Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Deepak's ACL reconstruction 24-6-10  (Read 90370 times)

Offline Snowy

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 93
Re: Deepak's ACL reconstruction 24-6-10
« Reply #240 on: December 04, 2010, 05:39:31 AM »
So sorry to hear about the slippage, but kudos to you for managing to fall in a way that didn't hurt the graft. Being a total klutz I've done a few things that have caused me to panic over the course of rehab, and what I'm learning (at least at the stage we're at now) is that if the knee doesn't twist, it's very unlikely that the graft will be damaged. My PT was telling me on Monday about one of his ACLr clients who also slipped on ice and sat back all the way on his heels, busting through what had previously been a 30 degree ROM deficit. (This guy was only about 6 weeks out of surgery.) The client was totally convinced that he'd blown the whole thing, but one MRI later it turned out his graft was completely fine. The moral of the story was that if he'd twisted even a little rather than falling down straight, things could have been very different.

Hopefully if you just bruised yourself, things will settle down in a week or so. Sending you good thoughts while you recover from the slip.

On a tangent, I'm exactly the same on calf/quad regrowth. Down to 0.25cm between the calves (mostly thanks to a brutal heel raise regime) but still 1.5cm between the quads. Quads seem to be the hardest thing to build...
Mar 11: R Biceps femoris tear (skiing)
Jul 10: ACLr (hamstring autograft)
Mar 10: L ACL rupture (skiing)
Feb 06: L partial ACL tear (kickboxing)
Dec 03: R bone edema (motorbike)
Jan 01: R patellar chip (motorbike)
May 93: R ACL sprain (hockey)
Ongoing: bilateral PFS and OA

Offline ouch09

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #241 on: December 06, 2010, 11:16:42 PM »
Kay - Thanks for the sympathy. I think I did just bruise my bum, and no harm was done.  ;D

Day 166

Saw my knee surgeon for a scheduled 5 month post-op review. I told him about the slip on ice last week. He examined the knee, and confirmed what the physio said last week that the ACL was fine. He asked if I had any problems with my knee, so I told him that the knee is still unstable and moves laterally, and that I still have some pain in the knee. He said the pain was to be expected at this stage as the knee is still healing.

He was disappointed by the pace of quad muscle rebuilding, and said I need to get the op leg quad the same size as on my good leg. I'm working as hard as I can on this, but progress is slow. I'll ask my physio for advice re increasing the pace.

The surgeon will see me again in 3 months time, by which time he expects me to have put back all the quad muscle I lost. No rest for the wicked !  ;D
ACL rupture playing football May 2009
ACL hamstring autograft reconstruction 24-6-10

Offline tez27

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #242 on: December 06, 2010, 11:25:59 PM »
Deepak so pleased your slip didnt do any damage to your new acl, its pretty scary walking in all this snow and ice just now so its good news that no harm was done ;D
Looks like you have a bit of hard work to do between now and your next O.S appointment to get those quads the same size, maybe get the super model to help with your work out.
Take care Tez
L K injured 25th June 2008
scope Jan 5th 10
diagnosis ACL rupture
fiberous band excised from acl
ACLr July 19th 2010  scope on 24th Sept 2011
ACL has failed incorrect tunnel placement
23rd July 2012 1st stage of a 2 stage ACL revision
10th May 2013 2nd stage ACL revision

Offline ouch09

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #243 on: December 07, 2010, 12:00:47 AM »
Tez,

Looks like you have a bit of hard work to do between now and your next O.S appointment to get those quads the same size, maybe get the super model to help with your work out.

That's a great idea ! I will ask her when she's back in the country. She's now working on another project in Siberia, modeling winter wear for next year's winter season, although given our current arctic weather conditions, she could have modelled the clothes here.  ;)
« Last Edit: December 12, 2010, 12:02:58 AM by ouch09 »

Offline ouch09

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #244 on: December 12, 2010, 12:57:31 AM »
Day 170 (week 24 or 6 months)

I told my physio that the knee surgeon wants me to increase the pace of quad rebuilding. My physio moved my programme on to the next stage :

1. 5 mins bike at level 8.

Strength

2. Single-leg leg press - 35kg. 3 x 10
3. Single-leg leg extension - 35kg. 3 x 10
4. Single-leg hamstring curl - 25kg. 3 x 10

Propioception

5. Single-leg balance on wobble board.
6. Run on the spot & then stop, balancing on op leg, on trampette. While balancing only on the op leg, catch a football that is thrown by the physio & throw the football back to the physio. Repeat for 1 min.

Plyometrics

7. Jump on the spot (like a basketball jump). Start by squatting to increase the height of the jump, then try to jump as high as possible, reaching for the sky with the hands, and land back in a squat.
8. Jump forwards, backwards, and to the right and left, landing only on the op leg. I found my balance was poor jumping back & to the right.
9. Jump over mini-hurdles. (The physio noticed that I am still putting most of my weight through the good leg, so I need to think about putting more weight through the op leg).

Agility

10. 2 steps in each square through a ladder.
11. Zig-zag through each square in the ladder.
12. Zig-zag through a line of cones.
13. Run between 4 corners of a square (marked with cones) in a Z shape.

The physio said I run very heavily, so on the agility exercises, I need to think about trying to run on my toes, rather than on the whole foot.

What struck me about exercise 8, which is an easy hopping exercise, is that Tez was asked (very incorrectly) by her physio to hop at around 6 weeks post-op, whereas I've only been allowed to hop at 24 weeks post-op.  :o

The physio cleared me to do dumb-bell bent over row with my op knee, kneeling on a weight-training bench. However, he didn't clear me to do bar-bell squats, because there is still a significant difference between the strength of the quads on both legs, which would be dangerous from a balance perspective, since serious injuries can occur if you don't keep the bar horizontal while squatting.

The night sweats have stopped now, partly because it's cold at night, and mostly (I hope) because I've stopped eating late at night, which apparently is virtually guaranteed to cause night sweats.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2010, 01:03:46 AM by ouch09 »

Offline ouch09

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #245 on: December 27, 2010, 10:29:37 PM »
Day 186 (26 weeks)

I went on the treadmill for the first time in over a month, and noticed a real difference.

The strength, propioception, plyometrics and agility training are paying off. Today, for the first time post-op I felt that I was almost "flying" again, i.e. I was almost running normally, rather than limping fast, which was what I was doing on the treadmill before.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2010, 08:02:17 PM by ouch09 »

Offline tez27

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #246 on: December 28, 2010, 12:23:23 AM »
Deepak congratulations sounds like all your hard work is paying off and things are really improving for you, what a star you are, keep up the good work and take care Tez 
L K injured 25th June 2008
scope Jan 5th 10
diagnosis ACL rupture
fiberous band excised from acl
ACLr July 19th 2010  scope on 24th Sept 2011
ACL has failed incorrect tunnel placement
23rd July 2012 1st stage of a 2 stage ACL revision
10th May 2013 2nd stage ACL revision

Offline Snowy

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #247 on: December 28, 2010, 05:00:04 AM »
I think 24 weeks is actually 5.5 months - I just hit that marker on Christmas Eve. :)

Your program actually sounds pretty impressive - you're doing some fairly hardcore plyometrics and agility work. The only thing I can see that's different from my own regime are the trampette exercise (I do single-legged exercises on the wobble board while having balls thrown at me, plus single leg dips and squats on the wobble board) and the amount of weight you're doing with the single-leg extension. My PT is encouraging me to keep extensions at a very low weight (but high reps) because it puts direct strain on the graft. Have you tried holding wall squats for several minutes? That's another really good way of building the quads.

Really glad to hear about the progress on the treadmill - that's great news. How do you find the agility exercises now that the quad strength is improving?

I think I got to start quarter-turn hops at 16 weeks, and have now progressed to half-turn hops. I still can't believe poor Tez was told to hop at six weeks!

Hope all continues to go well - sounds like a normal knee is getting pretty close. :)

Offline ouch09

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #248 on: December 31, 2010, 08:40:03 PM »
Tez - Thanks for the congratulations !  :)

Kay - You're right about 24 weeks being 5.5 months. That'll teach me to try to do date calculations after the witching hour  ;) I had calculated it based on a 4 week month ... the Gregorian calendar has alot to answer for ...  ;)

I've actually dropped the weight on the single leg extension to 15kg on the bad leg and 25kg on the good leg. 35kg was too hard.

I haven't tried holding wall squats for a few mins. I will try that & let you know.

The agility exercises aren't too difficult. My two main problems are

1. Lack of fitness (it's much better than when I started, but still not back to the level I was at pre-injury).
2. The fact that I've been running all wrong all my life : I run on the whole foot whereas I should be running on my toes, so some significant re-education is required ... I've realised this is the point of Agility exercise 10.

By "quarter-turn" and "half-turn" hop, do you mean you turn through 90 and 180 degrees respectively while hopping ? That sounds pretty impressive ! I'm sure I couldn't do that yet.

I went on the treadmill again yesterday and realised that I'm still way off from normal running. I know my propioception is still poor, and the result is that I can't fully control the movement of the knee and the foot during the running cycle - I'm aware of the the bad leg "flapping", i.e. not staying straight in the vertical plane. Hopefully, this will improve as the muscle returns, and I work harder at the propioception exercises ...

Offline Bigman78

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #249 on: January 07, 2011, 03:26:11 AM »
Hi Deepak,

What's the latest? How's your rehab going these days and have any added anything new to your program?
Visit my blog: http://aclrehab.blogspot.com/

Oct 11th 2010: 2nd Op to clean out staph infection
Oct 1st 2010: ACLr (hamstring autograft)
Aug 26th 2010: R knee ACL rupture (soccer)

Offline ouch09

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #250 on: January 08, 2011, 10:50:38 PM »
Bigman78, yes there are some new exercises in my programme that were added this week. Details below. How's your rehab going ?

Day 195

The physio added another exercise to my programme :

Carioca (http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEnotes/node/1257 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lj1V3DjA3ZE), although I'm doing an easy version that doesn't involve crossing either foot behind the other foot, only in front.

Also, my physio has started me on a 10 week graduated running programme to return to running, with the objective of being able to run continously for 30 mins at the end of the 10 weeks.

Day 198

Today, I went to my local sports centre, which includes a sports stadium with an athletics track. I prefer to run on a track than on pavement, since there's less impact that way.

I started the first stage of the running programme : run for 30 seconds, walk for 2 mins. Repeat 8 times. It felt much better to run in the open, than running on a treadmill, and I could really open up my stride. Now, I can start to get back to "flying" again  ;D

Offline Snowy

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #251 on: January 09, 2011, 06:52:31 AM »
You mean you didn't get enough flying with the pterodactyl?  :P

Congrats on the running program! Glad to hear you're feeling so much better running out of doors. I spent a lot of time on the treadmill in the early stages of my running program because the weather was so awful, but I found the whole thing much easier once I was able to go outside. That said, I'm not a big fan of running at the best of times and will be glad to give it up once my rehab is over.

Those agility ladder drills look awesome. I think I might have to get one of those...

Offline ouch09

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #252 on: January 09, 2011, 11:13:22 PM »
Flying with the pterodactyl, although a great experience, doesn't compare with flying under your own steam.  ;) :P

I think the treadmill is a great rehab tool, which allows you to run in a restricted space and with minimal impact, but I find it boring running with no change of view. In my gym, they put several screens of TV channels in front of the treadmills in an attempt to alleviate the boredom, but given the content of the TV channels, I'd rather look at a blank wall ...  ::)

Yes, the agility ladder drills are great - If you haven't already, check out some of the other youtube videos of ladder drill exercises. There seem to be an endless variety.

Offline Bigman78

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #253 on: January 10, 2011, 12:21:33 AM »
Good to hear about the latest with you Deepak and the running program. I'm looking forward to commencing running next month hopefully! My rehab is going pretty well in general and I'm able to do more and more every day. I'm just focusing on the leg weights at the moment which I'm doing twice a week and hoping to go up in weights. Since you've been there done that when did you know to up the weights and how regularly were you going up? I guess I'm a bit cautious especially with my hammy as don't want to do any damage which will set back my rehab program. At the moment I'm doing 4 plates on hamstring curls (or 20 kgs), around 8 plates or 160 lbs on the leg press machine (or 80 lbs when doing individual) and 4 plates (20 kgs) on standing calf raises. I feel like I can do more as I've been on the same weight for 3 weeks. What do you think?

Good old carioca, we always do that as part of our warm ups before training or a match! Can't wait to be able to do it again... always felt like some sort of dance :D
Visit my blog: http://aclrehab.blogspot.com/

Oct 11th 2010: 2nd Op to clean out staph infection
Oct 1st 2010: ACLr (hamstring autograft)
Aug 26th 2010: R knee ACL rupture (soccer)

Offline ouch09

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #254 on: January 12, 2011, 12:49:35 AM »
Bigman78, glad to see from your diary that you've started on the weight-training and that it's going well  :)

I personally don't increase my weights, without checking with my physio, just in case. As you say, given you've had a hamstring autograft, you want to avoid straining it while it's still healing. When do you next see your physio ?

Carioca is a great warm-up, and one that if I had done before playing might have prevented my injury ... but then again maybe it would've happened anyway ? Que sera sera ...  ;D
« Last Edit: January 15, 2011, 03:02:29 PM by ouch09 »

support