Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Deepak's ACL reconstruction 24-6-10  (Read 86930 times)

Offline Clarkey

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 75
  • Neil TheElephant knee packed up carrying his trunk
Re: Deepak's ACL reconstruction 24-6-10
« Reply #315 on: October 06, 2011, 05:16:32 PM »
Hi Deepak,

You done what you thought was the right thing to do and does not matter what other people think as beauty and looks are not always important as long as they have a nice personality and half decent looking.Think you should take Tez's advise and get your knee checked out by an OS rather then leaving it just to put your mind at ease as he/she may say there nothing to be concerned about.

Nick :) {2011} :)
RK: PFPS, Arthrofibrosis, Tendinopathy, Five cortisone injections
16/01/18 Anterior interval release, distal patella excision, lateral meniscal repair
18/07/14 Anterior interval release  
16/11/09 Medial plica excision, fat pad trimming

Offline Bigman78

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #316 on: October 10, 2011, 08:06:51 AM »
Deepak - I don't have time to write much but just want to wish you all the best and hope your graft hasn't failed as well. Let us know once you've had it checked out. And time to get another supermodel I think ;)

Tez - sorry to hear what you went through and hope you come out even stronger than before

All the best everyone!
Visit my blog: http://aclrehab.blogspot.com/

Oct 11th 2010: 2nd Op to clean out staph infection
Oct 1st 2010: ACLr (hamstring autograft)
Aug 26th 2010: R knee ACL rupture (soccer)

Offline ouch09

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #317 on: October 28, 2011, 12:05:54 AM »
Day 477

The physio has given me 2 new exercises to work on the propioception, and start gently loading the patella tendon :

1. Decline squat, i.e. a squat with your feet on a negative gradient.
2. Lunge. She corrected my form : I was moving the leading knee forward of the ankle, which stresses the patella tendon, instead I should only flex to 90 degrees, and then return to 0 degrees extension.

Day 486 (16 months post-op)

I sucessfully completed an introductory course in indoor "rock" climbing. My knee was absolutely fine, even when I jumped off the climbing wall from about 5 feet above the ground - there was a foam mat to land on, so it wasn't like landing on concrete.

Tez,

I agree with you, it is worrying to hear that neither your physio nor OS thought that the graft had failed. I think I will stick with the propioception exercises for a bit longer before I contact my OS, because my single-leg knee bends are becoming less wobbly, although my knee is still not wobble-free. In my case, progress is slow but steady ...

Luckily I'm not beautiful, so if the super model and I had had kids, her genes would hopefully have won out on mine  :P

Nick,

Thanks for your understanding too. That's what I love about this forum, other knee geeks support you when you're going through tough times. I'm currently going through a bit of an emotional roller-coaster.  :'( :P

Bigman78,

I think I won't be going for another super model this time. Everyone thinks it must be really glamorous to go out with a super model, but the reality is you don't see her much because she's always jetting off round the globe to her next photo-shoot or fashion show. Now I'm looking for stability - more of a "girl next door" type.  :P 
« Last Edit: October 28, 2011, 12:27:57 AM by ouch09 »
ACL rupture playing football May 2009
ACL hamstring autograft reconstruction 24-6-10

Offline kcknee

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 54
« Reply #318 on: October 28, 2011, 04:56:51 AM »
Deepak-

I had spent the time between when I had my ACL stump removed at the beginning of June until I had my ACLr in late August trying to get my muscles strong enough to compensate for the missing ACL. My leg strength and proprioception became so good during that time that I was doing lunges, one legged squats and even squats while balancing on the bosu ball with the round side down. As long as I was actively engaging my muscles, my knee was stable. If I stood with my knee relaxed or stepped sideways without tightening my muscles first, my leg would buckle.

I really hope that your graft is still in good shape, but it does sound like your muscles are strong and may be compensating a lot. Keep working on the proprioception but if the knee is still unstable, I would have a different OS check it out and do the x-rays and manual test to see if the graft was placed right and if the graft is still strong.

Kristin
12/31/08 - Skiing injury L knee
6/1/09 - ACL stump removed from joint
8/31/09 - ACLr - Hamstring Graft
12/21/09 - Ant Fasciotomy 
8/26/10 - Anterior Interval Release
12/6/10, 5/5/11, 12/22/11 - Fasciotomy
12/7/12 - Nerve Decompression
6/3/13(m), 7/29/13(l), 12/13/13(m & foot) 2/3/14(l) Fasciotomy

Offline ouch09

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #319 on: November 13, 2011, 10:20:40 PM »
Kristin,

I'm going to see my physio this week to review my progress with improving propioception. The good news is that my knee bends are less wobbly, although not yet wobble-free. The bad news is that (like you) when I'm not consciously contracting the muscles, my knee does feel "loose".

When you say your knee would "buckle" - do you mean that it would completely give way, or was it more subtle ?

How did your knee surgeon determine that your graft had failed ?

Offline kcknee

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 54
« Reply #320 on: November 14, 2011, 12:59:33 AM »
My ACL graft thankfully has never failed.

The time I was referring to was between when my torn ACL was removed from my knee in June 2009 and then replaced the end of that August. My tear had been misdiagnosed for 6 months before I found a new OS who read the MRI correctly. Because my leg was inflamed from having the stump stuck in the notch for months, my OS was doing my ACLr in two stages. He made me rehab hard all summer in the hopes that I could get strong enough to not need the replacement graft. Before my ACL was removed, I couldn't get full extension, but the stuck torn ACL was keeping my knee stable.

All that Summer, I obviously knew that I had no ACL remaining in my knee. I had rehabbed hard the 6 months prior to having my ACL removed and worked even harder after. My leg would feel like I was balancing the bones on top of each other when I stood with the muscles relaxed and then would just give out. When my muscles were consciously being contracted, my leg was really strong and stable.

I hope you get good news at your PT this week and your knee is becoming more stable. Your experience had just reminded me of when I was doing the hard rehab with no ACL.

When I first started with my current OS when the first signs of AF appeared, he did all the usual twisting/pulling tests and x-rays with my leg in 3 different positions to determine if the graft tunnels were in the right place. I then had an MRI to look at the state of the graft.

Kristin
12/31/08 - Skiing injury L knee
6/1/09 - ACL stump removed from joint
8/31/09 - ACLr - Hamstring Graft
12/21/09 - Ant Fasciotomy 
8/26/10 - Anterior Interval Release
12/6/10, 5/5/11, 12/22/11 - Fasciotomy
12/7/12 - Nerve Decompression
6/3/13(m), 7/29/13(l), 12/13/13(m & foot) 2/3/14(l) Fasciotomy

Offline Bigman78

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #321 on: November 14, 2011, 04:17:38 AM »
Hey Deepak,

Just checking in to see how it's all going. Hope it goes well with the physio appointment.

Keep us all informed!

Cheers

Offline ouch09

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #322 on: November 17, 2011, 12:42:04 AM »
Day 511 (nearly 17 months post-op)

Yesterday, I fell about 5 feet off an overhang wall while indoor climbing. Falling off is perfectly normal for climbing, and since you land on a soft mat, you don't hurt yourself. Unfortunately, I didn't land on both feet - I think I must have landed on the left foot first, and then the right foot followed. The left knee didn't take the landing well, and I had to stop climbing due to pain in the lateral side of the knee. When I got home, I iced and elevated the knee, which brought down the swelling and pain.

I saw my physio today for my scheduled appointment and told her what had happened. She examined the knee and did lots of manual tests. Again, she said she could feel the ACL, although the MCL felt a little lax.

She did notice that there was more lateral-medial movement in the left (operated) knee than the right. She theorised that this may be due to the knee surgeon deliberately keeping some laxity in the ACL graft - apparently if there is too much tension in the ACL graft, this can lead to early onset arthritis. If this is the case, my knee will always be loose, and this is "as good as it gets".

She reluctantly agreed to write to my GP to request an MRI, to put my mind at rest that the ACL graft hadn't failed.

She thought that as far as physio is concerned, I've done all I can to get the knee strong. Now, I can contnue with trying to improve the propioception, but my knee may never be as good as is was prior to the ACL rupture and playing football or indoor rock-climbing would put me at risk of another ACL rupture ...

Offline Bigman78

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #323 on: November 17, 2011, 05:57:31 AM »
Sorry to hear about the rough landing whilst climbing. Hope the MRI shows there is no major structural damage to the knee. Seeing as though the physio can 'feel' your ACL that's always a good sign.

In regards to the laxity in the ACL graft that's an interesting point... you've mentioned on a few occasions that your knee feels 'loose' which hasn't been the case for me. You've worried me in terms of too much tension in the graft leading to the onset of early arthritis. The surgeon who performed on me is one of the best around so I trust that he did a good job!

All the best.

Offline Clarkey

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #324 on: November 17, 2011, 05:30:39 PM »
Hi Deepak,

Once you have a knee problem and think you getting some where you have another accident involving the knee and do hope your injury is only minor and not a trip to the OS and operating table. It is a wise move to have an MRI scan done as it better to make really sure that there is no damage inside the knee.

Was 2 years post op yesterday and doing really well and run 3 times a week at a good pace and will join a running club in spring 2012 as I feel I am competitive enough to join. Can run 1 mile in 6 minutes and aim to do it in 5 minutes by the time I join a club.

Nick :) {2011} :)
16/01/18 Anterior interval release, distal patella excision, lateral meniscal repair

Offline Bigman78

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #325 on: January 05, 2012, 11:52:43 PM »
Happy new year Deepak!

How's your knee going these days? Hope all is well.

Cheers :)

Offline ouch09

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #326 on: January 09, 2012, 02:43:22 PM »
Nick,

Glad to hear that you're doing so well. Joining a running club sounds like a good plan, both from a social point of view and because people can give you advice about running technique. I was talkig to a guy in the cafe at the top of Mount Snowdon (!) who was in a running club, and he was telling me that everyone in his running club has an injury of some kind, so they all give each other advice about how to avoid their injury.

Happy New Year Bigman78 and everyone else !

My knee is doing OK thanks. It's still loose, but I can do alot despite that. Last week I played an easy round of golf (golf was not a sport I played before, but now I may start since it's low impact) and had no knee pain. I was also playing with my nephew and sprinted, again with no knee pain. Maybe, I can get back to running ... ?

The physio has come up with an interesting possible diagnosis : she's been also treating my left shoulder (a problem I've had for over 10 years) and found that both shoulder joints are more lax than they should be. This led her to theorise that I may have a general problem with lax joints throughout my body. So, the laxity in the left knee may not be due to the surgeon leaving the ACL graft lax, but due to naturally lax ligaments. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ligamentous_laxity, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypermobility

Hopefully when I finally get my MRI, or see an orthopaedic surgeon, I'll get a more definite diagnosis.

How's your knee doing ?

Offline Clarkey

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #327 on: January 19, 2012, 05:20:19 PM »
Hi Deepak,

I will join a running club in the spring as it still gets dark ealry this time of the year and rather run in daylight then in the dark. I have met a girlfriend from a dating website and we was in a relationship with in 9 days after meeting for the 1st time and so far its going smoothly. I might not be able to get a model as a girlfriend like you did but we love each other and that all that matters.

Glad you had a good round of golf and think it wont be too long before you get back into running and can take a while to get back into it after a knee injury and can maybe run shorter distances to begin with and see how well the knee takes it all. It best to get your shoulders and knees looked at by an OS and hope the MRI spots a problem that can be fixed easily.

My knee does swell slighlty after a run and do get some pain at the bottom of the knee and will not late it put me off running as the pain is not too intense and can take it as it not all that painful.

Hope you have a good 2012 without too many hospital appointments.

[email protected]

Offline Bigman78

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #328 on: February 07, 2012, 10:23:39 AM »
Hey Deepak,

Hope you are nearly back to running and good to hear you may have a reason for the knee being so loose. Did you end up getting it checked out?

My knee is great, thanks for asking. It survived the cricket season well (even if I personally didn't have a really good season) and I've started going to soccer training the last few weeks. I've even participated in some small pitch matches and have a decent level of confidence with it. I'm still hesitant to tackle (I'm sure this will take time) and I'm still not sure if I will actually play competitive games of soccer. I may be better off just training to keep fit...

Let's see how it pans out!

Take care

Offline ouch09

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #329 on: February 29, 2012, 12:14:17 AM »
Day 614 (1 year, 8 months, 4 days post-op)

I finally got to see a knee surgeon, who did some manual tests and took an Xray of my knee (which showed no obvious bone damage, although he did say there was less space between the femur and the tibia on the lateral side, possibly indicating early onset arthritis). Interestingly, the Xray showed that I do not have a metal fixation screw in the tibia, implying that the surgeon used a bio-absorbable screw. This leaves me wondering why I feel pain in the tibia on the medial side - I had assumed it was from the screw, but this can't be the case ... ?!

I asked him if he thought, given my shoulder problem, that I had hypermobile joints. He did the classic hypermobility test with the hand, which was negative, so hypermobility has been ruled out as the reason for the laxity.

I now have to wait for an appointment to get an MRI. Once that is done, I will have to wait for another appointment with the knee surgeon to review the MRI ... Ah, we're back to the bad old days of the NHS with long waiting times  ::)

Nick,

Congratulations on meeting your girlfriend, and hope things are going well for you both. A word of advice from the wise : Just avoid any arguments over jam or marmalade on toast !   ;)

Bigman78,

Great to hear that you went through the whole cricket season, and are soccer training. I know exactly what you mean about being hesitant to tackle.