Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Deepak's ACL reconstruction 24-6-10  (Read 85776 times)

Offline ouch09

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 0
Re: Deepak's ACL reconstruction 24-6-10
« Reply #30 on: July 05, 2010, 12:10:27 AM »
Tez, you will probably sleep better after the op if (unlike me) you continue to take the pain meds. I was trying to be tough, when there was no need to be - a symptom of being male ... ::) ;)

Also, psychologically there's a huge weight off your mind once you've had the op, so that'll probably help you sleep better too. I remember thinking after the op - great, I've made it to the other side !
ACL rupture playing football May 2009
ACL hamstring autograft reconstruction 24-6-10

Offline ouch09

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #31 on: July 05, 2010, 12:31:40 AM »
Kay, the terms of my artistic license are quite explicit with regards to persons alive or dead - no creativity is allowed, one may only document what actually happened in a biographical style. Complete artistic freedom is however premitted with fictional characters. The terms are vague when it comes to interactions between persons alive and fictional characters. Violating the terms of the license may result in expulsion from the guild of knee geek writers.  ;D

Anyway, what do mean "chase super-models" ?! Its the super-model who's chasing me !  ;D

Meanwhile back in the land of reality ...

Today I had no pain when walking. I actually think I could walk outside without crutches, and I'm only using them for insurance, in case my knee were to give way, which seems a very remote possibility at the moment.

I do get tired if I stand for more than 20 minutes at a time, but I think this will improve in a few days time.

Offline tez27

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #32 on: July 05, 2010, 03:41:52 AM »
Sounds like things are coming along really well, I tend to think the brace is a wee extra insurance as its very mixed weather or not your given one after the reconstruction, it seems to be about 50/50 from what i've read.
Good luck with the stich removal tomorrow or is that later today ??? anyway I hope it goes ok.... I also hope your right about getting more sleep after the op as its after 3.30am and I'm up and online when I would much rather be in bed asleep :P
So many rules regarding your artistic license makes me think you have too much time on your hands just now, as long as it helps pass the time you go for it,plus its always entertaining for us other knee geeks
Take care Tez
L K injured 25th June 2008
scope Jan 5th 10
diagnosis ACL rupture
fiberous band excised from acl
ACLr July 19th 2010  scope on 24th Sept 2011
ACL has failed incorrect tunnel placement
23rd July 2012 1st stage of a 2 stage ACL revision
10th May 2013 2nd stage ACL revision

Offline ouch09

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #33 on: July 06, 2010, 12:25:28 AM »
Day 12

Took 2 codeine capsules last night, since the first one didn't completely kill the pain, however I still couldn't sleep most of the night. Codeine is clearly not an all-encompassing panacea. I think my sleep problems are partly due to the fact that I'm napping during the day & so not tired at night, and partly because my brain is not tired due to being under-stimulated. I'm used to having a job that tires me out mentally during the day and that's not happening now that I'm not working. I need to find a way to tire my brain ... suggestions gratefully accepted ! I've tried reading - that doesn't work - it just makes me nap during the day ...

I couldn't take the lactulose, since I had to travel to my hospital appointment in the morning, and I didn't want any "accidents" en route ... I now remembered why I hated codeine - because I was constipated, I felt nauseous - not something I enjoy.

At my hospital appointment had my stitches out. I've never had stitches before, so wasn't sure what to expect. It turned out to only be mildly painful, but the good news is that the wounds are healing well. The nurse put on new waterproof dressings (which she said I can take off in a few days & leave the wounds open to the air to heal) so I can now have a shower again ! :)

The surgeon asked me how things were going, so I told him about the bruising at the back of the knee & the foot, and pain in my calf & achilles tendon. He said the back of the knee bruising was to be expected : that's where they harvested the hamstring graft from arthroscopically.

So I didn't have a quad graft after all ! The wound on the quad is where the pin popped out - apparently they don't let the drill pop out, but rather use a pin to complete the tunnel, I guess like a needle & thread. I think more research is needed on my part ... e.g. how do they get the fixation screw in through a tiny 2 millimetre hole ?!

He couldn't explain the bruising on the foot, so asked me if I had maybe twisted my ankle some time in the last week. I said I didn't believe I had, but what I had done was turn my foot while trying to get my socks & shoes on & off while wearing the brace - perhaps that was the cause ... He thought the foot bruising was nothing to be concerned about & that it would clear up in a couple of days.

He felt the calf to see if it was tense & bloated - a possible symptom of DVT, but the calf was relaxed, so again he said he wasn't concerned about the calf and achilles tendon, and that a physio would be able to help me with these problems.

Which brought us on the fact that he thought that I should already have started my physio programme, but I said I hadn't heard from any physio. He advised me to chase my GP, in case my GP had not yet referred me for physio. It turned out when I got home that there was a physio letter waiting for me in the post - I just hadn't been checking my post for the last few days.

I also asked whether I needed to continue using the brace since I found it a pain (literally) to wear. The surgeon said I just needed to wear it to the end of this week, which is a relief.

I also asked whether I can ditch the crutches. Again the surgeon said I need to continue until the physio says I don't need them anymore.

I will see the surgeon again for a follow-up appointment in 6 weeks.

Offline ouch09

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #34 on: July 07, 2010, 12:27:37 AM »
Day 13

Didn't take any codeine last night, but slept through the night !

I think my body was tired yesterday, which helped me sleep. Yesterday was the longest I had been outdoors for since my op : I left home at 9.30am and got back from the hospital at 4.30pm. Surprisingly, the knee wasn't killing me. In fact, I think walking for several hours (with sitting breaks) was very good for my calf, which today is less swollen. Clearly, the walking does pump the blood out of the knee.

I now have a physio appointment in 2 days time, i.e. day 15. I'm looking forward to it.

I did my knee exercises 3 times today. I've got to prepare my knee for the physio appointment when I will have to do much tougher exercises for an hour. The time for resting is over !

Went for a 20 minute walk in the evening to pump the blood out of my calf.

My bruising is indeed healing as predicted by the knee surgeon, and once again I wonder if all the walking I did yesterday helped ... or is it just coincidence ?

Just been reading Beda's post-op diary & realised that my pain is insignificant compared to hers. 

Offline Snowy

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 93
« Reply #35 on: July 07, 2010, 01:02:50 AM »
If the walking's helping your circulation, it makes sense that it would help the bruising. Glad to hear that the extra activity seems to be helping rather than hindering! Are you mostly walking without the crutches now? Is it still slow compared to normal?

If you're feeling really brave, there are videos on YouTube where you can watch the whole op, including the screw insertions...they're not for the faint of heart, but I actually found them quite helpful in the sense that I now feel like I've got a really good idea of exactly what the mechanics of the repair are.

Beda is a truly amazing woman - I have no idea how anyone copes with the degree of pain, suffering, and surgical failures that she's been through. It really does put things in perspective reading her story.
Mar 11: R Biceps femoris tear (skiing)
Jul 10: ACLr (hamstring autograft)
Mar 10: L ACL rupture (skiing)
Feb 06: L partial ACL tear (kickboxing)
Dec 03: R bone edema (motorbike)
Jan 01: R patellar chip (motorbike)
May 93: R ACL sprain (hockey)
Ongoing: bilateral PFS and OA

Offline zaiemk

• Regular Poster
« Reply #36 on: July 07, 2010, 08:26:44 AM »
Nice work Deepak - I'm a week behind you and I'm not sure if I will be able to do as much walking.

Its obviously doing you some good and its good prep for the PT.

Good luck
Zaiem

Offline ouch09

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #37 on: July 08, 2010, 12:13:56 AM »
Kay, I walk indoors without the crutches, and even go outside to take the rubbish out without the crutches. I'm probably risking an accident by going outside, but my knee feels stable enough that I don't think the risk is significant. I do use the brace & crutches if I go out for even a five minute walk - its tedious putting on the brace & using the crutches, but I think there is a risk when walking on uneven ground. Yes, I do think the crutches slow me down because I have to think about coordinating the crutches with the movement of my legs, and my crutch coordination is not as good as my leg coordination - the crutches have not yet become a "part of me", and hopefully never will.  ;)

Sorry to hear that Mara's got worse again. Hope she gets better soon.

Zaiem, I'm sure you'll be doing as much, if not more than me in a week's time. Your knee gets stronger every day post-op, but sometimes you don't realise until you try something that you didn't think you were capable of.

Tez, congratulations on getting a whole night's sleep last night ! As a fellow bad sleeper, I appreciate how good it is to get a whole unbroken night's sleep.

Offline ouch09

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #38 on: July 08, 2010, 12:49:25 AM »
Day 14

I can't believe its been 2 weeks since the operation. In some ways the time has dragged (being bored at home) but in other ways, its gone a lot faster than I thought it would, and having this forum with its support network and information exchange really helps. The act of writing this diary is useful for me to look back at where I was & where I am now.

Today was really the same as yesterday, so I won't bore you by repeating the same words.

My main achievement today was shaving. Yes, knee geeks I have not shaved since my operation & I was looking a bit scruffy to say the least with my 2 week beard. I felt so crap last week that shaving was not a prority, but now I'm feeling a lot better. One has to keep up appearances, doesn't one ? (to be read in a very posh accent) :P

[artisitc license begins]

I called the super model today to ask if she would like to come over to my place and watch some DVDs. She asked what sort of DVDs ... ? I told her I had just got a box set of the last 10 years of "Top Gear" http://www.topgear.com/uk - a hugely entertaining TV programme about all things of the wheeled kind, featuring reviews of some of the latest cars on the market. I told her we could have hours of fun watching them while drinking a few cans of lager. She said she would love to, but had a very important photo shoot coming up that she had to wash her hair for ...

She promises to rearrange when she next has a free slot in her diary.

[artistic licens ends]

Offline tez27

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #39 on: July 08, 2010, 03:23:15 AM »
Deepak good for you getting all that walking in from what I have been told the earlier you start walkin the better as this helps with getting the circulation going which in turn will help with the blood pooling and the bruising.
I would think your right about using the crutches while walking any distance outside even if its just to warn others that you maybe a little slower or unsteady while out and about.
Unfortunatly for me the full nights sleep was short lived as its 3.15am and I am answering your post... oh well a week on Monday will be here before I know it and then hopefully iI will be getting back to some kind of a normal 2 legged life.
I'm pretty sure now your shaving again it wont be long before that super model and you hook up
Take care Tez
L K injured 25th June 2008
scope Jan 5th 10
diagnosis ACL rupture
fiberous band excised from acl
ACLr July 19th 2010  scope on 24th Sept 2011
ACL has failed incorrect tunnel placement
23rd July 2012 1st stage of a 2 stage ACL revision
10th May 2013 2nd stage ACL revision

Offline Snowy

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #40 on: July 08, 2010, 04:48:49 AM »
But but but...couldn't you have told the super model that you shaved especially? ;)

Offline ouch09

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #41 on: July 08, 2010, 07:41:46 PM »
Tez - sorry to hear that you had a broken night's sleep again. I was in the same boat last night, couldn't sleep most of the night, and only got an hour's sleep in the morning. Yes, last year my physio told me that even if I didn't need the crutches, I should still use them as a visual sign to tell people to "give me space" - what we wanted to avoid was someone bumping into me with my fragile knee. This was in the very early days - maybe up to 4/5 weeks post-injury.

Kay - Unfortunately, I only shaved after I had phoned the super-model. Anyway, she's one of those women who prefer their men unshaven - something about liking the contrast between rough and smooth ...  ;) Good luck for your op tomorrow ! You're in much better shape than I was - cycling up mountains, no less ! You'll be fine. I'm looking forward to reading your post-op diary. I did exactly the same as you & cut my toe-nails the night before because I remember last year that I couldn't do it for months post-injury. I took your advice & watched some videos on youtube of the ACL op - I've got a better idea of how they drill the tunnel & pass the graft through the tunnel, but still haven't seen any videos showing how they attach the screws arthroscopically. The way that they do the operation arthroscopically just amazes me - very clever !

Offline Snowy

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #42 on: July 08, 2010, 11:58:11 PM »
Those supermodels - they're such a fickle bunch!

I'll have to see if I can find you the video I saw where they were passing the screws in and fixing them into the tunnel. It is pretty amazing that they're able to do all of this through three tiny incisions - as one of my coworkers said last night, "When I hear stuff like that I'm so glad we live in the future!"

Offline ouch09

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #43 on: July 09, 2010, 12:05:24 AM »
Day 15

Didn't sleep most of the night & only got about 1.5 hours sleep in the morning, before I had to be up for my physio appointment, which turned out to be a bit of an anticlimax.

I had expected to be doing an hour's workout in the gym, but today's physio session was just a history-taking session.

The physio asked me where on my body I was experiencing pain, what movements caused pain & what my pain levels were on a scale of 0-10. I told her that the knee was actually causing me very little if any pain, and the main source of pain was the calf & achilles tendon.

She suggested applying heat to the achilles tendon. I told her I had already been doing this, so she said I needed to continue.

She examined my bruises, and like the surgeon said they were not something to be concerned about. Except, I told her that the brusing pain was partly what was keeping me awake at night. She said I needed to take my pain medicines.

She also remarked on how little swelling I had. I told her I had been using RICE treatment.

On the subject of RICE, I told her that I found elevating my leg on another chair while sitting at the computer caused pain in the knee. She said this would be because I was forcing the knee into hyperextension and actually it wasn't doing me much good in terms of draining the blood out of the calf, other than stretching the hamstring and encouraging my knee to extend. I've had extension to 0 degrees from day 1, so don't really need to work on that.

She said there was a common misconception that sitting at a chair with your foot raised on a cusion on another chair was counted as "elevating". In fact, if the knee is not above the heart, the "elevation" achieves nothing, so the best way to elevate is to lie horizontally in bed & then raise the foot on a couple of pillows.

Which brought us onto the subject of me possibly working from home with my laptop in bed. She cautioned against this, because of the fact that I wouldn't be lying down while typing, so again no advantage to raising the foot on pillows, and there was the potential to give myself all kinds of back & neck problems, if I didn't take breaks every 30 mins.

Finally, the physio booked me in for another appointment next wednesday, when I will be able to start my rehab exercises. I asked her if I could start them on my own in the gym since I remember all the exercise from last year's pre-hab, and she said definitely not - I needed to be supervised & monitored while doing my exercises since the graft is very vulnerable at this stage.

So this means I have to find some other way to tire myself out during the day. I may have to resort to watching Top Gear DVDs ...  ;D

Offline ouch09

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #44 on: July 12, 2010, 02:09:30 AM »
Hi Yulianichya,

I'm doing well thanks. My knee is feeling much better than it did in the first 2 weeks, although I still have swelling and pain at night for which I am now taking ibuprofen before I go to bed.

How is your knee after your meniscus repair ? From your sig, I see you've had a few knee procedures.

cheers,

Deepak

support