Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Lateral Release...Is it worth it??  (Read 5908 times)

Offline aaa

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 1
Re: Lateral Release...Is it worth it??
« Reply #30 on: May 18, 2012, 02:46:10 PM »
Ok, I'm sorry for bringing up all the stats and arguments about the LR.  The post is titled 'lateral release ... is it worth it??' :), so I guess I will have to say I don't know, I don't think anyone can answer this.

If you've absolutely decided to go ahead with this, then of course, you have to keep positive and look forward to the best outcome. 

I've had the LR done.  The first little while is difficult, but about the 4 or 5 month mark, thats typically when you should start seeing a difference.  It takes a while for the quads to start working again and for the swelling and incision to heal up.  A lot of cases will bounce back even earlier than that, I was lucky to have all swelling gone and full ROM at month 2. 

Your OS will probably have you working ROM early on, just follow their directions.  I think with the LR, you just want to take it a day at a time and understand it is potentially a bit of a long haul, with the first few months being a bit slow. 

Don't get frustrated if the quads take some time to return.  My OS, after evaluating the knee post LR felt it would be necessary to wear a brace or neopreen sleeve to keep the kneecap more stable, for the few months at least.  You may want to explore that early on as well - ask you OS. 

Hope it all works out!

Offline CountryGirl

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #31 on: May 20, 2012, 05:27:29 AM »
Thank you for all the info. ill keep the brace in mind. nd ii kinda took in that it would be a long haul and im gunna be stressed out for awhile since it will be summer an ill be in tons of pain instead of enjoying my last summer before college. the OS told me to ask for 6 weeks off work for this operation. idk iv read so much online that 6 weeks isnt going to be enough unless im like a super star healer but who knows. at my jjob im on my feet the entire time. i work at Sheetz not sure if your familar with them or not. but its deff not a job you sit at. and they also have told me that to be able to go back to work the slip has to say no limitations...wich i dont see how thats gunna work bcuz sometimes they have us lift heavy things and wat not. and i dont see how after just 6 weeks ill be able to stand for 8 hrs straight. i asked for short shifts the first few weeks and they refused them. so i may possibly end up losing my job. so im already stressed to no end.

Offline aaa

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #32 on: May 20, 2012, 06:19:45 PM »
CountryGirl,

6 weeks isn't a long time but if the LR is done for the right reasons, then your recovery should - in theory - go faster.

If you've taken due diligence to rule out other treatments, and have taken into account indications and contraindications for the LR you shouldn't feel too apprehensive about the surgery.

My prior posts were very 'anti-LR' because I've seen so many failures and misdiagnosis.  And typically I read posts here that sound like the patient puts all the onus on the Doctor and wanting a quick fix to their pain and for it just to end, just closing their ears to anything they don't want to hear ... but in reallity the patient is ultimately responsible for using their own reason and agreeing to treatment.

My recovery has been faster when I was able to get a lot more sleep and eat well, and keep the stress down in my life.  Those thinigs really go a long long way to recovery.  You would be surprised how much sleep factors into this, getting a good rest really does make a great difference.  The nutritional part matters a lot too.

If your Doctor prescribes pain meds, my advice is to take them as allowed.  Pain can inhibit muscles and you want to keep that under control.

Lifting heavy boxes and moving a lot at work might be a challenge, but discuss with your OS.  He needs to know about this, and understand what your short and long term goals are.  At the very least, and the end of the work day get as much rest as you can.  Other than PT you may want to use adjunct therapies such as accupuncture, and keeping swelling under control with RICE.

support