Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Hate my doctor!  (Read 1362 times)

Offline Stiflersmom

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Hate my doctor!
« on: July 02, 2010, 03:24:34 PM »
It's been one hell of a week...

I joined the patella fracture group a week ago Tuesday when I tripped off a curb, twisted my left ankle and fell hard on my right knee.  Somehow, people helped me to my car and I was able to drive home.  However, an hour later, I was unable to get up.  Hubby came home and got me to the urgent care where I heard the good news that my ankle was just badly sprained...and the bad news that my patella had a horizontal fracture.  We left with referrals to a few local area OS's, but only found one office that could see us the next day.  The urgent care doctor had given me a weak vicodin prescription, so I had a sleepless night.

I noticed immediately at the OS was surprised to see us...wondering how we got in so quickly.  He mumbled something about new front office help.  After examining me, he recommended the surgery to repair the break with pins and wires and said the office would help us schedule the surgery.  He asked what pain medication worked for me and I said I had taken percocet a few years back for some major surgery and it had worked well..I told him I didn't like to take vicodin due to the side affects.  Well, he looked at me like I was asking for heroin.  He said he didn't prescribe anything that strong..suggested I try Tylenol 3??  Now mind you, I don't have a lot of knowledge about pain pills or knee surgery - my first time.  I am a 49 year old woman in reasonably good shape.  I had been going to the gym daily...working hard to hit 50 in style.   But I was scared and in a ton of pain and, of course, intimidated by my doctor.  I thought, gee...I guess knee surgery must not be a painful procedure if he thinks I don't need anything stronger.  HA!

Last Friday was the surgery...an hour or so later when coming out of the anesthesia, I woke up to the WORST pain imaginable.  I've broken bones, had babies, surgeries on internal and external parts, etc..  Nothing compared to this.  Luckilly, the nurse in the surgery center caught the anesthesiologist and had him do a femoral nerve block.  Yes, the nurse.  Apparently the doctor was there completing paperwork and undoubtedly writing me another Tylenol prescription.  I mean...?  As we were leaving, the nurse was cautioning that the block would wear off in 10+ hours and that we should be firm with the doctor that I needed a stronger medication.  Hubby called doctor, and he refused.  Offered another prescription for darvocet.  Sidenote:  hubby picks up darvocet that doctor had called in and is told that I am "red flagged" by the pharmacy. What?  Still don't know what or how that happens- maybe because of the 3 med a in two days.

All I can say is that for 72 hours I was sobbing in pain, unable to eat, sleep, etc.  After a trip to the ER and an IV with dilaidid, I finally got some relief and sleep. The rest of the week has definitely been manageable, but still much pain and fitful sleep.  I am so paranoid about knee pain, I am terrified to move too much.  Needless to say, muscles haven't been used in my right leg much and are spasming constantly.  And my poor left sprained ankle has had it:(. Crap...feel like I've aged 10 years this past week.

My follow-up appointment is today.  I physically tremble thinking about this doctors arrogance denying me appropriate pain medication.  Btw, he told my husband to take me to a pain management clinic as an option...Friday night at 6pm.  Thanks for the concern doc.

Wish me luck...maybe the physical therapist will make up for the doctors lack of bedside manner.   

Offline TwoBadKneesUSA

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • No matter how bad it is, my dog still loves me!
Re: Hate my doctor!
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2010, 04:10:17 PM »
So sorry to hear you are in so much pain.  Tylenol 3 for bone pain?  Eh yeah.....

Unfortunately there are many OS's out there that are wary of prescribing narcotic pain medication.  These are considered a controlled substance and some are scared of prescribing too much.  When my OS does not seem to be working the pain management enough, I call my PCP.  Percocet is a class II drug and you need a hand written script each time you fill it, which may be why he did not want to prescribe it.  It does not help your pain I know, but I would try your primary doc. Call and explain what is happening.  A chat with the phamacy would be a good idea too.  They do have to report these types of drugs when they go out, so the 3 scripts in a few days may trigger something in their system.

Pain management after a surgery can be tricky and some docs are not very good at it.  Hope you are feeling less painful soon.
'83 lt knee scope
'88 lt knee LR
'89 rt knee LR (6 mos. after left)
'05 rt knee scope (clean up)
7/5/07 - scope, LR left, right clean
3/19/08 - LR failed, Supartz failed
http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=47974.0
8/21/08 - new OS apt
8/5/09 - TTT, LR, PFJR sched.

Offline will1129

• Regular Poster
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2010, 08:33:35 PM »
I hope you feel better...I like your name though haha.
Deeply regret having knee surgery...hoping it can be fixed.

Offline tez27

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2010, 09:05:08 PM »
So sorry your having such a hard time with pain, and sorry I cant do or say anything to make you feel better, but thought I would just jump in to say, when you need to get it all off your chest about how you feel then come on here and have a good old moan about your very uncaring doctor.
Sending some healing hugs your way (((((hugs)))))
Taje care Tez
L K injured 25th June 2008
scope Jan 5th 10
diagnosis ACL rupture
fiberous band excised from acl
ACLr July 19th 2010  scope on 24th Sept 2011
ACL has failed incorrect tunnel placement
23rd July 2012 1st stage of a 2 stage ACL revision
10th May 2013 2nd stage ACL revision

Offline Stiflersmom

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2010, 11:37:39 PM »
 I am stunned by my visit today.  I am on crutches and have a leg brace at one week after a screw placed in my kneecap.  Because my doctor denied me any proper pain medication, I was in bed unable to eat or sleep for 72 hours after surgery, only able to get up and around the past few days.  In the past 48 hours., I have taken 3 darvoset.  I thought I was doing pretty well.  Imagine my surprise when my lovely doctor said that I should be walking without crutches, in no pain, and much more chipper.  In his experience, he said that my "type" with an extremely low pain tolerance and a "need" for narcotics usually develops chronic pain syndrome and has a terrible outlook for recovery. ??  All this because I dared to ask for percocet before and right after my surgery.

What motivation could he possibly have to be so insulting?  My husband was shocked to hear him say that and told him so.  Believe me, I am NOT interested in spending any more time on crutches...I want to drive and get back to the gym asap...I am not the type to be dependent on anyone.  And seriously, no instructions were given for any exercise or movement during this past week...only rest, ice, and wearing my brace.  I'm stunned...

Offline tenisfan

• Regular Poster
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2010, 02:17:25 AM »
Is there anyway you can go to someone else? no one should be treated this way,especially after surgery :)
2006 right knee surgery, meniscus
2008 left knee lateral release,  meniscus
2009 microfracture left knee, lateral meniscus,  fragment
2009 cartilage transplant oats
2010 loose fragment removal, meniscus fraying,found another defect
2010 oats failed, synvesic injections ,2011 right knee meniscus

Offline Plumb

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 6
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2010, 03:04:13 AM »
You could ask for Ultram and see how that flys.. other than that..   If you need to go to a pain management doctor  why not.. your in pain...  Not sure if you can ice .. but that sure helps the pain.   

If you do not like your doctor ask him to refer you to another doctor who can handle post op.

Offline TwoBadKneesUSA

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2010, 05:10:24 AM »
Wonder what he would feel like after knee surgery.  Um..sounds like there was bone work here and that is really painful  I would agree with going to another doctor.  It may not be easy to do since you are so soon from surgery.  Maybe someone else in the practice?  No one should be treated that way.

'83 lt knee scope
'88 lt knee LR
8/21/08 - new OS apt

Offline Stiflersmom

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2010, 07:43:48 PM »
I agree...I do not want to see this guy again.  I have worked so hard over the past few days to be more active, stretching, etc., and only using Tylenol during the day and one darvocet (even tho I hate it, it's the best I have) in the evening.  I admit, he pissed me off so much that I am committed to show him how wrong he is.  This in itself has made me achier than ever...haha...ugh!

Seriously, WTF is this guys deal?  I think he is prejudice against middle aged, menopausal women.  I am not working now, he assumes I never worked ( i worked in the banking industry for 30 years) I think he is stereotyping me.  Either that, or he is trying to cover his ass because he knows he didn't give me the appropriate care.  If it was just his refusal to prescribe percocet to me, I would be resentful and angry, but I'd get over it.  It's his accusations of me that make it so repulsive..I don't deserve that:(

Offline TwoBadKneesUSA

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2010, 03:02:27 PM »
Totally agree.  You can respect a protcol, but to be accused is not right at all.  Good luck to you though.
'83 lt knee scope
'88 lt knee LR
8/21/08 - new OS apt