Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: what is really Non weight Bearing after OATS ACI MACI etc  (Read 3797 times)

Offline sleepylawyer

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 3
what is really Non weight Bearing after OATS ACI MACI etc
« on: June 25, 2010, 08:29:46 PM »
I have been told i will need one of the above - MRI in September decision taken then.  I am curious about the rehab and would like to know what NWB really means in particular could I drive a manual car whilst NWB.  Can you potter around and go up and downstairs and make a meal etc.

Also if the surgery is open how long is the hospital stay?

Thanks
07/09 diagnosed with lateral discoid meniscus with large tear RK menisectomy
03/10 diagnosed with new meniscus tear RK.
05/10 partial menisectomy, lavage and debridement 2x2 cm square Grade 4 hole in medial femoral condyle articular cartilage RK
07/11 LK medial meniscal tear
08/11 APOS shoes fitted

Offline blometti

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Re: what is really Non weight Bearing after OATS ACI MACI etc
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2010, 03:20:14 PM »
I had oats done in Feb of this year. NWB meant just that for 12 weeks for me.I was able to drive a automatic after a couple weeks. there was no way I could have done manual. you dont have the muscle necessary, nor the ability to move your foot like that. maybe after 8 weeks its possible, but you could be risking damaging your knee.
As for getting around the house, you can do anything as long as you have your crutches.... or get a wheelchair- it helps.
Hospital stay will vary. Mine was set to be an overnight stay, but ended up being 4 days due to complications when they put the tube down my throat during surgery. But before surgery, doc was very confident I would be there just overnight. And yes mine was open surgery- a nice 9 inch cut!
I should also note that my surgery was rathe massive- i had 3 huge plugs done- almost 75% of my femur was replaced. So my recovery time was much longer than the average oats. They also did a microfracture on the tibia.
good luck, feel free to ask any questions

Offline lis1

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2010, 08:48:38 PM »
Hi i had 12 plugs done, 10 on femur and 2 on tibia in June 2008.  Mine was successful, another surgeon has been in since to address another problem and where there was bone on bone in a huge area there isnt now.  NWB meant no weight not even touching the floor with the affected leg.  Due to swelling going down enough he allowed to to PWB at 4 weeks when he had originally told me 6.  I was on crutches for a total of 10 weeks and was driving short distances in my manual car at 7 weeks.

I had open surgery and was only in for one night, although if i am honest i wish it had been for 2 or 3.

BTW it hurts.............lots for about 10 days and then gets much better.

Lisa x
remidial meniscemtomy 1994
scope and tidy up july 2006
acl reconstruction and microfractures oct 2006 (failed on both counts)
oats june 2008 - very successful
acl revision patella tendon - oct 09

Offline AndrewH

• Regular Poster
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2010, 04:07:37 PM »
NWB meant no weight not even touching the floor with the affected leg. 

Hi Lisa

I've seen this mentioned before but I was instructed by my surgeon and physio that I should use my affected leg to "touch down" in order to keep some balance. It lessens the possibility of falling over which would be much more disasterous.

Just as long as its only "touch down" and not putting any weight through it.
June 09 - Microfracture to MFC right knee 1.5 x 1cm
July 10 - Mosaicplasty to MFC right knee 1.4 x 1.2cm (4 plugs) plus mosaicplasty to small lesion on patella (1 plug) and microfrcature to another small lesion, also on patella