Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Deepak's ACL reconstruction 24-6-10  (Read 86491 times)

Offline tez27

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 8
Re: Deepak's ACL reconstruction 24-6-10
« Reply #330 on: February 29, 2012, 02:54:32 AM »
Hi Deepak I have been wondering how the knee was doing, from the sound of things not brillient I hope your wait for the MRI is not too long and your OS gets to the bottom of whats going on sooner rather than later.
I am waiting for a date to start the 2 stage ACL revision I saw my OS last week and he had a good look at the mri and x.ray and has decided that the original tunnels were too big to use again so he will do a bone graft first then when that has taken go back in and do the whole thing again, aint I the lucky one ::)
at least I now have a better idea of why it failed in the first place.
I hope you get some answers soon take care
Tez xx
L K injured 25th June 2008
scope Jan 5th 10
diagnosis ACL rupture
fiberous band excised from acl
ACLr July 19th 2010  scope on 24th Sept 2011
ACL has failed incorrect tunnel placement
23rd July 2012 1st stage of a 2 stage ACL revision
10th May 2013 2nd stage ACL revision

Offline Clarkey

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 75
  • Neil TheElephant knee packed up carrying his trunk
« Reply #331 on: February 29, 2012, 10:21:00 PM »
Hi Deepak,

I have already split up with my girlfriend after only going out with her for 6 weeks and was her choice not mine to end our relationship and will now look out for a new one. I was a really good boyfriend to her, so cannot understand what I had done wrong!

Sorry you are having ongoing problems with your knee and shoulder and have to have a MRI and hope it can be fixed easily by your OS. I am doing ok with my knees and stll running 3 times a week, my right knee getting more painful again so need to see Dr Brown for more IMS sessions as the last one really helped and due for another session!

Good to see you back posting again and wish you had some better news about your knee and shoulder.

[email protected]
RK: PFPS, Arthrofibrosis, Tendinopathy, Five cortisone injections
16/01/18 Anterior interval release, distal patella excision, lateral meniscal repair
18/07/14 Anterior interval release  
16/11/09 Medial plica excision, fat pad trimming

Offline ouch09

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #332 on: March 01, 2012, 11:17:06 PM »
Tez,

Sorry if I'm being a bit thick, but what was the actual reason for your ACL reconstruction failing ? I've never heard of a reconstruction failing because the bone tunnels were too big.

Nick,

Sorry to hear that things didn't work out with your girlfriend. Well not to worry, there's plenty more fish in the sea ! I read your thread, and I do wonder if you should take it easy with the running. I understand exactly why you want to run, because I do too, but I don't want to become a cripple due to running !
ACL rupture playing football May 2009
ACL hamstring autograft reconstruction 24-6-10

Offline Clarkey

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #333 on: March 01, 2012, 11:28:21 PM »
Hi Deepak,

I already have another lady in mind as a potential girlfriend so not the end of the World and as you said there are plenty to chose from. I think you may be right I do like to run fast when going for a run and the knees can only take so much before they give permanent problems and know I am too stupid and thick skinned to ease back a bit and may pay the price. Its my choice and can only blame myself if I wreck my knees.

[email protected]
16/01/18 Anterior interval release, distal patella excision, lateral meniscal repair

Offline tez27

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #334 on: March 02, 2012, 04:30:45 AM »
Hi Deepak all I know is its something to do with the placement and size of the tunnels according to my surgeon, and from what I can gather on here its the most common cause of the graft failure, why? I dont have any Idea, my surgeon says that one in a hundred acl reconstructions fail for whatever reason, whether there is any fact in that or thats just his opinion I'm not sure, all I know is its just my luck that mine was that one in a hundred ::)
Take care Tez   
L K injured 25th June 2008
scope Jan 5th 10
diagnosis ACL rupture
fiberous band excised from acl
ACLr July 19th 2010  scope on 24th Sept 2011
ACL has failed incorrect tunnel placement
23rd July 2012 1st stage of a 2 stage ACL revision
10th May 2013 2nd stage ACL revision

Offline ouch09

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #335 on: March 20, 2012, 10:56:04 PM »
Tez,

Thanks for giving me more information about why your graft failed. I'll be interested to know what the reason was for mine failing, if it has indeed failed.

The NHS knee gods have been kind to me (although I think sacrificing a plump aubergine helped ;)) and I will now be having both my MRI & an appointment to see the knee surgeon in a weeks' time.

If anyone has suggestions for questions to ask the surgeon, I'd appreciate them.

Offline ouch09

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #336 on: March 28, 2012, 12:16:49 AM »
Day 642 (1 year, 9 months, 3 days) post-op

I got my MRI & the knee surgeon reviewed the MRI today.

The good news is that the graft is still in tact ! Incidentally, the Xray I had about 2 months ago was lying - I do have a metal fixation screw in the tibia.

The knee surgeon tested the knee movement manually, and agreed there was too much free movement in the joint.

He offered the possibility that I'm one of those people who always have loose joints, although I know my knee was not this loose before my ACL rupture.

He told me that there was a surgical option to tighten the knee using an autograft from the Iliotibial band to provide further mechanical strength, in additon to the ACL, but this would obviously entail another long period of recovery from the operation.

Alternatively, I can try a conservative approach, which is to continue increasing muscle bulk around the knee, improving propioception, and try gently going back to playing football, with the mechanical assistance of a hinged knee brace.

No prizes for guessing that I'm going for the conservative approach.  ;)

Offline Clarkey

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #337 on: April 05, 2012, 07:02:07 PM »
Hi Deepak,

I do not blame you going for the conservative option 1st rather then straight in with surgery to see if it helps or not as it not good to have too many scopes on one knee that increases arthritis. I hope you enjoy the Easter Weekend Holiday and glad you want to compete in sports again.

[email protected]

Offline Bigman78

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #338 on: April 10, 2012, 02:47:41 AM »
Glad to hear the graft is still intact Deepak!

Given the same option I would also go with trying to strengthen the muscles around the knee over an additional op. I guess it all depends what your goals are going forward though.

All the best with it! What type of exercises are you doing at the gym at the moment and what has your PT advised (that is if you've seen your PT)?
Visit my blog: http://aclrehab.blogspot.com/

Oct 11th 2010: 2nd Op to clean out staph infection
Oct 1st 2010: ACLr (hamstring autograft)
Aug 26th 2010: R knee ACL rupture (soccer)

Offline ouch09

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #339 on: April 15, 2012, 12:15:25 PM »
Nick,

Yes, I did enjoy the easter bank holiday weekend - it felt so good to have 4 days off work. I also played another round of 9-hole golf, which felt easy, but then I was aching the next day - playing golf must work different muscles from going to the gym ... How do you find playing golf - does it cause you any knee pain ?

Bigman78,

My physio discharged me before Xmas. She advised me to stop doing bar-bell Squats & Deadlift, because they were causing patellar tendon pain. So my current leg workout is :

1. 5 min warm-up on static bike.
2. single-leg leg press.
3. single-leg leg curl.
4. single-leg leg extension.
5. 5 min rowing machine.

I'm supposed to be doing these as well, but haven't done so for about a month :

6. decline squat with low-weight dumb-bells to lightly load the patellar tendon.
7. single-leg unweighted squat to improve propioception.
8. lunge to improve propioception.

Incidentally, the knee surgeon said that it was common to get patellar tendon pain when returning to sport following ACL reconstruction, and the solution (as correctly advised by my physio) was to temporarily back-off any exercise that was causing the pain.

What are you you doing in the gym these days ?

Offline Clarkey

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #340 on: April 18, 2012, 05:14:34 PM »
Hi Deepak,

Hope your knee improves soon so you can play a round of golf without being in knee pain and is good that you are keeping op top of your PT. I no longer go to the gym and saving money and also can get very boring and rather go outside for a run 3 times a week and will be joining a Running Club at the end of the month as I really want to get into long distance running and happy with my running speed of 6 minutes an mile and like to cut it down to 5 minutes ideally.

I really cannot stand golf and working on a course anymore and will looking for a new job working with adults with Asperger syndrome in a Residential Home as I have the condition myself in a milder form and would understand what they are going through after going through it myself in 2005 and spent 7 months in a Residential Home. I am already planning to set up my own Asperger syndrome Social Group and will set up my own website and publish a book about how I live and cope with it.

[email protected]

Offline ouch09

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #341 on: September 11, 2012, 12:46:11 AM »
2 years & 2 months post-op

I'm a bit late with my 2 year update, but better late than never ...

I've been having pain in my left hip (the same side as the reconstucted ACL) for over a month. I've found that going to the gym reduces the pain, but does not eliminate the pain. I believe that swimming helps, since I went swimming yesterday and the pain is better.

I've been trying to avoid going to see a physio about this, since I thought I could resolve it myself, however I think I need to because I'm concerned I may be causing long-term damage to the hip.

On the positive side, I can now do deep (un-weighted) squats, so can get out of the pool without using steps, and can now swim breast-stroke again. I am trying to ease myself back into running on the treadmill - I'm up to 15 mins, and so far no patella tendon pain, so it's looking good !  :)

Offline Clarkey

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #342 on: September 12, 2012, 06:14:03 PM »
Hi Deepak,

Time fllies by and I will be 3 years post op in November and now starting to have problems once again but it is my own fault as I do lots of road running. It often common to have hip pain when you have had knee problems and best to avoid long term damage.

Great you are running on the treadmill and can do squats again without too much knee pain.

[email protected]

Offline Bigman78

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #343 on: November 27, 2012, 06:27:41 AM »
Hi Deepak,

Congrats on passing the 2 year anniversary! I just passed that mark myself last month :)

Happy to hear about the deep squats and running! Hope the hip pain improves but maybe you should check it out?

Take care
Visit my blog: http://aclrehab.blogspot.com/

Oct 11th 2010: 2nd Op to clean out staph infection
Oct 1st 2010: ACLr (hamstring autograft)
Aug 26th 2010: R knee ACL rupture (soccer)

Offline ouch09

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #344 on: December 13, 2012, 01:01:21 AM »
2 years & 5 months post-op

Yesterday I played a game of football for the first time since my injury in May 2009.  ;D ;D ;D

I played badly, but I was just so happy to be playing again, and even more happy that I survived the game without the dreaded recurrence of the ACL rupture.

I deliberately avoided any tackles (luckily this was just a friendly kick about, so no crazy sliding tackles).

I wore the knee brace recommended by my knee surgeon, but even with that my knee felt loose. A mild sideways bump from another player made my femur move laterally relative to the tibia. I was able to make lots of pivoting moves pain-free though.

Worryingly, today my knee feels a bit looser than it did before the game ...

Thanks Nick & Bigman78 for your replies.

The hip pain comes and goes. What seems to cause it is actually sitting at a desk for long periods, so this should encourage me to be more active.

On that note, I've restarted indoor climbing for the last couple of weeks, and so far so good. I did learn in the first week not to try landing on the left foot alone, which causes the knee to buckle - if I jump off the wall and land on both feet I'm fine.

support