Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Deepak's ACL reconstruction 24-6-10  (Read 85635 times)

Offline Snowy

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 93
Re: Deepak's ACL reconstruction 24-6-10
« Reply #345 on: January 02, 2013, 05:55:22 PM »
A late response here - I missed your last update when it was posted.

That's GREAT news about the football match! Congrats for making it through in one piece. How are you feeling about the movement in the joint? Do you think it's something you can live with, or are you going to consider the surgical strengthening option?

With regard to the hip pain, it might be worth having an ergonomic assessment of your work area done. My physio suggested this when I was having shoulder issues last summer, and some of the adjustments were very minor (not sitting with my legs crossed; putting in a keyboard tray) but made a big difference.

The climbing sounds really fun. :)
Mar 11: R Biceps femoris tear (skiing)
Jul 10: ACLr (hamstring autograft)
Mar 10: L ACL rupture (skiing)
Feb 06: L partial ACL tear (kickboxing)
Dec 03: R bone edema (motorbike)
Jan 01: R patellar chip (motorbike)
May 93: R ACL sprain (hockey)
Ongoing: bilateral PFS and OA

Offline Clarkey

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 73
  • Neil TheElephant knee packed up carrying his trunk
« Reply #346 on: January 10, 2013, 06:32:29 PM »
Hi Deepak,

Sorry also to reply back late I am trying to re organise my life at the moment and spend less time on KG reading members posts. Glad you are doing ok and your knee is holding up ok.

I am very much into running long distance now and do a 9 mile run 4 times a week and feel 36 miles per week is a good distance and can manage it ok with just a few twinges and pain in he knees that one would expect running regular.

[email protected] 

RK: PFPS, Arthrofibrosis, Tendinopathy, Five cortisone injections
16/01/18 Anterior interval release, distal patella excision, lateral meniscal repair
18/07/14 Anterior interval release  
16/11/09 Medial plica excision, fat pad trimming

Offline ouch09

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #347 on: January 15, 2013, 12:50:40 AM »
Snowy,

Thanks for the congrats on the returning to football, and likewise congrats to you on returning to skiing although you made your return about 2 years ago (so I'm a tad late)  !  :-[

I think I'll live with the instability. I don't think I could go through another rehab - 2 was enough for me.

I think you may on to something with the ergonomic assessment. I know how I'm supposed to sit, but it's hard to maintain good posture for 8+ hours a day. I've been putting it off, but I think I do need to go back to see a physio for my hip.

The climbing is fun (although also scary), but the main reason I'm doing it is because it is strenthening my leg muscles more than the gym does. It's also for the same reason helping with my shoulder.

Nick,

Good to hear from you too, and that you're progressing well with the running. I know what you mean about trying to re organise your life. I've also been spending less time on KG.
ACL rupture playing football May 2009
ACL hamstring autograft reconstruction 24-6-10

Offline ouch09

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #348 on: January 27, 2013, 10:06:52 PM »
I finally saw a physio for my hip pain.

He didn't have a definitive reason for the pain, but thinks I haven't done any permanent damage.

He's advised me to do the following :

1. Stretch the ITB & massage it with a foam roller.
2. Single leg dip in front of full length mirror, to see if the knee is moving laterally or medially during the movement.
3. Clam exercise to work the glutius medius.
4. Side-lying leg raise to work the glute.
5. Front-lying eg raise to work the glute.
6. Plank exercise to build Core (abdominal) strength.

7. Look into the possibility of getting a shoe wedge that will the balance out my shorter right leg.

« Last Edit: March 15, 2013, 09:07:47 PM by ouch09 »

Offline ouch09

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #349 on: March 04, 2013, 11:32:24 PM »
Since I've been doing my glute exercises, I've achieved an awareness of how weak my gluteus medius is and the effect this has on my gait when walking.

My left hip often "gives way" (as in my torso will bend to the left and my hip will move to the right) when I step with my left foot.

Imagine what my gait is like when running ... !  :)

No wonder I've been getting a painful hip !

Offline Clarkey

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #350 on: March 05, 2013, 11:58:28 AM »
Hi Deepak,

I too have a weak gluteus medius and been told PT and orthotics will benefit me and seeing a PT tomorrow for an assessment and advise. My gait is not great and still can't run since fall on black ice onto my right knee 6 weeks ago.

Should be able to sort it out for you and will find that you be in less pain with the correct type of therapy treatment.

[email protected]
16/01/18 Anterior interval release, distal patella excision, lateral meniscal repair

Offline ouch09

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #351 on: March 15, 2013, 09:16:57 PM »
I'm a bit late with my update, but a week ago I saw a podiatrist, and asked her if getting a shoe wedge to correct the leg-length difference would help with the hip pain.

Interestingly, she didn't think there was any signifianct difference in leg length.

She had a look at my orthotics, and suggested that the orthotics may be the source of the hip pain (!) so I should try taking them out of my shoes, and see if my hip pain gets any better.

I've yet to try removing the orthotics, so can't report on whether it's made any difference.

I'll try this weekend, and report back after a week or so.

Offline Clarkey

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #352 on: March 20, 2013, 05:15:05 PM »
Hi Deepak,

Hope the Orthotics ease the pain for you and also find I get hip pain as well as knee pain and also been told regular PT can be beneficial if your muscles are tight and knotted that can cause a lot of hip pain and tightness in the buttocks.

[email protected]

Offline ouch09

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #353 on: March 30, 2013, 11:38:52 PM »
Well, it seems that the podiatrist was right, and that if I remove my orthotic and replace it with the original insole, the hip pain disappears !  ;D

The only problem is that because the orthotic is no longer correcting my over-pronation (http://www.sportsinjuryclinic.net/sport-injuries/foot-heel-pain/overpronation) I get pain in my heels - it seems a lot of weight is being transferred to my heels, rather than being evenly distributed throughout the foot.

One massive advantage of not wearing the orthotic in the gym, is that I don't get hip pain while using the leg press.

This suggests that the biomechanics of my leg were being changed by the orthotic to push my femur up into the hip joint causing irritation of the joint capsule. Well that's my guess anyway ...  I suppose I should submit another paper to the Knee Geek Journal of Orthopaedics.  ;)

Offline kcknee

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 54
« Reply #354 on: March 31, 2013, 12:03:34 AM »
That's great news that the hip pain is now gone once the orthotics were removed. If you search for overpronation shoes or sneakers on the internet there are certain brands/styles that may help more gently to support your foot without trying to push your femur up into the hip joint. Maybe just wear them for working out/sports.

It's good to hear that things are looking better.

Kristin
12/31/08 - Skiing injury L knee
6/1/09 - ACL stump removed from joint
8/31/09 - ACLr - Hamstring Graft
12/21/09 - Ant Fasciotomy 
8/26/10 - Anterior Interval Release
12/6/10, 5/5/11, 12/22/11 - Fasciotomy
12/7/12 - Nerve Decompression
6/3/13(m), 7/29/13(l), 12/13/13(m & foot) 2/3/14(l) Fasciotomy

Offline Clarkey

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #355 on: April 03, 2013, 05:40:43 PM »
Hi Deepak,

Glad to see a member with some positive news to post for a change, pleased for you that the orthotics are helping to ease the pain for you and hope you carry on feeling the benefits.

[email protected]

Offline ouch09

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #356 on: November 09, 2013, 11:27:32 PM »
I'm 3 months late with this update ... :-[

Back in the end of July I went on another mountain walking holiday. Unfortunately I twisted my left (reconstucted ACL) knee slightly when descending, and then had to limp down the trail. Luckily, it was near the end of the trail, so I only had to limp for about 20 minutes. I RICEd the knee, which helped with the pain & swelling but didn't resolve it.

When I got home, I saw my GP because I was concerned that I may have torn my ACL again. She was relunctant to send me for an MRI, since the Anterior Drawer test was negative. Instead she said I should take Ibuprufen for a week to see if it settled down. Well, I'm happy to report that it did settle down, although it took 4 weeks.

On the hip, my last report about the hip pain disappearing if I didn't wear the orthotic was over-stated.  The sensationalist tabloid reporter in me was lazy and looking to grab your attention with a simplistic head-line.  ::)

The broadsheet reporter in me can give you a more balanced view. The hip pain is on-going. I've found that it is better to wear the orthotic than not. I've been to see another podiatrist who said that this is a common problem with orthotics. He added a temporary section to the heel on the left orthotic, which has helped to reduce the pain. I'm seeing him again this week & he said he will make another adjustment to the heel.

I'm continuing with the gluteus maximus & medius strengthening exercises to better support the hip.   

Offline Clarkey

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #357 on: November 19, 2013, 05:18:58 PM »
Hi Deepak,

Glad your knee injury turned out to be ok, hips can become a problem if you have previously had knee problems. Orthotics can be very beneficial for hip and knee pain. Do you do any stretching exercises as I get hip and knee pain due to a tight IT band and knotted up muscles.

PT can reduce the pain as long as you stick to what you been told to do by your PT that I am sure you would do anyway. I have been given some stretches to do by my PT, I am unable get back to running again since fall on black ice in January 2013.

[email protected]