Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: How stupid am I?  (Read 1098 times)

Offline Dawey

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
How stupid am I?
« on: October 03, 2003, 12:39:22 AM »
Five years ago, I hurt my left knee following a very silly tackle (a bit like Gazza), only less publicised. My left leg went numb from the knee down and I was unable to drive home. For some stupid reason, I never went to the hospital. I have since carried on playing football, jogging and other exercises until I have finally had to admit defeat and see a doctor. This was only due to me having to reduce my football from 4 times a week to once every two weeks and my knee collapsing in WH Smiths. I have today seen the doctor. He believes that I have suffered lateral and medial ligament damage. He also played with the knee and ankle. He added that my knee was unstable and he was recommending me to an orthapaedic surgeon immediately. He also added that surgery may only give me 60/70% of the use of my knee. I have today ceased playing football and await my appointment for the scope to assess the damage. I am 29 years old and gutted!

My advice to anyone with any knee problems, is to see someone straight away.

I was very physically active. What exercise can I do in the meantime? Can I swim?

Iona_-Uk

Re: How stupid am I?
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2003, 01:34:50 AM »
Hi Dawey and welcome

You advice is totally spot on, always get any injury checked, no matter how small or trivial it is.

Swimming would be an excellent wasy for you to keep fit, you won't be weightbearing so there is less likihood of further injury, it's a good to just start off gently and build up gradually, why not see if they some aqua exercise classes at your local pool?

Take care
Iona

Offline cantrun

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2003, 01:52:37 AM »
 :)Hello Dawey
I have had a similar experience with my knees recently. I have been quite active over the last few years, but I've slowly had to cut my workouts back more and more. I can no longer run and I often find it hard to use the elliptical trainer without pain. It is difficult to give up something that you enjoy so much. The one thing that I could recommend would be weightlifting. There are a range of machines that will allow you to keep your muscle definition without using your knees. Good luck!
I am 33 years old and I also feel gutted!

Offline ozzybug

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Never do what you would un-do if caught
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2003, 06:29:54 PM »
Dawey-
Swimming/water-robics is an excellent idea.  My OS recommended it before my arthroscopy as it is concidered "low impact".  He said that because you are in water, weight & impact are evenly distributed to the muscles, joints & so on.

Even after my arthrosccopy, when I was at the phase of beginning my knee excersises, he told me to go to the local YMCA when the pool was not crowded and do some leg excersises in the water.  I have to admit- because it is an in-door heated pool, the water felt great on my knee.

I would also follow that up in the whirlpool for some help with the blood circulation.

The main thing is to clear any excersises w/your OS/PT.  They may have some other ideas to help.

Hope all gets better!

Lezlee
Rt knee:Meniscal repair 8/03: Repair prev. meniscus repair 10/03;Chondro shave, scar tissue removal 12/03;LR,debridement chondro & scar tissue 04/02/04;TTT done 09/14/04;VMO advancement 04/2005- Does it ever end?

Offline ~*Heather*~

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 4
  • Why me? Why is it always me?
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2003, 09:08:27 PM »
Dawey,

Sorry to hear of your knee issues. I just wanted to comment that I too was very very active and ignored my knee pain until it got so bad when I reached the half mile point while running my knee would lock...or have a locking sensation.  I thought I could beat it. I rested for a few weeks to no avail. I went back out at it determined to overcome it.  Well that didn't work.  :-/ I let it go so long and it got bad that I couldn't swim either. I guess I could have swam using only upper body but that never sounded like much fun to me. Great cardio I would think!  I had/have severe IT Band Syndrome which then led to all my surgeries and tracking issues.  Getting my knee evaluated when it initially happened would have been the ideal thing to do, but you know us hard heads!

Careful with the swimming, try it out.  With ligament damage it can be painful.  Try weight lifting as mentioned above. The stronger your muscles are before surgery the easier the rehab will be. Good luck to you and keep us posted.

One more thing, you aren't stupid!!!!!!  I prefer to think we were "dedicated" to sports....lol.

Heather  
« Last Edit: October 03, 2003, 09:09:24 PM by Heather »
R knee-2 LR's, 1 ITB Release. L knee-LR/medial plication (2/02).Fell postop 3/02 & ruptured quad tendon.Quad tendon repair (8/02).Led to Patella Baja.TTT w/ Quad tendon reefing 9/03.Screw removal 8/04

support