Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Dislocated knee.... I think!  (Read 1049 times)

Offline mcluskey1

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Dislocated knee.... I think!
« on: May 04, 2008, 03:35:40 PM »
Hi, New to site and was looking for some advice/comment on my ongoing knee problem.

About 17 years ago I dislocated my left knee. Cant remember much about it as I was only 10, however I think I was on crutches for a bit. Over the years I have had repeat dislocation/subluxation (not to sure as the knee always returns to socket within seconds). Every time this has happened (apart from the first time) I have been OK within 10 minutes and been able to resume normal activity. I have had an arthroscope surgery almost three years ago when they had a look and good clean out. My consultant did recommend lateral release surgery, but I was getting married a few months later so I decided to postpone. After this I had no problems for 18 months (much better than before) until whilst training for new job as cabin crew I dislocated it again on an aircraft, trying to get out of the seat (think my foot got stuck). Again after 10 minutes I was OK (although lost my job...gutted). After this had some physio and returned to see my consultant and was told the physio had worked and no surgery required. That was a year ago and the left knee has not moved...Great!  But last Saturday I slipped on my wooden flooring and the right knee (my good one) dislocated.... I think, but not sure as returned within seconds. I was rolling around in agony screaming for a bit until my husband calmed me down and got me onto the sofa and gave me some pain killers. Didn't want to go to A&E on a Saturday night and as the painkillers did the trick, I decided to leave it until Sunday. 

Went to A&E Sunday morning and had x-ray, which they said was fine but maybe to swollen to tell. Was put in an immobilizer brace and given some crutches. Was then told to go to front desk and get appointment for fracture clinic, which is over a week later. 

It is now 8 days since my injury and I have fracture clinic tomorrow. I am hoping they take of the brace and encourage me to get mobile again as I have a 7 month old baby and need to get back on the move a.s.a.p.

I can move around a bit on the crutches and can put a reasonable amount of weight on the injured leg (can bend it quite well also), but to scared to try walking without crutches in case I make things worse.

Does anyone know how long it is likely to take to get mobile again and be able to walk? Don't want to run a marathon or anything just wondering when I will be able to do basic daily tasks and drive.

Would appreciate any advise!

Many Thanks x

Offline BellaVega

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Re: Dislocated knee.... I think!
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2010, 07:35:41 PM »
I think I have suffered from the same thing you have. It started when I was young, about 10 years old, and my knee would slip or pop out or dislocate. It usually happened when I was kneeling and it would just slip out. It was painful but I would always be able to pop it back into joint. It was sore for a little while and then it was OK. That was 25 years ago and I still every once in a while can feel my knee starting to slip or dislocate from kneeling or turning my leg funny. I'm always able to correct it before it happens. I've never gone to a doctor as it doesn't bother me too much but it sounds very familiar to what you are experiencing.
[Spam link removed by KNEEguru]