Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: How long after microfracture before I can walk normal?  (Read 12096 times)

Offline nursedeb

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
How long after microfracture before I can walk normal?
« on: June 26, 2010, 05:35:32 PM »
Hi
I'm two 9 weeks post microfracture and have been weight bearing for 9 days. I'm walking without pain but I'm definitely not walking normal. I'm favoring my bad knee and walking with a limp. I'm also still using one crutch. When I try to put all my weight on my bad knee and walk normal it hurts! It's not excruciating pain but it definitely doesn't feel good. My question is how long after microfracture does it take before you can walk normal without a limp and without pain?

Offline kscope09

• SuperKNEEgeek
Re: How long after microfracture before I can walk normal?
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2010, 08:00:09 PM »
I had a chrondoplasty, but before the scope I was told by teh OS that he was expecting to do mfx.  He told me it would be 12 weeks.  I had plicas taken out and a partial acl tear so it took me longer.  I could walk normally without any limp or cane at 15 weeks.  it felt awkward but everyone told me it looked normal. When you go aroundlimping for so long you actually seem to forget how to walk normal.  The best thing to do is be as relaxed as possible and take small steps.  As your leg gets stronger and your body not just your mind is more confident at walking, you will get it back but I'v heard that mfx takes a year before it feels totally normal.
Feb 08 Inurred right knee
18 months of physio, knee tracking but knee still painful
Aug 09 Scope - Small tear in acl, fragment found in postereo-lateral compartment, suprapatella and lateral plica and small defect in mfc.
May 10 Right knee feeling better but left knee causing trouble as a result o

Offline tenisfan

• Regular Poster
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2010, 11:38:29 PM »
It took a good three months, before i actually stopped having pain, it is a long process. Recovery time is about 6 months :) so give it some time, and everyone is different some people can heal quicker than others :)
2006 right knee surgery, meniscus
2008 left knee lateral release,  meniscus
2009 microfracture left knee, lateral meniscus,  fragment
2009 cartilage transplant oats
2010 loose fragment removal, meniscus fraying,found another defect
2010 oats failed, synvesic injections ,2011 right knee meniscus

Offline nursedeb

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2010, 09:37:09 PM »
Hi thanks for the responses. I've heard that the recovery is long and can take up to a year and a half. I'm trying to not baby my knee too much and walk normal. But when I do walk normal I have pain right at the site of the surgery. It's not excruciating but it's definitely there and I'm wondering does that mean that the mf failed? At what point can I expect to walk normally without a limp and without pain? Also has anyone ever heard of someone being worse off after MF ? The reason I ask is because although I had the cartilage defect before surgery at least I had some cartilage there. Now I have bone on bone with the "hope" of growing new cartilage.
Thanks

Offline kscope09

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2010, 09:51:39 AM »
What was teh location of the mfx and is it weightbearing?
Aug 09 Scope - Small tear in acl, fragment found in postereo-lateral compartment, suprapatella and lateral plica and small defect in mfc.

Offline HoovSS

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2010, 05:19:12 PM »
I had microfracture on my right knee but on the lateral femoral condyle.  If you were non weight bearing for a long time, your injury sounds medial - but that is just my guess.

I am 8 weeks post op and my surgeon told me no restrictions going forward.  I have some residual swelling which he said is normal for the first 3 months.  It may take that long for any remaining scar tissue to break down.  To get to the site for microfracture, the surgeon has to cut through healthy tissue.  So even the healthy soft tissue must repair itself and get back to a normal state. 

For me the major improvements in rehab came in week 5 when I got full passive range of motion.  Then week 7 I was able to walk pain free without a cane but still need to be careful going downstairs and on declines - more for instability than pain. 

But again our injuries sound very different.

Offline kscope09

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2010, 05:23:24 PM »
My repair was non0weightbearing but I was told to bes especially careful with stairs because theya re weightbearing through a bent knee.  The worst thing about this was that my confidence was shot and even when i got the ability to go up and down I am still really careful and apprehensive about it.

Offline cg

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2010, 07:22:28 PM »
I am 17 weeks post-op and still don't walk normal. I have a twinge of pain now and then and my knee swells when I try too much too fast. It is getting better but it is SO slow. I am anxious but am trying to be patient. Before microfracture they would just clean up the knee....a guy I know had that done in both knees (before MF was popular) and although he wears a knee brace on one knee for stability, he is playing racquetball. There is hope but we just gotta wait! Good luck.

Offline nursedeb

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2010, 09:50:26 PM »
My lesion was 1.5x2.1 and it was medial femoral condyle from what I'm hearing medial lesions take longer to recover because they are weight bearing

Offline jt801

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2010, 09:53:05 PM »
Hi deb-i was reading your last post and if your mfx was successful you should not have bone on bone contact. From what i understand the marrow clot should have turned to fibrous tissue at about the 8 week mark and should be continuing to mature into cartilage. By that i mean that your defect should have been filled immediately after surgery-the tissue just needs time to strengthen. If you have bone on bone contact then your surgery definitely failed but only an mri or another scope can confirm that.
12/99 left knee lateral release and plica removal
1/09 right knee chondroplasty and microfracture LFC

Offline Saints21

• Regular Poster
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2010, 10:29:26 PM »
JT801:

I think what deb meant was that before the surgery, she had cartilage, although damaged.... With the surgery I guess the OS "cleaned" the area removed all the cartilage and did the microfracture... So new fibrocartilage can grow..

Now that we are on the subject, I am no doctor, but are there weight bearing spots where bone and bone touch each other?!! (when I say bone to bone, obviously I mean hyaline cartilage with hyaline cartilage)...

I think it should not be that way, I mean, if that was the case them most people should have cartilage problems since the cartilage would degrade if it has a lot of contact.. I mean sports guys would destroy there knees if thats the case!!!

Cheers!

Offline jt801

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2010, 04:23:04 AM »
Yea that could be-on my scope pictures i still had cartilage "there", it was just shredded and no longer attatched to the bone-all of that was removed and i did have a quarter sized spot of bare bone. Pre-surgery, my problems didnt start until pieces started breaking loose and locking the joint up. I'm guessing that shredded cartilage was providing some cushion though. I guess we all start out with bare bone after the mfx but hopefully its very temporary!
12/99 left knee lateral release and plica removal
1/09 right knee chondroplasty and microfracture LFC

Offline Saints21

• Regular Poster
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2010, 06:49:44 AM »
Well I have the  video of my surgery and there was cartilage there, but it was almost torn off... so I guess I had the same problem .. although my lesion was dime sized I think