Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Deepak's ACL reconstruction 24-6-10  (Read 85513 times)

Offline ouch09

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 0
Deepak's ACL reconstruction 24-6-10
« on: June 26, 2010, 10:47:31 AM »
Day 1

I was up till 3am the night before the op, trying to clear as much clutter as possible so there would be no trip hazards. I managed to clear the majority but there are still some left.

I had 2 hours sleep then had to be up at 5am to leave home by 6.30am. I did my normal morning knee, hip and back (I have a bad back as well as a bad knee) stretches, then drank as much water as possible at 5.30, that being the last time I was allowed to drink water pre-op.

I got to the hospital at 8 and was asked to change into my surgery clothes : underpants (unlike Cosmicsnuffle, mine were not paper, but were cloth; imagine undies made like string vests, i.e. They hide nothing but hold your bits in place), anti-embolism stocking for the non-injured leg, gown with an open back, dressing gown with an open front to cover the back ... :), surgery slippers.

I was then seen by the surgeon who asked me to confirm my name and date of birth and which knee was injured. Clearly there have been mixups before, so this is now safety procedure. I was asked to sign a consent form, having been told the potential risks of surgery.

Next I was seen by a nurse who asked me if I was allergic to anything (no) and if I was on any medication (no). She took my blood pressure and pulse.

Next I was seen by the  anaesthetist who asked if I had general anaesthetic before, which I had when I was 19 to remove my wisdom teeth.

Then it was over to the operating theatre at 8.30 (I had been expecting to spend the morning reading a book, so this was a bit of a surprise). The anaesthetist put a needle in the back of my hand and then rather than asking me to count to ten, asked me where I lived and what I did for a living. By the time I finished answering the second question I felt myself feeling very sleepy ...

More to follow ... 
« Last Edit: July 01, 2010, 09:47:52 PM by ouch09 »
ACL rupture playing football May 2009
ACL hamstring autograft reconstruction 24-6-10

Offline moz

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
Re: Deepak's ACL surgery
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2010, 12:39:41 PM »
I look forward to hearing your progress. I'm two weeks out and back to work  on Monday (mainly sedentary work). Hope all has gone well and for the future of your rehab. What were the details of your reconstruction in you don't mind saying?

Offline Cosmicsnuffle

• Forum Faithful
  • Life's short - eat pudding first!
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2010, 11:42:01 PM »
Hey Deepak,

Congratulations on getting through your surgery. I'm quite jealous of your assigned undies! Obviously upmarket  ;).

I hope you are managing to avoid the trip hazards and everything is going well for you. Looking forward to your updates.

:)

Oct 04 - torn meniscus
Dec 05 meniscal trim and debridement
Sep 09 torn ACL, kissing contusions, knee locked 30-60o
Jan 10 ACL stump debrided, lateral parrot beak meniscal tear trimmed
May 10 ACLr (Hamstring)
Aug 11 mfx (focal lesion lateral femoral condyle)
Jun 14 100k walk London-Brighton 28hrs

Offline tez27

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2010, 08:11:45 PM »
Hi Deepak
Good news your on the other side of surgery I hope all is going well and the pain is not too bad, look forward to your next exciting instalment of all things aclr.
Take care Tez
L K injured 25th June 2008
scope Jan 5th 10
diagnosis ACL rupture
fiberous band excised from acl
ACLr July 19th 2010  scope on 24th Sept 2011
ACL has failed incorrect tunnel placement
23rd July 2012 1st stage of a 2 stage ACL revision
10th May 2013 2nd stage ACL revision

Offline ouch09

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2010, 10:11:15 PM »
Hi moz, I had a quad autograft.

Hi Cosmic and tez, I'm doing well thanks. Sorry, I've been a bit slow with my update, will be putting that right now  :)

Offline ouch09

• Forum Faithful
Re: Deepak's ACL surgery 24-6-10
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2010, 11:09:11 PM »
Day 1 contd.

Apparently I was out of theatre by 10.30, but didn't wake up till about 12.30.

The surgeon was sitting next to my bed (I hope he hadn't been waiting there long for me to wake up) and informed me that the surgery went well & that arthroscopy confirmed what MRI had told : there was no meniscus or condyle damage. The ACL reconstruction had gone without a hitch. I had expected to wake up in pain & was very pleasantly surprised to find that I was pain-free. I thanked him and then fell back asleep.

Next, I was woken by a nurse who informed me that I was in a brace, and that I could take off my dressings the next day. She gave me a info pack with details of when my stitches would be removed, what to do if I was concerned (ring my GP), my hospital discharge sheet, an exercise sheet (quad sets, heels slides, straight leg raises, RICE), and a rebah protocol schedule (partial weight bearing for the first 2 weeks in a brace locked between 0 degrees extension and 90 degrees flexion, and details of the usual physio exercises for the next year).

The nurse offered me a bottle to empty my bladder, which I hadn't thought about until she mentioned it, but now that she had I realised I was dying to go for a piss. Try as I might, nothing was happening. It then dawned on me that the reason I was pain-free was that I was heavily drugged-up, and either the pain-killer or the anaesthetic were preventing me from emptying my bladder. The nurse suggested I try doing it standing up (wow, what do mean stand up ? I've just got out of surgery !), but remarkably I was able to stand up & thankfully was able to empty my bladder, which was a huge relief. If I hadn't managed, the nurse was threatening me with a catheter ... :o I then fell asleep again.

Next, I was woken by a physio, who wanted me to get out of bed so she could show me how to use the crutches they had provided for me. ("They don't mess about here" I thought to myself !  :)) I really appreciated this because last year when I was given crutches in A & E, they didn't tell me how to use them and I ended up using only one & giving myself a shoulder rotator cuff injury to add to my ACL rupture. The physio led me to a gym where she showed me how to climb up & down stairs - again I didn't get this instruction last year, but luckily worked it out for myself. I was still groggy, so went back to bed and (you guessed it) fell asleep again.

By this time it was about 2pm, and it was about time for me to go home. I was asked to walk to the recovery area and then sit on a chair with leg supports. I was offered a cheese sandwich and a cup of tea to wake me up. I struggled to eat the sandwich and only managed a mouthful, although I finished my tea.

Soon, my parents and sister turned up to collect me, but I was still groggy, so I was left to sleep off the anaesthetic. By 5.30, all the other day-surgery patients had gone home and there was only me left. It was time to go, even though I was still groggy.

My sister called a taxi, but it didn't arrive for over an hour  >:( I had read from other people's post-op diaries that they vomited, so I had expected to do likewise, but so far had felt fine. However, while I was waiting for the taxi, my stomach decided that it didn't really like the sandwich or tea - I felt queasy, but luckily didn't actually puke.

I was supposed to go home to my flat with my dad to help me, but it was decided that I looked too groggy to go home (the nurses told my sister that I should have been wide-awake & that my sleepiness was unusual). I was instead taken to my brother's house (he has a bigger house than my sister or parents). There I managed to have some slices of water-melon, which were much easier to digest than the cheese sandwich.

I had a diclofenac (non-steroidal anti-inflammatory) and codeine tablet and went to bed.

Offline ouch09

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2010, 11:51:04 PM »
Day 2

I woke up about 8am and had a breakfast. My stomach was feeling much better, so i decided to try some orange juice with bread, and some cereal. Luckily, it all stayed down  ;) I took another diclofenac & codeine tablet.

After breakfast, I felt tired and went back to bed. I woke a couple of hours later and removed the crepe bandage from my leg to reveal my surgery wounds : 2 each side of the knee just below the patella, 1 on the anterior medial side of the tibia (this I presume was where the drill was inserted), and then surpringly one on the lateral side of my quad ... this was when I realised that the surgeon had not used my hamstring as the graft site, but rather had used the quad - I'm not sure how common this is, since I don't remember reading about it on knee guru ...

By the late afternoon I felt confident enough to go for a short 10 minute walk (after strapping on my brace), which was problem free. I remembered that the physio said I should try to be up & about as much as possible, rather than lying in bed which would prolong my recovery. I then iced the knee since it had got hot.

Buoyed-up by the success of my first "solo walk", I decided to be all big & clever and sit at the dinner table without elevating my leg. I then spent a couple of hours sitting on a chair without elevating my leg listening to my 6 year-old nephew playing piano. At the age of 6, his playing is already way beyond my one-finger-at-a-time-with-the-right-hand playing.

I realised that I wasn't so big & clever when I was going to bed and noticed that my calf was throbbing : blood had pooled in the calf and the calf was swollen to the point that the skin felt painful due to being stretched. I lay on my back and stuck the bad leg vertically in the air and did some ankle pumps to try to pump the blood out of the calf. Some of it pumped out but alot was left, and I needed to take a diclofenac tablet to ease the pain, so I could sleep. I decided to stop taking the codeine since it was constipating me and my pain was manageable without it.

Offline ouch09

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2010, 09:46:38 PM »
Day 3

Started doing my exercises, having got a rude awakening the night before with the swollen calf : ankle pumps, heel slides, quad sets, single leg raises.

The knee is now slightly painful - clearly the codeine was masking the pain yesterday.

Got a taxi with my dad back to my flat on the other side of London : a 2 hour journey in the heat with no air con, although I had a very interesting discussion with the taxi driver about world affairs (needless to say, he wasn't a black cab driver  ;) - for those outside Britain, taxi drivers in London who drive the classic black-coloured cabs are notorious for being bigots).

Although I'd been very well looked after by my brother & sister-in-law, it felt great to be home !
« Last Edit: July 16, 2010, 12:52:53 AM by ouch09 »

Offline tez27

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 8
Re: Deepak's ACL reconstruction 24-6-10
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2010, 10:15:10 PM »
You must be pleased to be home but that taxi ride must mave been dreadfull, how did you manage sitting through that??
At least now your home you can start your rehab. How much can you do at this stage being up and around etc?
I hope you settel back into being home without too many problems and your pain stays under control.
Take care Tez
L K injured 25th June 2008
scope Jan 5th 10
diagnosis ACL rupture
fiberous band excised from acl
ACLr July 19th 2010  scope on 24th Sept 2011
ACL has failed incorrect tunnel placement
23rd July 2012 1st stage of a 2 stage ACL revision
10th May 2013 2nd stage ACL revision

Offline ouch09

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2010, 10:16:13 PM »
Day 4

I was finally able to open my bowels for the first time post-op - changealluyah !

I'm getting into the routine of knee exercises, icing and then doing it again in a couple of hours. Doing lots of ankle pumps.

My dad cooked a meal, which meant I was eating fresh food rather than ready meals.

I'm able to walk around in my flat without crutches or the brace. I do use crutches to walk up & down the stairwell in the building.

When I go out, I put on the tubigrip & brace, but my leg gets very hot (the temperature at the moment is 30 deg celcius).

Offline ouch09

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2010, 10:31:22 PM »
tez, the 2 hour taxi ride wasn't as bad as I made out - we had the windows down and there was a bit of a breeze. The taxi driver really did make me forget about my injury with his conversation.

On the Cosmicsnuffle scale, I'm doing quite well : I've done 3 washes, but I wimped out on the ironing and my dad kindly did it for me. I've managed to sweep the floor in the kitchen & lounge where me & my dad have dropped crumbs on the floor  :) I've had 2 showers with no need for the shower stool.

My knee gets painfull if I spend more than 20 minutes standing/walking, or 10 minutes sitting on the sofa with the op leg elevated on some books on the coffee table, or even 20 minutes with my leg straight out on a chair while I use the computer (hence the reason for my slow diary). A laptop tray for use in bed is sounding like a very good idea ...

Offline Cosmicsnuffle

• Forum Faithful
  • Life's short - eat pudding first!
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2010, 11:22:46 PM »
Deepak

Just checking the KG world is still there before I shut down for bed (Mr Vario at the gym has left me all adrenalised - that and cooking a risotto for a hungry 14 year when we got back from the gym at 10pm!!)....

........I had to post to you.... the Cosmicsnuffle Scale ... I love it - you've made my day  ;D ;D ;D :-* :-* :-* :-* ;D ;D ;D ;D.

Sounds like you are doing really well. Just take it steady, be religious about your exercises and be very careful on those stairs!!

Night night, hope you have a comfy night's sleep.

xx
Oct 04 - torn meniscus
Dec 05 meniscal trim and debridement
Sep 09 torn ACL, kissing contusions, knee locked 30-60o
Jan 10 ACL stump debrided, lateral parrot beak meniscal tear trimmed
May 10 ACLr (Hamstring)
Aug 11 mfx (focal lesion lateral femoral condyle)
Jun 14 100k walk London-Brighton 28hrs

Offline ouch09

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2010, 11:51:47 PM »
Day 5

Went for a shopping trip with my dad (to carry the shopping  :)) to the local supermarket, which is a 15 min walk at my slow crutch-walking speed. In total we were probably out for about 45 mins.

Phoned the orthopaedic dept where my ACLr was done because I wasn't sure if I should be taking off the dressing on my surgery wounds. In the heat, I'm concerned that the skin is getting sweaty under the dressing, and therefore a source of infection. The surgeon told me that if I got an infection in the joint, it couldn't be cleared merely by antibiotics, but would require another operation to clean the joint - something to avoid if at all possible ! The orthopaedic dept tell me to make an appointment with my GP practice nurse. I get one for tomorrow afternoon.

After dinner, went for a 20 min walk. Felt fine while walking, but when I got home, I realised I had pulled slightly on the wound on the right of the knee and it had bled slighly under the dressing. My calf is also really swollen and is now killing me  :(

[artistic license begins]

A supermodel (who shall remain nameless) phoned me to ask if I would like to join her for dinner. On the menu is a slice of cucumber to start, a gram of cocaine for the main course, and a laxative for desert. I thank her for the invitation, but have to decline since I've already eaten and the menu didn't sound too appetising, except for the desert ... I promise to rearrange for another time.

[artistic license ends]

Offline ouch09

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2010, 11:59:49 PM »
Cosmic, glad you liked the name of your scale, which is currently under review by the ISO (International Standards Organisation).  ;D

Sounds like you're doing really well too - already at the gym ! I can't wait for my physio programme to start. Unfortunately, I have to wait 6 weeks before I can get back in the pool ...

Hope you have a good night too !

Offline ouch09

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2010, 12:24:28 AM »
Day 6

The GP practice nurse says she is reluctant to change my dressing without discussing it first with the orthopaedic dept on the phone. She informs them that there is a small area of fresh blood under one of the dressings. They tell her it is not significant and that the dressing is designed to be kept on until the stitches are removed. Even though the skin is sweating under the dressing, it should not be a cause for concern.

I feel like I've brewed a storm in a teacup, but I think its better to be safe than sorry.

Clearly I overdid things yesterday by going for 2 walks ( :P This would be a laughable amount of exercise normally but I've learned that you have to take it really slow after ACLr).

I've learned my lesson, no more food shopping trips. Time to do some internet shopping ! I feel like an invalid doing this (last year I never needed to resort to internet shopping but then I didn't have 4 surgery wounds) but I've realised my body's current limits.

support