Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: ACL Recon - Yes or No?  (Read 2814 times)

Offline Rafi

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
ACL Recon - Yes or No?
« on: June 25, 2010, 09:50:55 PM »
i have had surgery on my left knee three times:
1998  lateral release, torn meniscus and removal of a piece of my knee cap that was chipped off
1999 torn meniscus
2006 torn meniscus

I've recently been diagnosed with a torn meniscus yet again and a partial tear of my ACL. When I met with my doctor initially and asked why this keeps happening, he said the laxity in my ACL could be contributing to the repeated meniscus tears. Yet, he is telling me that he wouldn't reconstruct the ACL right now if it were his knee. I dont necessarily want ACL reconstruction and certainly dont look forward to the recovery, but I would really like for this to be the last knee surgery I have to have....EVER! I also dont want to have to modify my lifestyle and activities to not put stress on my ACL. I'm only 32. The decision is all dependent upon what he finds once he's in my knee with the scope. I have to decide how to tell him to proceed once I'm under. My question is has anyone ever faced this same decision? I really dont want to end up with another meniscal tear in a few months or years and have to go back through this again.

Offline Audice

• Global Moderator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 8
Re: ACL Recon - Yes or No?
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2010, 01:36:18 PM »
Hi Rafi ~ A dilemma for sure. If I'd done to my knee what I did at the age of 67, I most likely would have opted for reconstruction but after 5 years of living with no ACL etc, I realize there are ways around the problem. Besides which I wasn't offered ACLr. Too old.

I can still ride my horse comfortably but I sure wouldn't want to play a game of tag with one of my big dogs...unless I were wearing my custom knee brace. Last Fall I was walking my two big dogs when the greyhound slammed sideways into me. Of course he hit the damaged knee & I went down resulting in 3 bones fractured in my hand. Since then I wear the brace when I'm walking dogs.

IOW...I've learned when the brace will help stabilize my knee & when I don't need it. BUT, whether you go for reconstruction or not basically depends on your activity & frustration levels.

I can do about everything I want to do. I can zip up & down stairs. I can work at the farm. I can lead horses safely & as I said, I can ride. But if I were to work my horse on a longe line, I'd definitely don my brace. And to walk the dogs - again, the brace. What it boils down to is how seriously you can work to keep you leg muscles good & strong & how easily you can retain the lifestyle you want w/o further injury.

Have you had an PT or been involved in any activity that strengthens your leg muscles? Wishing you well...Ellie
April, 2005 - ACL rupture, medial meniscus tear within posterior horn to articular surface, abnormal signal within lateral meniscus, partial tear MCL, bone contusions tibia/fibula, Baker's cyst.
No repairs.

Offline Rafi

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2010, 02:58:53 PM »
Thanks for the response. I've talked further with my OS and he understands that whatever is wrong, I'd like it fixed now and not down the line. I do have one more question though. Does anyone here know the acceptable degree of laxity for full functionality or the acceptable remaining diameter since I only have a partial tear.

Offline blew_knee

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2010, 02:07:45 PM »
Hello..

its very dificult to say the acceptable degrees of laxity.... it depends on your body ( leg ) and level of activity...
 ther's a info in this forum about ACL reconstruction failure (revision) by dr. Noyes.  to define if a acl graft is a failure they perform a set of funcional tests not only tecnical issues like laxity

theres some tests like "pivot shift" and others to get sensible status of knee stability.

but down the line, in your case ( lax ACL not a lax ACL graft ), its depends on what you feel...

- ACl + meniscus 03.2008 - ACLr 4 monts after.
-stretch ACL Graft 5.5 months after surgery.
doc's dont want to do surgery because i dont have pain and have a partial function ACL
-Rehab 6 months, pain starts cant find doc to help me... dam country
+ 5 months ACL revision- not so stable knee