Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Meniscus tear - both knees???  (Read 739 times)

Offline dyfanevans

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Meniscus tear - both knees???
« on: July 05, 2010, 03:24:13 PM »
Hi,

I had a medial meniscus tear (left knee) repaired just a few days ago, and am happy that all seems to be going to plan. I actually had the same operation take place on the other knee last year (November), and have had trouble with it since. It is this knee that l need some advice with.

I still get an intermittent sore pain around the medial joint line, and, since my latest operation, the pain has intensified somewhat. It feels like a sharp pain just inside of the joint, however l have never had any locking or catching as you may expect, and l have a full range of motion.

My question is - has anyone ever had to have both medial meniscii repaired at the same time? Should l wait until the left knee is completely healed until l get the right looked at, or would it be 'safe' to get it done in around say, two months time?

I'm a competitive cyclist - l've been out of the sport since the end of last year - it would be great to get back on the bike by December...

I'd really appreciate any advice. ??? ???

Offline Renren

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
    • Facebook
Re: Meniscus tear - both knees???
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2010, 06:38:20 PM »
Hey! Well I had my right meniscus completely removed and I also need my left one cleaned up a bit, but I definitely wouldn't have chosen to do both surgeries at once. I think rehabbing one knee at a time is a lot less stressful! I was back to normal after having my meniscus removed after about 3 weeks. It's still painful as h*** but my range of motion was normal and I was walking around. SO I guess 2 months apart wouldn't be too bad  :-\
2004-ACL complete tear
2004-Complex Meniscus tear-Right knee
2008-ACL reconstruction+Meniscus reconstruction
2009-Meniscus removal (100% on right knee)
2010-Waiting for a meniscus transplant :P