Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: TruFit Plug Surgery 8 days ago  (Read 20088 times)

Offline PieceDesigner

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
Re: TruFit Plug Surgery 8 days ago
« Reply #30 on: December 30, 2009, 03:06:14 AM »
Hi Justin!  So glad to hear you're post surgery and mending. I did have to cringe when I read your post. Sure brought back those awful memories of the first days post surgery.  :o  Hope you're feeling better with each new day. 

Have you started PT already?

Up until the last few days my knee has felt pretty good. I'm 6 months post surgery, and since the shots the knee has had great improvement. It's been more achy, especially at night, but it could be due to the weather. We had an unusual big snowstorm Christmas eve, frigid temps, and another snow expected tonight. We usually don't have winter weather like this, so maybe my knee is revolting.  ;)  I don't want to even think about the possibility that the shots are wearing off!

Best wishes for a speedy recovery, and a wonderful 2010!

Keep me posted.

Nan

Offline rockchalkhawk00

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #31 on: June 18, 2010, 08:39:55 AM »
Hi Nan,

I am not sure if you check this post much, but I just wanted to let you know I had the same results for the MFX...failure.  We tried the protein shots, tons of PT, restrictions, etc, but my knee did not repair itself.  The wound was much larger this time around, over 2 cm, so my ortho only gave it a 50/50.  I did have a small miracle happen though in the last couple weeks, I had read a post about someone with the same issues as me (I now have "kissing" lesions on the back of my kneecap and it locks with the wound in the groove.) and the use of leukotape.  My PT rarely used it and my Ortho looked at me like I had lost it, but they let me try it and suddenly I could walk without dragging my leg!  I even did a whole day at seaworld with minimal issues, but the tape has to be place just right or I rub against the damaged edge of the wound.  It also helps me stand for more than 5 mins with out the rush of pain.  Anyway, I have explored all my options and it looks like I have only 2 options left, knee replacement with cadavor tissue (Fresh Osteochondral Allografting) or a knee replacement with standard metal and plastic.  I will shoot for the allograft, but their are only a few surgeons in the country who do it and you have to find a matching (deceased) partner.

How are you doing?  Are the trufit plugs still beneficial ?

Justin
2006 - Lateral Release, MFX (Troc Groove), Debridement (Left)
2007 - Lateral Release, Debridement (Right)
2008 - Scope for arthrofibrosis, Debridement (L)
2009 - MFX (Troc Groove), Lateral Release, plica cleanout (L)
2010 - Autologous chondrocyte implantation (L)

Offline PieceDesigner

• Regular Poster
« Reply #32 on: June 18, 2010, 03:35:10 PM »
Hi Justin,

I haven't been on this forum in months, but was glad to see your post!  I'm sorry your knee is still giving you so much grief.   :(  I hope the leukotape continues to help you, and lets you hold off on any surgery... but if you have to have it, may all the planets line up correctly, and you find that surgeon and match! 

My knee started showing a little improvement after the shots, but then seemed to get worse, but.......  I can report now that the last 3+ months my knee is doing great!  I have trouble going down stairs, but can do it, although I don't try to push myself, but I'm climbing stairs, and walking without a limp.  The pain is negligible, and only if I have a very active day or stand on concrete all day do I get any swelling, but it's not enough to make me grab ice.  I have forced myself to stay active and make my knee stronger.  The area of the TruFit Plug has no pain and no problems.  The area under the kneecap that had just the MFX is where I still have the troubles, but I can definitely live with it now.

Next week will be one year since surgery. After so many rough months, I never thought I'd report that my knee feels about 95%+ recovered.  (Mind you, I won't be running or rock climbing in this lifetime, lol).

My doctor still thinks knee replacement is in my future, but I'm being optimistic that it won't be anytime soon. (Hope I haven't just jinxed myself!)  ;D

Best wishes, Justin. Keep me posted.

Nan