Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Hyper-extending my leg(s)...  (Read 2598 times)

Offline psych_kt

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Hyper-extending my leg(s)...
« on: June 30, 2010, 11:28:20 PM »
I'm 6 weeks out from having a Fulkerson and Quad Transfer (I believe is the name) on my left leg. During my PT, my physical therapist has been pointing out to me how I'm hyper-extending my legs. This is not a new problem that popped up after my surgery. She is particularly concerned with the fact that I'm hyper-extending my recovering leg while attempting to walk without the immobilizer because she says it is worse since I do not have all of my quad control back yet. Has anyone else dealt with this? Do you have any tips on how to avoid hyper-extending? I just got my knee fixed, the last thing I want is to damage it another way! I know hyper-extending is bad but I do it so subconsciously that I'm finding it hard to not do it. Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Katie

Offline KW

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
  • My new PFJR...Love It!!!!
Re: Hyper-extending my leg(s)...
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2010, 11:32:07 PM »
For me it is common after surgery...always caused by muscle weakness.  I found if I focused on my quad contraction while walking it would happened less.

Karen
Right Knee
2000 - 2002 - Scope,LR,TTT,Unscrewed
01-10-12 - PFJR

Left Knee
04/07 TTT/LR
08/07 Bone Grth Stim
10/07 Loose/Bent Screw
1/08 Unscrewed/MRI~NON-UNION
02/19/08 Lt  TTT Revision W/Graft
12/09/08 Scope
05/15/09 Scope
09/04/09 PFJR/Unscrewed

Offline psych_kt

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2010, 11:43:12 PM »
Thanks Karen, I will definitely try that!

Katie

Offline anniehine

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2010, 10:40:20 AM »
Hi Katie,

I had/am still having the same problem.  I had a trochleoplasty in Feb and when I saw my OS he said I needed to try and not hyperextend (didn't even know I was!)  I think it is quite a common problem especially following major knee surgery and as Karen says has a lot to do with quad control (which I have had trouble building up). 

My OS told me this:  when you stand normally, make your knees lock (hyperextend) and then bend them a few degress until their straight and then do tiny one legged squats and make sure each time you go back to the 'slightly bent' stance. Repeat this every time you're standing to teach your brain where your knee *should* belong.  I had a really hard time working out what was straight (without hyperextnding) and what was actually a bit bent.  Try using a full length mirror side on to see what looks straight.  It's hard I know!  Hope this helps a bit.
Left knee started dislocating at 7 years old
Hypermobile
Arthroscopic scope April 2009
Trochleoplasty at 28 years old (10.2.10)
Did 1st SLR 1.4.10 WHOOP!!
Walked through house without crutches (12.4.10) very pleased with myself!!

Offline psych_kt

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2010, 06:19:59 PM »
Hi Annie,

Thanks for the suggestion! I will definitely try that too. I didn't know I was hyper-extending either, but apparently I do it in both legs (the one I had surgery on and my "good" leg too)! I used to be a dancer (a long time ago when my knee problems were more tolerable lol) and I know hyper-extension is common among dancers too. I am realizing I have no clue what straight is because I've been hyper-extending so long. Between your suggestion and Karen's I hope I can re-teach myself!

Katie

Offline anniehine

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2010, 06:51:55 PM »
My OS seemed to think that it is really common in girls regardless of injury or career, he said that girls have a tendency to "hang" on the backs of their knees (hyperextending) which is bad for your knees (apparently affecting the fat pad) and also very bad for the lower back. My knee used to dislocate if it was knocked when locked so i ALWAYS stood with that one bent and the 'good' leg locked.  I'm having to re-teach myself everything..pain in the bum isn't it?!

Annie.
Hypermobile

Offline psych_kt

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2010, 07:17:32 PM »
That's really interesting, I've never heard that. I knew it was bad for me but wasn't really sure what exactly it does to my knees. I haven't danced since high school, it makes me sad. My left knee always tended to dislocate just while walking or going up and down the stairs. But I understand the favoring your bad knee versus your "good" knee. It really is a pain to reteach yourself everything! Even walking takes effort and concentration!

Katie

Offline anniehine

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2010, 08:19:56 PM »
Yeah mine did too, any time of the day doing any activity (even did it getting in to my car once)! it would suddenly just pop out and I would lie screaming for a bit and then it would pop back in.  Sounds like you and I had to go through the same things.  So what exactly was wrong with yours? 

In my case the groove the kneecap sits in wasn't all groove-some was mishapen so when my kneecap hit that area it would dislocate.  I had a trochleoplasty which is when they take off your kneecap and make a proper groove for it to sit in and then put it back on again. 

Ive got very weak muscles so trying to build them up but my knee feels sooo much more stable it's brilliant!

Lets hope this is the beginning of stable times for us both eh?!
Hypermobile

Offline psych_kt

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2010, 09:20:49 PM »
For mine the patella tendon was connected on an angle toward the outside of my leg instead of straight so it was pulling my patella essentially out of place. A lot of my dislocations happened when I would bend my knee and straighten it and usually it would dislocate when bent and then I would straighten it with my hand over the knee and it would pop back in place.

I did my best to keep my quads strong even when it was impossible to walk while I was waiting for the surgery but my muscles are still really weak since my ortho did a quad transfer also to help straighten out my knee.

I know mine feels a million times more stable than it has ever felt in my life!!

Lets hope! My "good" knee will probably need the same surgery eventually too because it is only slightly better than my left knee was. But the surgery was definitely worth it!