Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Deepak's ACL reconstruction 24-6-10  (Read 90399 times)

Offline tez27

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 8
Re: Deepak's ACL reconstruction 24-6-10
« Reply #180 on: September 03, 2010, 12:58:02 PM »
Deepak yipeeee walking normally is fantastic especially after all that time on crutches it would apear things are going really well for you, I hope it continues to do so, what is happening about work are you still working from home? and when do you start back at the office?
Take care Tez 
L K injured 25th June 2008
scope Jan 5th 10
diagnosis ACL rupture
fiberous band excised from acl
ACLr July 19th 2010  scope on 24th Sept 2011
ACL has failed incorrect tunnel placement
23rd July 2012 1st stage of a 2 stage ACL revision
10th May 2013 2nd stage ACL revision

Offline ouch09

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #181 on: September 04, 2010, 12:32:39 AM »
Tez,

Yes, I'm still working from home and still only doing half days. My manager has asked me when I'm likely to start doing full days (he obviously would prefer that I did whole days not half), so I've told him that I will get back to him once I've discussed it with my physio at my next appointment. He is understanding, because he knows what happened last time when I tried to rush back into work when I wasn't ready. And he really doesn't want me to be off work for another 2 months  ;)

So my situation is a bit like you in that they need me to do full days, but I'm not about to be rushed into it if I'm not ready. I can get another job - I can't get another knee !

Re going back to the office - interestlingly, since I had my op, the company now has a policy of saving money by having less office space, so we have been told that we have to work from home. We only go into the office if we need to physically meet. So far, I've managed just fine with internet chat and email.
ACL rupture playing football May 2009
ACL hamstring autograft reconstruction 24-6-10

Offline Lottiefox

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 16
« Reply #182 on: September 05, 2010, 12:04:26 PM »

Re going back to the office - interestlingly, since I had my op, the company now has a policy of saving money by having less office space, so we have been told that we have to work from home. We only go into the office if we need to physically meet. So far, I've managed just fine with facebook and Knee Geeks

:o ::) :P

Glad all is going well.......take it steady....

Lottie xx
Bilateral patella OA since 2009, no surgeries.
Euflexxa working well x3 to current
Right forefoot CRPS post fusion surgery 2011
Refusing to let the ailing parts stop me....

Offline tez27

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #183 on: September 05, 2010, 12:08:38 PM »
Deepak....Lottie... LIKE very much lol
L K injured 25th June 2008
scope Jan 5th 10
diagnosis ACL rupture
fiberous band excised from acl
ACLr July 19th 2010  scope on 24th Sept 2011
ACL has failed incorrect tunnel placement
23rd July 2012 1st stage of a 2 stage ACL revision
10th May 2013 2nd stage ACL revision

Offline ouch09

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #184 on: September 05, 2010, 05:46:25 PM »
Lottie,

I like it, very subtle  ;)

I was just telling a mate yesterday that Knee Geeks has been a life saver for me post-injury. He had a back op about 10 years ago and said he wished there had been a similar support forum for his injury. It's so much harder to make a recovery if you don't have anyone to compare notes with and provide a shoulder to cry on.

Offline Snowy

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 93
« Reply #185 on: September 05, 2010, 08:19:21 PM »
Hear hear!

You guys have definitely been the silver lining to this whole experience. :)
Mar 11: R Biceps femoris tear (skiing)
Jul 10: ACLr (hamstring autograft)
Mar 10: L ACL rupture (skiing)
Feb 06: L partial ACL tear (kickboxing)
Dec 03: R bone edema (motorbike)
Jan 01: R patellar chip (motorbike)
May 93: R ACL sprain (hockey)
Ongoing: bilateral PFS and OA

Offline LARSknee

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #186 on: September 06, 2010, 10:07:25 AM »

I agree with Snowy,Im so glad i found all you wonderful  kneegeeks before my surgery and have been able to share experiences and stories with everyone,and having the opportunity to offer advice and support to other people.

I was chatting to 1 of the personal trainers at my gym today who is having ACL surgery in 2 weeks,told him about the website and gave him a few tips for after surgery.
The poor guy says he will be back at work 1 week post op because they pay fees to the gym to be able to train clients so cant afford not to be at work.
I said realistically i dont think you will be able to.

Thanks again to all you wonderful kneegeeks :>)

Shelli xx

Offline ouch09

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #187 on: September 07, 2010, 09:18:59 PM »
Shelli,

I agree with you. I don't see how that guy is going to work as a personal trainer, which is a physical job, 1 week post-op. I hope we're wrong and look forward to reading his post-op diary.

Offline ouch09

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #188 on: September 07, 2010, 09:36:07 PM »
Day 76

At physio today, some exercises from last week's programme have got easier : static bike, hamstring curl, rowing machine, bridges and hip abduction. Mini-squats, heel raises and lunges are still not easy, although at least I'm not wobbling while doing a mini-squat. Heel raises are the most difficult, which probably indicates that the calf is the weakest muscle in my op leg.

I asked the physio if its OK for me to do a straight leg kick during front-crawl, and he said not yet ! Oops, since I already did over a week ago ...  ::) So today I was back in the pool with the pool buoy. I had a funny conversation with a woman in the pool who told me that I was never going to learn to swim if I insisted on walking on the pool floor ...  ;D

Offline ouch09

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #189 on: September 13, 2010, 11:31:30 PM »
Day 82

My leg is getting stronger. At physio today, static bike, rowing machine, hamstring curl, squats, lunges and even heel raises have got easier. The physio pointed out that I was doing the side-lying hip abduction incorrectly : I wasn't keeping my feet together and I was rolling my hip; keeping the feet together and the hip stationary really works the gluteus medius !

I can now internally rotate my knee so that I can put my left foot (from the op leg) on my right knee, which means that putting on & taking off socks has become less of a drama ...

Offline ouch09

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #190 on: September 16, 2010, 12:22:52 AM »
Day 84 (week 12)

Well, I've reached the magical week 12, which means the ACL graft is less fragile now ... I hope  :)

At physio today, got 2 changes to my physio programme.

1. Lunge on flat ground was easy, so I'm now doing lunge onto trampette to provide more of a challenge to the knee.
2. Added a single leg squat to my programme. I found this one painful and I can currently only do this while holding on to a solid object (e.g. door frame) while doing the squat, but as I'm learning in the game of ACL rehab, its really "no pain, no gain" as long as its under supervision by a physio who knows what is acceptable pain & what is not.

The physio analysed my walking gait, and the sad news is that I am still leaning onto my good leg. She said I need to use my glutes when I walk to support my weight. When I consciously made an effort to engage the glutes, she said my gait was better. So my homework till the next appointment is to keep thinking about engaging the glutes while walking, so that I put weight through the op knee.

Offline LARSknee

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #191 on: September 16, 2010, 05:38:07 AM »

Great News on reaching the magic 12 week mark........

Your progress should really take off now,and squeeze that butt when your walking !!!!!!

This time next year all our hard work on rehab will be a distant memory :>)

Cheers

Shelli

Offline Lottiefox

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 16
« Reply #192 on: September 16, 2010, 10:14:43 AM »
Deepak,

Yay on the 12 week mark! How times flies.... ::) :P

Another trampette user - I have a plan. It involves you and Cosmic and your trampettes, some Scissor Sisters CDs, some cheerleader bobbly things to shake and a routine.....whaddaya reckon?? I think after a few weeks practice we can enter you on the next Britains Got Talent.  ;D

Keep up the good work.

Lottie xx

PS Single legged squats - ouch ouch. I have those to do for my PFS. Only very slight dip. I get put off by the violent and loud noise that arise from the kneecap which my PT says is "fine" and usual as I have little cartilage left. Strangely my BAD knee is getting quite good. My GOOD knee (ha ha ha ha) is pathetic with them. I tried doing them on the Power Plate at the gym too, much to my own entertainment. Good job its near a wall and floor.  8)
Bilateral patella OA since 2009, no surgeries.
Euflexxa working well x3 to current
Right forefoot CRPS post fusion surgery 2011
Refusing to let the ailing parts stop me....

Offline ouch09

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #193 on: September 18, 2010, 12:23:50 AM »
Shelli - thanks, I hope our hard work is going to be a distant memory in a year too ! Now though, I've got to a stage where I'm actually enjoying the physio.  ;) I'm trying (when I remember) to squeeze the glutes, quads and abs when I'm standing or walking, but it is a mental effort to send a signal from my brain to 3 parts of my body.

Lottie - Yes, I'm on for the trampette routine with Cosmic ! I think we'll look great in those short skirts with our tight glutes ... I'm currently sewing my cheerleader outfit, and I've choreographed a preliminary routine including some high kicks especially for Cosmic ...  ;) Yes, I think we would do very well on Britiain's Got (Knee) Talent - I always wanted to be famous when I grow up, you know all those adoring fans, the high-life, travelling round the world, being on the front page of the gossip magazines, going to show-biz parties, bathing in ass's milk ...  You're a brave woman to try doing single-legged squats on a Power Plate, the thought of it makes me shudder  ;D

Day 85

Did my first whole (8 hour) day at work from home. I managed fine, with no ill effects.

Day 86

Went to my office for a meeting in the morning. This is the first time I've been back to the office since I had my inflammation in week 4. I commuted on the tube after 9.30am to avoid the rushhour and any consequent risks of being accidently knocked or pushed by a fellow cattle commuter. Again no ill effects. It was actually very useful to meet face to face, we were able to brainstorm with a flipchart, which is much harder over the phone/internet.

Offline Snowy

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 93
« Reply #194 on: September 19, 2010, 06:41:28 PM »
Wow - I have to say that braving the tube is probably more demanding and scarier than any rehab exercise! I took a bus once about six weeks after surgery, and that was enough for me to know that I won't be using public transport again until I'm at least at the 16-week mark. The lurch as the bus pulled away seemed custom-made to test the strength of a new ACL graft...

Sounds like you're making up the lost ground in weeks and bounds now. I find those single-leg dips are great "killing time" exercises - I can often be found dipping away in the lineup for coffee, or in my office when I need to give the knee a little bit of a stretch. Like Lottie, I only do a very small dip - it probably works the VMO more than the quads, but is great for loosening the knee.

Hope all keeps going well!
Mar 11: R Biceps femoris tear (skiing)
Jul 10: ACLr (hamstring autograft)
Mar 10: L ACL rupture (skiing)
Feb 06: L partial ACL tear (kickboxing)
Dec 03: R bone edema (motorbike)
Jan 01: R patellar chip (motorbike)
May 93: R ACL sprain (hockey)
Ongoing: bilateral PFS and OA

support