Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: LPFL reconstruction, derotational tibial osteotomy  (Read 8260 times)

Offline crankerchick

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 26
  • How 'bout them Cowboys!
    • Derotation osteotomy & TTT Post-op diary
Re: LPFL reconstruction, derotational tibial osteotomy
« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2010, 04:19:21 AM »
No lie, the physical therapy will be tough tomorrow, but it's something to look forward to. It's you taking control of your rehab. Half of conquering this crap is getting your mind to get out of the way of your body. It's no different than playing sports. The mental game is important. Your mind is saying man this is going to hurt but you just have to turn it off and press through. You will be fine. Maybe take a pain pill before hand :-)

This is KG, there's no such thing as whining here. If there is one place to go to whine, it is here.

You just had your leg broke in half a week ago and parts of your own tissue used to put a ligament in your knee back together. I'm pretty sure that is supposed to hurt :-)

As for the emotions, LOL, who are you telling, this whole thing is an emotional rollercoaster! Sorry hon, but you aren't special in that regard! :-)
This is every bit mental as it is physical in my opinion. Just have to be patient and find the balance and focus on the bigger picture that eventually the knee with be great!
Mar '07 - plica excision
Oct '09 - femoral + tibial derotational osteotomy & TTT
Aug '10 - hardware removal
"You control your leg. Don't let it control you." -Smart trainer
"Get your a$$ in gear and go for it! Nothing will happen until you make it!" -Smart doctor

Offline crankerchick

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2010, 04:21:16 AM »
That was too many smileys for one post. smiley fail...
Mar '07 - plica excision
"Get your a$$ in gear and go for it! Nothing will happen until you make it!" -Smart doctor

Offline acheek71

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2010, 04:39:54 AM »
Thanks, Crankerchick  :) LOL

Offline acheek71

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #18 on: July 07, 2010, 12:32:45 AM »
Had my first PT locally today.  I think it went surprisingly well.  I was disappointed that I had lost 10 degrees in my bend.  Of course, I took a pain pill before I went, so I was emotional.  When he told me I had lost some bend, I lost it!!  He measures it differently than the other PT, so at first he told me my bend was 97 degrees.  That was before we had done anything.  Then by the end it was 110, so I was a bit more upbeat.  Attempted an SLR.......ATTEMPTED!!!  It will get there!!  It felt like their was alot more tightness in the back of the knee, and down the IT band, more than normal.  The pain in the tibia kept me from doing a few of the exercises, the pain where the plates/screws are was rough.  Tried the bike.  Didn't do much, no full resolutions, but it was a start!  The leg did feel better when it was all over, so I was excited!

Other than that, today was ok.  I had more pain in the actual patella when I woke this morning....which is a first.  Before, the pain was mostly in the tibia....or maybe the tibia pain was just overbearing!   And I have this bruise down my outer thigh that is killing me!  It hurts to even move the leg.  Hoping the bruising will be gone soon! It is getting more colorful, though!

Well, It has been 3 hours since PT, and the knee is not real happy.  Hope it gets better before tomorrow, have another PT at 10:30 in the morning!

Offline crankerchick

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #19 on: July 07, 2010, 02:57:45 AM »
No pt I have ever had measures ROM the way Ed and Alan do it so I too was kind of mad when mine measured less than the 120 degrees I left the hospital with. The doc had previously told me to compare to the "good" leg so I was content with that.

The SLR will come soon, just keep trying. If you can have someone help you get it started, sometimes that's all you need to remind the leg and brain how to work together to do it. I will email you some things that helped me get it finally. For me it seemed my hip was what was keeping me from doing it and you don't have that so yu should be good.

Isn't the bruising amazing (and annoying)?! Bruising and soreness in places you wouldn't even think would hurt LOL.

You are doing good! Keep it up. Tomorrow you will tell us you got the bike all the way around :-)

Just one smiley this time. Smiley win!
« Last Edit: July 07, 2010, 03:02:04 AM by crankerchick »
Mar '07 - plica excision

Offline acheek71

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #20 on: July 09, 2010, 03:30:38 AM »
Today is day 8 post op.  Did not sleep but maybe 3 hours last night.  I just cannot get comfortable.  Hoping tonight will be better.  The swelling has gone down quite a bit, and the thigh bruise does not hurt as bad.  But unfortunately the pain has all moved to the tibia area, very tender to the touch.  And now, the blood rush is located about 4 inches above the inside ankle area when I get up.  The calf is very very tight.  Tried to stretch it out today, but still tight.

Had a bit of a rough crutch day.  We got a ton of rain, and I was worried about the pool pump, so I went outside on the back porch with my mom as she went to unplug the pump.  On the way in, I had water on my crutches and we have stained concrete floors......I guess you can put the rest together!  The crutch went one way and the leg went the other....thank goodness I did not crash completely.  It was just enough to kill the tibia area. 

Got a thorough talking to by my husband about how I do not need to worry about anything but my leg.  It's hard to ignore everyday life.  Hopefully sleep is in my future for tonight, with hopes of a better day tomorrow!

Offline crankerchick

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #21 on: July 09, 2010, 01:47:04 PM »
Well since your husband has already gave you the riot act, I will only say girl please be careful! No need to be messing up doc's work of art and your chance to get your knee life back on track when you have people to help you! It is hard to ignore everyday life, but think of this is as your vacation from everyday life. You have an excuse to do nothing. Take it!

That said, everyone has a near miss or two. I had one where I slipped trying to stand up. To keep myself upright, I ended up with all of my weight on my leg (and I ain't a little lady).

For sleeping, what helped me was I got one of those wedges for my back and then I used a ton of pillows stacked up under both legs. I'm not a back sleeper at all and the first 2 weeks were just awful. My back hurt along with my leg. I was a crutching zombie. Once I got the wedge, my back stopped hurting and once I did the pillows under both legs I actually started sleeping better. I still only slept 2-3 hours at a time, and then I would wake up and watch tv and stretch and move my leg until I fell back to sleep again but it was better than waking up every 45 minutes and feeling like crap too.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2010, 01:48:57 PM by crankerchick »
Mar '07 - plica excision

drmark

« Reply #22 on: July 09, 2010, 03:57:02 PM »
FYI, at this point there is no longer a real reason to sleep with the knee absolutely straight, and the foot elevated eight inches above the heart.  Just do what is comfortable.

Offline acheek71

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #23 on: July 09, 2010, 11:34:53 PM »
Dr. Sanders, you just made my day!!!  Thank you, thank you!!!!  Hopefully I can find a comfortable position now!!!

And I know to be careful,  it's just hard to sit on your hind end all day long.  Today the blood rushes haven't been as bad, so I'm hoping they are coming to an end.  Can they come back once they are gone?  The mobility has dropped alittle bit today, hoping it is just temporary.  This is the first day the pain has been tolerable....and I actually took a nap today!!!   Hoping tomorrow is even better!!

Offline smartdriver

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #24 on: July 11, 2010, 12:47:13 AM »
I've had two tibial osteotomies.  For me what worked the best was acupuncture.  It helped with the pain, swelling, bruising, sleeping, etc.  I went twice a week for about 3-4 weeks and each time I felt like I could run a marathon when I left!  (Of course, I am a rebel and prefer to do my own thing when it comes to rehab, etc.   ::)  I did go to PT, but "fired" the therapist as 1)I was bored and 2) I felt like they really weren't doing anything that I couldn't do myself at home and at the gym.

You are SO lucky that you have people to do things for you.  Once I got back home, I was on my own.  Back to work, cleaning, cooking, laundry - all on crutches...  I only took 5 days off of work for each surgery.  After one surgery, I had a training class the next week, so less than a week after surgery, I'm truckin' off to class.  On the other surgery, I went to Vegas less than 2 weeks after surgery.  (flying was the pits, but oh well....I was determined to go!)

The "best" part was a month after one of the surgeries, I went on vacation (by myself).  I was staying on the 8th floor of the hotel when the fire alarm went off.  So, do I burn down with the hotel or crutch down 8 flights of stairs?  I chose to crutch down the stairs.  I met some wonderful people from Australia on the way down - they stayed with me the whole time.  About the time I reached the 3rd floor, I mis-crutched and landed on my surgery leg - crap!  Oh well, suck it up, keep smiling and keep going.  I did take the elevator back up when all was cleared  ;D

Things will definitely get better.  It seems like the 4 week mark was a major turning point for me.  It was almost as if one day, you just "get it" and you can do the SLR's, etc. then you wonder what happened and why did it take so long to do it right.

I'm now biking over a hundred miles a week and I've modified my biking to do rest-based training workouts (which is kind of similar to sprints).  I also do upper body weights while I bike.  Might as well get the most advantage I can of the time.  So, my motto has become (thanks to the rest-based training) "Push till you can't, rest till you can".  Some of the guys at the gym have "accused" me of "riding the bike into the dirt"!

All this and I am in my 50's!!!!  Of course, 50 is the new 40!!!!    ;D

Offline acheek71

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #25 on: July 16, 2010, 04:23:30 AM »
Sorry it seems like I fell off the face of the planet!!  It's hard to get motivated to post when you're not progressing like you would hope.  I know that this takes time to heal, I'm just terribly impatient. 

I am now 16 days post op.  Finally did a full revolution on the bike today....even if it was backwards!!  I told my therapist I wasn't getting off until I did it.  For some reason, not sure if its where my hamstring is attached to the tibia, or some other tendons but behind my knee hurts when I try to do a cannonball, etc.  It actually keeps me from bending it past a certain point, like its in a bind.  The therapist massaged it today, and I could actually bend it alittle farther without the excrusiating pain that I had been experiencing.  The knee was a bit more swollen today also, hoping tomorrow is a better day!  Hoping the pain is less tomorrow also.

Will try to post more tomorrow, getting late!

And thank you smartdriver!!  You are an inspiration!! I thought 50 was the new 35!!!! ;)

Offline crankerchick

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #26 on: July 16, 2010, 09:27:19 PM »
Hey now, try not to get discouraged. Patience is a virtue or some junk :)

Congrats on getting the full backwards revolution! Just keep working it, keep trying! Just have to work through the pain. I know, easier said than done, but doc wouldn't have us riding the bike and all the other exercises as part of the rehab if he didn't think the limb could handle it.

Sometimes you just have to tell the physical therapist to go away and let you do your thing LOL. Thankfully my therapist in Atlanta wasn't the type to tell me to ease up if it hurt. If anything, I had to constantly remind him of some things I wasn't allowed to do.

I think my knee pretty much lived swollen from about age 14 so I guess I didn't pay much attention to the swelling post-op. Even though I didn't have work done in the knee itself, my knee was definitely swollen after the surgery. But as to when it started to get better, I can't even tell you. I'm so used to seeing one leg larger than the other I don't pay it much mind.

The last thing is remember some of this stuff doesn't happen over night. It takes days sometimes weeks for some things to improve. The important thing is to just keep working everyday doing the exercises and riding the bike and then get your rest and elevation time too.
Mar '07 - plica excision

Offline smartdriver

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #27 on: July 17, 2010, 05:43:23 PM »
Inspiration???!!!  I don't consider myself an inspiration, but I'll definitely take the compliment!!!  ;D

The bike will come in time - just keep working at it.  Remember, just do what you can, go at your own pace.  Everyone recovers/rehabs differently. The main thing is just keep at it. And unfortunately, there will be swelling and pain involved.

My knee was swollen for a few weeks.  And then one day it was "Wow!  I've got a knee again!"  My leg still swells somewhat - even almost 4 months after surgery.  And at times, my ankle will still have that "sprained ankle" type feeling.  I still can't do leg weights so that's probably why I bike so much.  I'm a goal oriented type, so I've got my "project plan" of things I want to do and what I need to do to get there - it's just being able to do them (ok, so I've had to make a few adjustments).  I love to inline skate and there are some trails in northern Idaho/Washington that I am aiming to skate next year - 140 miles of skating bliss!! But I am determined that I'll get there!!!

Offline acheek71

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #28 on: July 17, 2010, 09:43:40 PM »
Thank you guys!!!  I'm trying!!  Went to my GP this past week to have my incision looked at and to get this rash looked at.  He said my incision looks great.....of course, and that I can get in the pool!!  My PT said I could start rehab in the pool when the incision was good. I'm still hesitant though.  Hoping I can find the nerve tomorrow, and can start practicing SLR's in it.  I think the thing that it holding me back the most, is that I tried to do one the other day and when I tightened the knee I got the most excruciating pain under the knee cap.  Hoping maybe it just needs a few more days of healing. 

I can actually make out that I gave knee cap today!!!!  So that's progress!  But I'm getting these sharp, burning, stinging pains where the plates are.  Just every once in awhile.  And my ankle throbs on occasion. 

I catch myself starring at my leg in amazement!  Can't wait to do more next week!!! 

Offline crankerchick

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #29 on: July 18, 2010, 12:52:06 AM »
Hey you!

Good to hear you have the ok to use the pool. Don't be hesitant! It's another tool you have at your disposal to help you get better! How bad can it be anyway?! The whole point of the pool is to take weight off so you can do things. Getting out will likely suck, but worth it at the same time if that makes sense.

As for the pain behind the patella, oh yes I know that pain well. I had it from the start just trying to clench the quad and then when I could finally do an SLR too. I don't know what hurt more, the pain while clenching the quad or the pain when releasing it. It all sucked donkey balls. But it's just something you have to push through. It will get better as you do it.

I know it hurts, why wouldn't I, I've been there too! But really, it gets better. As you do it and over time as you rebuild strength, it gets better and it definitely hurts less. Just have to get over that initial hump.

Every doctor has their own approach to post-op rehab. You got yourself a kickass doc that will tell you your body can handle a lot more than you think. I'm pretty sure he's also pretty confident in his skills in making your leg able to withstand the exercises he throws at it. So you just gotta trust him and your body to get you through. Tell your mind to get lost! And tell the pain to kiss your backside! I'll tell you something Ed told me when I was out there. It's your leg. You control it. Don't let it control you.

Cheering you on!
Mar '07 - plica excision

support