Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: LM PKR versus TKR........Both Sound Really Ouch !!!  (Read 1082 times)

Offline HavenDTS

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
LM PKR versus TKR........Both Sound Really Ouch !!!
« on: June 26, 2010, 01:06:02 PM »
Folks,

Does anyone have any advise on the following 3 points:

1) If an LM Allograft fails and the atricular cartlidge is reasonably okay is it worth reattempting an additional LM Allograft?
2) At 43 years young - and being very fit and active and wishing to continue that way is a PKR an option?
3) If a PKR isnt really an option and a TKR was the way to go - how long to they last as an average in a very active person?

Apologies if it appears that Im attempting to be too clinical - I suppose its just the frustration of having had 6 Ops in 2 years and feeling like there is no real end to the process that will offer me a positive outcome - well other than accepting what I have and turning myself into a couch potato?

Regards.....................:-)
1989 Lateral Meniscus Tear & Arthroscope.
2008 2 x Lateral Meniscus Tear & Arthroscope.
2009 Arthroscope & Debris Removal.
2009 LM Menaflex, MF's / Reprofiling.
2010 LM Menaflex Removal & LM Allograft
2012 LM Arthroscope
2012 Septic Arthritis & LM Allograft Removal via 2 Arthroscope
2013 LM 3D PKR

Offline Plumb

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 6
Re: LM PKR versus TKR........Both Sound Really Ouch !!!
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2010, 02:51:43 PM »

2) At 43 years young - and being very fit and active and wishing to continue that way is a PKR an option?
3) If a PKR isnt really an option and a TKR was the way to go - how long to they last as an average in a very active person?

Regards.....................:-)

A PKR/TKR  is an option you need to speak with your surgeon about and your quality of life and pain levels.  These are the surgery's of last resort.  They say that PKR may last up to five years maybe longer.   TKR's they can last up into the 30-50 year mark if your lucky..  or not..  Not to be vague  but things happen.. YOu could need a revision..  or not have a perfect first implant.   Once you start talking with your OS and seek a second set of eyes on his diagnoisis for a replacement.   You will get the understanding of what these implants can do..  They are not a device that you should do pivot sports in..  but I have seen people who start running and tennis..  And even a few who push the limits .   Than there is the flip side where things do not go as expected and folks are dealing with RSD and chronic pain and infections.

There is no magic ball to predict how your outcome will be.  When they say surgery of last resort..   I always see that candidate as you reached your lowest low.

They are ouch. BTW.   Think of eight buses hitting you ouch.

Offline HavenDTS

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2010, 08:35:27 AM »
Hi Plumb - Thank you for those comments - I suppose Im at a low point in my self really. Ive pretty much been on Crutches for the last 8 of 10 months and dont feel like Im making any progress, moving from one failed exercise to another? At some point it needs to either improve if I keep going for long enough or as I mentioned in another thread give up and sit back and do very very little and that will drive me nuts.

Im sat here today (10 weeks post op) with what I suspect is a failed recent LM Meniscus Allograft (feels the same as when the Menaflex failed in Jan 2010, the knee started to crunch/clunk/lock on Friday and I feel absolutely dispondant after being religious in following OS and PT guidelines and Im not even at 50% load bearing yet?

Ive never ever been one for self pity especially when I look at myself and remember I still have buddies in Afghanisatan and I look at what some of these young guys now adays are having to endure after serving there  >:(

Difficult decisions need to be made - go around the allograft route again? Have it all out and take my chances with no LM Meniscus and wait for the Arthritis to accelerate? Or go for a PKR etc etc?

And as to your final comment on yes it is "ouch" I watched a OS on Youtube doing both a TKR and PKR and it does look "OUCH !!!!" and it left me wondering about the recovery aspects. The one thing is I do know is that evnetually I will need a PKR or TKR, and the PKR looking at the condition of my knee now is probably only 3-5 years away - so - do I bite the bullet and go for it sooner. I obviously understand I need to make that decision - I just need my OS to help me, and maybe have more of an opinion.......................  ;D

Hey Ho as they say....................  ;D
2012 LM Arthroscope
2013 LM 3D PKR

Offline Plumb

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 6
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2010, 12:32:51 PM »
If it helps you any..    I was on crutches a full year before my TKR.     I as well faced the TKR/PKR question along with seeing 3 doctors to get three sets of eyes on my situation.    2 of 3 went TKR.   I myself was leaning toward TKR.   I wanted one surgery that would last me  awhile..  I was so over rehabing at that point and missing the freedom of walking..   

So moving to  the post TKR -- First time I stood..  It was nice to stand on something solid and not have bone pain.   After months n months of aqua and land therapy..     The Post TKR recovery floored me.    I saw the progress I had so wanted to see the last 12 months.  -- At a month I was off the walker and off the crutches.. ..  maybe a cane for another week..  and ofcourse PT for about 3 months .. by six months camping and hiking .. at a year..  I felt the implant to be apart of me..  at 2 years..  all minor aches and pains at bay.. At three years..  wonderful.. At four years.  best thing I ever done ..

I have even taken a few tumbles on the ground and scrapped the TKR.     My point is your enabled..  far better place than the day to day struggle of pain and limited mobility.

Offline HavenDTS

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2010, 03:07:07 PM »
Thank You - Very Very Much appreciate the comments - I have 3 more weeks on Crutches following my recent LM Meniscus allograft but if Im honest im sceptical. But from what you have written they is light at the end either way. Thanks.................:-)
2012 LM Arthroscope
2013 LM 3D PKR

support