Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: No one has replied....Has anyone had their medial plica removed?  (Read 1315 times)

Offline soccer15

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Hi there,

I had an ACL/MCL reconstrution on November 11 2009 but I just had to go back in on June 11 2010 to have my medial Plica removed. Has anyone had this done I've been going to rehab and everthing but its been feeling realy weird lately, were the Plica was taken out there is like a bubble and I can't bend it past 95 degrees. Has anyone had this happen to them? And my pt said I won't be playing soccer for another 3 months, this makes no sense my os said 4 weeks who should I belive?

Thank you so much for your helpp ;D ;D
Dec 20 2011 Cortisone Injection R Knee
May 11 2011 Plica Excision/Scar Tissue Removal R knee
Oct 10 2010 Sprain the the ACL graft & Bad Bone bruise to femur and Tibia R knee
June 11 2010 Plica Excision/Scar Tissue Removal R Knee
Nov 11 2009 ACL Reconstruction (hamstring autograft)
R Knee

Offline crankerchick

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 24
  • How 'bout them Cowboys!
    • Derotation osteotomy & TTT Post-op diary
Re: No one has replied....Has anyone had their medial plica removed?
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2010, 04:15:33 PM »
I had my medial plica removed. I don't remember any bubbly-weird feeling but I did have some pain on the medial side of course. I don't quite know what my range of motion was right after the surgery, but surely 3 weeks post-op I know I had close to full range of motion. How soon after the surgery did you start PT and start bending your knee? If you were immobilized for any amount of time that might account for the slowness to regain ROM. What does your OS say about it? Your PT?

I returned to my activities lightly around 6 weeks post-op but found some of the ones that involved jumping or deep bending I needed a few more weeks for. It took probably almost 6 months to not feel it the next day if I was jumping around a lot.

I'm no doctor or anything but in my experience 3 months is a long time to return to soccer. Maybe 3 months to feel almost 100%, but not 3 months to feel good enough to play. My doctor told me 6 weeks and it took me only a little longer to feel comfortable running, cutting, and deep bending.
Mar '07 - plica excision
Oct '09 - femoral + tibial derotational osteotomy & TTT
Aug '10 - hardware removal
"You control your leg. Don't let it control you." -Smart trainer
"Get your a$$ in gear and go for it! Nothing will happen until you make it!" -Smart doctor

Offline will1129

• Regular Poster
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2010, 10:08:39 PM »
I had mine removed...couldn't bend my knee past 90 degrees for about three months after surgery either.
Deeply regret having knee surgery...hoping it can be fixed.

Pin2Ride

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2010, 10:49:42 AM »
I had twice  plica removal  surgery during 8 months.   

First , I got Full ROM in 2 months and 2 weeks in my left knee and now back to hard sport already.  But i'm stuck with the right knee 3 months and half Post-op,then i could bend leg in 10 weeks post-op was not easy to recovery. 

The plica surgery is very tough for patients and take a long time of recovery in 6 months at top will be normal , sometime it depend on the location of plica removal in your knee ,too.

I have no  Physio here , I  take myself into PT program by a research from the internet. I'm usually to go the Fitness Room (Private gym) on the period of return to sport.

My advice on base of experience  is  No drink alcohol  , Do not overuse 'til the inflammation of fold will be gone.

Good Luck ,  ;)

Pin

PS.  if any question , plz feel free to PM ask me anytime. 

Offline kris_83

• Forum Faithful
  • the hottest thing on 1.5 legs
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2010, 11:57:10 AM »
Yup I just had this done also, on June 7. I am finding that a deep bend (like a non-weight-bearing squat, on the total gym) is still very difficult and I can't get all the way down. Also I'm still getting sharp pains on the medial side and a weird feeling similar to what you've described. Based on what my OS is telling me, this is all part of the normal rate of recovery.

I think that you should go back to activity as soon as you feel comfortable, but I'd guess that knee "fatigue" and inflammation would keep you out of playing an entire game for a while. Even on days when I don't have bad pain, my knee just feels worn out.
12/09 dx- patellar subluxation (not!)
1/10 mri- neg; PT rx failed
4/10 more PT
5/10 dx patellar hypertension
6/7/10 chrondroplasty, patellar decompression, synovectomy and plica excision
5/6/11 dx RA, sjogren's