Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: I'm Back, again. Have surgery date and not really lovin it!  (Read 1125 times)

Offline eaglemom

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
Me oh my oh - thought I might not be back on this board but I am. I'm feelin the need to complain - but don't want to do so. Its been almost 2 yrs since last surgery and the old leg hasn't been right since that surgery.  So after seeing 5 ortho's I've finally found someone who listens. Amazing isn't it. However, he doesn't love going in to "clean up" someone elses work.  In his life time he's only re-scoped 4 knees - he doesn't do it. But..............in my case he is willing to do so.

We've done cortisone, Synvic One, and several other injections. Obviously not working. Multiple xrays but when he finally sent me for an mri - well the picture became quite clear! He totally apologized.  I couldn't believe it - a othro who apologized.  He said everything pain / stiffness / limited ability wise was totally seen on the mri.  He's of course never seen a knee / leg in this shape either. Aren't I the lucky one!

Mri shows multiple cysts (to count its over 20+, look like bb's in there) on both sides of the illitobial band - which of course is rare to be on both sides, a huge poplital cyst (not bakers) about two inches down from knee cap on lateral side, scar tissue from previous surgery needs debridement, lateral menisus tear, medial menisus rip, tibial head irregularities and severe edema of surrounding area.  He said "this is a mess." We've had several long discussions as what the next step should be.  Obviously at some point I have to have these things addressed.  He is giving me a 50-50 shot of less pain.  That's not a good odd - in my opinion.  However, he says he will address all of the above items and I should have some relief - in certain areas. Frankly I'm ready to do something - damned leg / knee have determined my life for another two years and I'm tired of that.  However, I had to go to the pain, expense, etc of surgery if it does nothing for me.  Thoughts?

Of course some of my friends are less than helpful with this decision.  I do not let this issue determine my daily actives so they think I'm fine.  Hoever by night I'm totally miserable, on ice and pain meds. I want to go for a walk around the block - I can do it but the price I pay in pain isn't worth it.  I can - and do - go the gym every other day. I do the upright bike and recumbent bike & elliptical.  I have to do that or I'm even more stiff sore and miserable.  Since I do those things people don't understand why I'm thinking of having a surgery.  Gurr - can't please everyone.

Any thoughts here?  The ostho did say he wasn't sure about a pt/rehab.  I have a huge tendency to "over-do" and he doesn't want that. He knows I'd do exercises on my own.  One thing that did throw me was crutches for 6 weeks. When I questioned him about that he said he was just tossing that out as an option. I don't care - crutches don't bother me if I get results. I think he was just seeing what I would say.  Who knows. So date is set for July 9th - right around the corner.  I have my pre-op this week. And a friend say "why the hell are you doing this to yourself again? Just walk in a pool." Aren't friends wonderful!!!!! Not, sometimes.  Ok let me know what you all think. Sorry for the ramble.  Eagle

Offline TwoBadKneesUSA

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
  • No matter how bad it is, my dog still loves me!
Re: I'm Back, again. Have surgery date and not really lovin it!
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2010, 02:16:47 PM »
Eagle - You may feel crazy for going into more surgery, but if this will improve the situation I would do it.  I am the last one to want a surgery myself, so understand your feelings.  It is hard when you seem "fine" to everyone else.  For years everyone knew my knees hurt, but really did not get it.  When I could not walk without a limp and was on heavy painkillers, then they started to get the picture.  So try not to worry about those that don't understand.  Good luck with the surgery and hope your OS can clean things up enough for you to find some comfort.  Try to take things as directed and not go too hard too fast (easier said than done for sure). Anyway will be thinking about you and hoping for the best possible outcome.

Milly
'83 lt knee scope
'88 lt knee LR
'89 rt knee LR (6 mos. after left)
'05 rt knee scope (clean up)
7/5/07 - scope, LR left, right clean
3/19/08 - LR failed, Supartz failed
http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=47974.0
8/21/08 - new OS apt
8/5/09 - TTT, LR, PFJR sched.

Offline eaglemom

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2010, 02:28:08 PM »
Hey thanks for the encouraging words. Sadly I know that you and I have "chatted" here before. Today the way the leg / knee are screaming I'm ready to do the surgery NOW! Anywho, will report in tomorrow as to the pre-op. I'm ready to do this, but always have that tiny doubt. One thing is for certain this is the first step before a new knee and I'd like to put that surgery off for several years if possible. Eagle

Offline TwoBadKneesUSA

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • No matter how bad it is, my dog still loves me!
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2010, 07:59:30 PM »
I can't blame you for wanting to wait for a knee replacement.  I usually feel that doubt too and it will come and go before surgery.  You will have a day where you think "I can manage that", then you have the day where you swear that knee comes from an alien planet.  Pre-op is usually not too much fun either. 
'83 lt knee scope
'88 lt knee LR
'89 rt knee LR (6 mos. after left)
'05 rt knee scope (clean up)
7/5/07 - scope, LR left, right clean
3/19/08 - LR failed, Supartz failed
http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=47974.0
8/21/08 - new OS apt
8/5/09 - TTT, LR, PFJR sched.

Offline will1129

• Regular Poster
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2010, 09:59:28 PM »
I'm kind of in the same boat as you Eagle..I'm looking for another surgeon to find out what went wrong with my surgery I had a year ago, and possibly fix the problem. But the other doctors I've seen have been apprehensive about looking into another surgeon's work, and have basically shooed me away.

Any tips on finding a doctor would will look into it or convincing/pleading with them to do so?
Deeply regret having knee surgery...hoping it can be fixed.

Offline eaglemom

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2010, 05:14:21 PM »
Back from my pro-op. All is well so surgery next friday, July 9th.  Of course I'm having second and third thoughts but know this has to happen.  Guess I'm needing encouragement for some reason. Guess its because the ortho isn't real sure what he's going to find either.  Either way I can do this now or later - so I'm thinking do it now. Make sense?

As for finding an ortho this guy is my 5th guy. I kind of "interview" a new doctor when I go in to see if we are a good fit.  Of course when any ortho says "pain meds and rehab, you'll be fine." I walk out the door - because they aren't listening to me.  Its taken almost a year to get to this point of surgery.  He is very conservative - which is fine. We've learned how the other thinks and he's seen that I am serious about trying to not have surgery.  Meaning I've done everything he's asked and the pain is still there. Keep looking and asking people surly you can find someone to help you.  Where are you located at?

Offline will1129

• Regular Poster
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2010, 05:47:09 PM »
I'm located by New York City. I actually found a doctor who looks good, Dr. Ronald Grelsamer. He wrote a book cautioning against having knee surgery (wish I read that beforehand), and doesn't like other doctors using the term "chondromalacia." So he seems he will look into the root cause of my problems and won't recommend surgery unless absolutely necessary. Unfortunately, he's out of network for my insurance, but I might just fork over an appointment fee just to get a consultation with him.

Offline crankerchick

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 24
  • How 'bout them Cowboys!
    • Derotation osteotomy & TTT Post-op diary
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2010, 01:01:57 PM »
Unfortunately, he's out of network for my insurance, but I might just fork over an appointment fee just to get a consultation with him.
Sounds like a good bet. The Hospital for special surgery is also another place to look.
Mar '07 - plica excision
Oct '09 - femoral + tibial derotational osteotomy & TTT
Aug '10 - hardware removal
"You control your leg. Don't let it control you." -Smart trainer
"Get your a$$ in gear and go for it! Nothing will happen until you make it!" -Smart doctor

Offline will1129

• Regular Poster
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2010, 02:10:30 PM »
Yea there's another top-rated surgeon at the Hospital for Special Surgery, Dr. Russell Warren (team physician for the NY Giants also), and they do take my insurance. So I'll probably end up seeing both doctors next month. Let's hope they can help me, cause my knees are going fast...

Offline eaglemom

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2010, 02:18:11 PM »
Since you  are asking I would call and get appointments.  Insurance or not. Sometimes the wait is quite long. Then you can decide if you want to keep the apt or not, but at least get something started.  Sometimes that feels good also - you've made a step to finding out what's the real issue. eagle