Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: what is this?  (Read 843 times)

Offline ronsmith

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
what is this?
« on: July 02, 2010, 01:42:43 AM »

Just had my knee scoped and as you can see the orthopedic had lots of clipping to do.
Wont know if it relieved my pain for awhile but I had a question for you.
As I was in recovery doc gave these pictures to my wife and she said that he said the dark area in the bottom left photo (marked by ?) was arthritis.
Now this is what I don't get... isn't all joint problems "arthritis"? Just saying "arthritis" does not tell me what that dark stuff is?
How bad is it?
Am I doomed? LOL
Any idea?
I'm 68 years old.

Maybe image sizes are limited here.. if so here is the link
http://i926.photobucket.com/albums/ad110/camper92663/knee.jpg?t=1278030867

Offline Lottiefox

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 16
Re: what is this?
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2010, 08:45:57 AM »
I'm no doctor but I'd say that area is where the cartilage has worn away completely and that is the exposed underlying bone - hence why the doctor called it arthritis. Arthritis means that the cartilage is thinning and eventually it will thin to a point that bone is exposed (grade 4 damage) and when its frayed and cracked but still covers the bone it is grade 3. Many people have cartilage that is gone and the bone is exposed - this can be through sudden trauma or general wear and tear. Cartilage in itself doesn't hurt so it may not cause pain - the bone can certainly cause pain especially if there is no cartilage on the bit opposite where its worn out - the saying of bone of bone. Looks like your doc has done some tidying up and will have washed out all of the crud and loose bits - may well relieve your pain but it does depend on the type of pain you had prior to surgery and how restricted you were.

Hope things improve from the scope!

Lottie  :)
Bilateral patella OA since 2009, no surgeries.
Euflexxa working well x3 to current
Right forefoot CRPS post fusion surgery 2011
Refusing to let the ailing parts stop me....

Offline ronsmith

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2010, 05:35:34 PM »
I don't think there was ever any cartilage there.
I think the cartridge (miniscus) is the thin crescent between the upper (fermur)  and lower (tibea) joints.
In other words this is a photo looking in from the side in, standing like.
You can see the spurs in the cartilage that he had to cut out.
So this doesn't explain the dark bone

I could be totalyl wrong

Offline ronsmith

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2010, 05:50:28 PM »
I don't think there was ever any cartilage there.
I think the cartridge (miniscus) is the thin crescent between the upper (fermur)  and lower (tibea) joints.
In other words this is a photo looking in from the side in, standing like.
You can see the spurs in the cartilage that he had to cut out.
So this doesn't explain the dark bone

I could be totalyl wrong

Lottie you were right. I was not looking at the pictures correctly.
Just as an update I had a knee replacement four years ago (right knee). It was I think they call an "oxford"... half a knee really.. the inside.
That knee had gone bone-to-bone so scoping it was of no value. You could see the bones touching in the ex ray.
This time I didn't wait so long and as soon as it started hurting I went in for exam.. lots of cartridge left so it was probably those spurs sticking out.
Rehab this time is going to to be easy compared to replacement surgery. Went for first rehab yesterday.
I am down 15 pounds and hope to take 20 more off the knee that is left.