion it was worth every minute of it.  If I could magically go back in time, I personally would not change a thing. The thrill of competing all those years is what made my life what it is.  That being said, moving forward, with all those memories in place, I will now do whatever I can to preserve my knees even if it means giving up some sports and replacing them with more joint friendly activities. Good Luck to you and live you life...you won't regret it.                                  ed
February 23, 2010  Microfracture rt knee FMC
February 23, 2010 meniscectomy rt knee
April 05, 2010 return to weightbearing

Offline soccer15

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2010, 01:40:55 AM »
I totally know how you feel I am in High School and I tore my acl and mcl and I had to have them both reconstructed and this past june I had to have another surgery to remove my plica, which was inflammed from playing sports year round. I totally feel that sports are a drug and Im addicted too because I am going mental not being able to play now for 10 months, so if your knees are telling you its time to stop then it is, but its all in your heart, and if you love a sport so much you will block out the pain  and just play until you can't play no more, you know what Yogi Berra says, "sports are 90% mental and the other half physical"I know it makes no sense but I have no idea my coach says it to us all the time.
Dec 20 2011 Cortisone Injection R Knee
May 11 2011 Plica Excision/Scar Tissue Removal R knee
Oct 10 2010 Sprain the the ACL graft & Bad Bone bruise to femur and Tibia R knee
June 11 2010 Plica Excision/Scar Tissue Removal R Knee
Nov 11 2009 ACL Reconstruction (hamstring autograft)
R Knee

Offline Saints21

• Regular Poster
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2010, 03:56:18 PM »
Hello!!!

I've played sports for almost all my life (big basketball and american football fan).  I had surgery 10 years ago to repair a torn meniscus and thank god it never bothered my again .. then last year (because of doing TOO MUCH EXERCISE) I began to have knee problems, and had to have mfx done (dont remember exactly were but the important word is LATERAL not MEDIAL) so I think I dodged the proverbial bullet on that one.

I got the operation to keep playing sports.. No, maybe I wont be able to play basketball in leagues any more, and run, but I really dont care.. I think its more of picking your poison .. I play flag football (retired from contact like 5 years ago) and will keep playing till I feel like retiring .. I KNOW I KNOW your knees and stuff, but I got the operation to keep playing the sport I love... Just have to rehab correctly and try not to over do it.. I mean maximum 12 games a year... thats nothing !!!!

Rest of the time I go to the gym and I can already do that so at least I've been able to resume my normal life!!! so thats a very big positive!!!!

Cheers

Offline jt801

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2010, 11:09:12 PM »
Hey saints21, i agree with you 100%-i got the mfx so i could continue to play sports. I could have lived a normal life with the symptoms i had pre-surgery but i could hardly run or jump which was unacceptable for me. Its funny how many different opinions there are on whether sports are advisable after mfx-for example my OS' PA told me that i would never want to try to run again but the OS himself told me it was OK to do whatever i wanted! Obviously i have no idea how long the mfx is going to last but i  just decided that i had been given a second chance and i'll keep feeding the addiction as long as i can!

Offline Saints21

• Regular Poster
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2010, 08:27:15 AM »
JT

for me , sports (specially football) its not a drug.. its a way life (yea varsity blues reference haha)... I dont care what any OS would say .. I will work my butt off till i am ready .. ten years ago they told me that after my meniscus surgery (removed 60% of it) i would not be able to play football anymore... 3 championships after that in 10 years...(and after scope they told me it was in perfect condition) I guess I called them on they bluff haha...... NOW, I am lucky because my injury is lateral not medial... so that gives me an advantage...

But i will never lay off sports.. its part of my life.. I already came to terms knowing that I cant play basketball anymore... and i am good at it.. (finished 3rd in scoring and 2nd in 3 points last year).. but football.. they will have to drag my off ther field...hehehhe

Thats why I always say its "mental".. what I mean by that is that your body will react differently depending on your mood.... if you are positive you body will react positive....

Again, I had the luck that it was lateral (a la jason kid)..

so, in the words of Breaking Benjamin ...

I will not bow
I will not break
I will shut the world away
I will not fall
I will not fade
I will take your breath away

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline jt801

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2010, 05:38:02 PM »
Saints 21-
I have to ask you if your lesion was in a weight-bearing area? Mine was on the lateral condyle as well, but in a weight-bearing spot. My understanding is that jason kidd's mfx was done in a non-weight bearing area which is the main factor in why he has been so successful.

Offline Saints21

• Regular Poster
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2010, 06:59:26 AM »
hi!

yea its not weightbearing... however, I had some problem below the patella also, but I 've had no problems... I''ve been playing wii fit, especially the ski game, when you have to slalom.. I can put all my weight on my knee without problems, but still very much unstable.. I still get some pain sometime, but its mostly when I am unbalanced and try to put weight on my knee

My biggest problem is that I have like a tendon close to the patella out of place, and it clicks everytime I bend the knee... no pain ... but my phisio told me that therapy and regabbing will cure that!!