Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Medial meniscus surgery  (Read 667 times)

Offline durango kid

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Medial meniscus surgery
« on: June 29, 2010, 05:28:02 PM »
Hi, I just found this board a few days ago. I'm a 58 yr old female, &  I was having pain in my right knee and I couldn't straighten it.  So, after the cordisone shot, and a couple rounds of meds my dr sent me for a mri.  The mri shows that my medial meniscus is torn all the way through (I don't fully understand).  It also shows cartlidge changes.  I was told that I have oa.  I saw the ortho on last Friday, she is sending me for blood work to see if I have ra.  She said that since I'm having the aches and pains in my wrist, hands and ankles, she want to make sure oa is all I have. I will need surgery for the meniscus tear.  I may also have a torn rotator cuff in my right shoulder.  I go back to the dr next week, at that time she will discuss my surgery and my shoulder. 

I'm a little scared to say the least. 

thanks

Offline weirdknees

• Regular Poster
Re: Medial meniscus surgery
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2010, 07:52:43 PM »
It sounds like you have a lot on your plate  :(

There's a few different types of surgery for the meniscus, it depends where the tear is and how bad it is.  I had a partial meniscectomy last week and it hasn't been too bad.  They just trimmed and smoothed out the meniscus.  It is a pretty simple arthroscopic surgery, but everyone recovers at different speeds, depending on how much was removed and if there are any other problems with your knee.  Another type of surgery is a meniscus repair, which requires a longer recovery but is better long term, however, this is usually done when the tear is on the outer part of the meniscus.  It's best to find out from the doctor what she plans to do to give you an idea of how it will be post-op.  It's very important to try and keep your muscles strong before the op, as it will make rehabilitation a lot easier.

I hope it all goes well and keep us updated!!
knee pain since very young
2008 - diagnosed with patella tilt
2010 - partial meniscectomy

Offline durango kid

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
Re: Medial meniscus surgery
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2010, 12:37:18 AM »
Thank you.  I do have a lot on my plate.  My dr want to make sure that I don't have ra before she does my knee surgery.   I'm an in home child care provider.  She told me that it would be about 2 months before I could care for children after my knee surgery.  I don't know how long the recovery time would be if I end up needing rotator cuff surgery.

I will do a lot of praying.